What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wild meat

undertaker

Coach
Has anyone here ever eaten venison or buffalo meat? What does it taste like compared with beef and lamb?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They both (to my tastebuds) taste like gamey beef. Its hard to describe but I feel beef is the nearest comparison.

Houdini

First Grade
I have eaten both, venison is delicious and the buffalo wasn't bad. Neither taste like lamb.

I have eaten game meat in Africa (eland, kudu, springbok & gemsbock) and neither venison or buffalo tasted half as "gamey" as those.

Give it a try, you might like it.

I tried Alpaca a few weeks back and of all the meats I have tried, that was the one I liked the least

Cletus

First Grade
Possum goes good

Really? Ringtail or brushtail?

The only wild meat I've had is rabbit and duck. Rabbit was ok, but the duck was too gamey especially the fat. And I was spitting out lead pellets, that can't be good for you.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Camel is my favourite.

A good cut, and there are not many on the animal, is like having a lovely beefsteak without any fat.

It is a shame we do not have more resources in this country to make it a bigger industry. But transport costs are too high and very few abattoirs will touch them. Hopefully development in black fella employment in Central Australia may lead to improvements.

I have known some blokes who shoot camels on stations in Central Australia and butcher them with chainsaws.

Frailty

First Grade
Venison was a gamey, but I found Buffalo and Camel quite bland.

Regularly ate Kangaroo and Venison for a couple of years.

dubo

Juniors
I've tried a few bush pigs in my time, when desperate.

Last edited:

dubo

Juniors
Camel is my favourite.

A good cut, and there are not many on the animal, is like having a lovely beefsteak without any fat.

It is a shame we do not have more resources in this country to make it a bigger industry. But transport costs are too high and very few abattoirs will touch them. Hopefully development in black fella employment in Central Australia may lead to improvements.

I have known some blokes who shoot camels on stations in Central Australia and butcher them with chainsaws.

A nice juicy camel toe is hard to knock back

Danish

Referee
I've had venison and kangaroo quite a bit. Eaten rabbit, ox, and various birds as a an adult as well which were all fine.

Weirdest stuff I've eaten would be crocodile and emu as a kid, and sea urchin as an adult. Can't really remember what the croc and emu tasted like as I was pretty young, but the sea urchin was surprisingly good

dubo

Juniors
I've had venison and kangaroo quite a bit. Eaten rabbit, ox, and various birds as a an adult as well which were all fine.

Weirdest stuff I've eaten would be crocodile and emu as a kid, and sea urchin as an adult. Can't really remember what the croc and emu tasted like as I was pretty young, but the sea urchin was surprisingly good

ox is shit, tried it myself and will never go back there again unless I'm desperate. Very stringy.

Frailty

First Grade

I'm a fan of crocodile. If I had to describe it, I'd say a mixture of fish and chicken. Very much a chicken texture. Season with some herbs and a touch of lemon juice and it is stunning.

Someone

Bench
like any type of meat it depends how its cooked and what sort of animal. Cant beat a fawns back straps but has to be pink in the middle.

shaggs

Coach
I'm a big fan of insects. High in protein and basically nothing else. Crickets, cockroaches, meal worms etc.

Bloody good wok fried with some soy and coriander.

Not really meat.

Meat wise, the more endangered the better.
I like camel and crocodile. Water buffalo was tough and stringy.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Wild boar is delicious

We don;t strictly get wild boar in Australia, our wild pork is feral pig which is a slightly different species. Still delicious though.

I've had wild pork, venison, and roo on multiple occasions, all can be pretty tasty. Only had camel once and it was tough but was probably cooked wrong. Also had wild sheep and goat which were both good. Wild meat generally has more flavour and less fat than it's farmed counterpart.

legend

Coach
I'm a big fan of insects. High in protein and basically nothing else. Crickets, cockroaches, meal worms etc.

Bloody good wok fried with some soy and coriander.

Not really meat.

Meat wise, the more endangered the better.
I like camel and crocodile. Water buffalo was tough and stringy.

:lol::lol::lol: