What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Mathews

since77

Juniors
Seriously glad for him he's back on the field after a nasty injury but I hope I never see him play first grade for the Dragons again. Hopefully we've moved past having to field players like him and Marketo in our top 17.

Hope he gets a run with someone else though, seems like a nice chap.

Seriously glad for him he's back on the field after a nasty injury but I hope I never see him play first grade for the Dragons again. Hopefully we've moved past having to field players like him and Marketo in our top 17.

Hope he gets a run with someone else though, seems like a nice chap.
Why bother bringing up Marketo Mathews is and has always been a better player.

Old Timer

Coach
Doesn't matter he should never see 1st grade again and should be let go to help save the $$$ needed to help secure another senior high quality prop if there is one available
No room for him unfortunately

OzDragon

Coach
Doesn't matter he should never see 1st grade again and should be let go to help save the $$$ needed to help secure another senior high quality prop if there is one available
I keep hearing this sentiment on here.

It's players like Matthews that are good to have as a replacement. Relatively cheap and reliable. If we don't sign some of these fringe first graders, our depth will be well and truely f**ked as some point. They're more important than most people realise.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
First time I saw Matthews play, he got Thaiday with a really good tackle right under the rib cage. Thaiday spilled the ball and the whole momentum of the game changed. Saints beat the Broncos that day and I've been a fan ever since. He's never going to be a gun player, he's never going to represent, but he's never going to let anyone down either.

Glad he's back on the paddock.

getsmarty

Immortal
Matthews braces for return
Fri 9th June, 12:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra forward Will Matthews would call himself a liar if he said there weren’t any nerves ahead of his return to the field on Saturday afternoon.

Matthews, who dislocated his hip during February’s Charity Shield, has been named on the bench for the Illawarra to play the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Belmore Sportsground.

"I would be lying if I said I hadn’t been thinking about it during the week," Matthews said.

"It’s more mental than anything. I’m sure once I make a few runs and make a few tackles, I’ll start to forget about it. But at the moment, it’s still in the back of my head."

Matthews said he feared his season may have been over when he sustained the injury, crediting the medical staff for his quick return to the field.

"When I first did it, I thought that it might have been my season gone, but I worked pretty hard with the medical staff and we are pretty confident it should be good to go," the 92 NRL game veteran said.

"I was on crutches for about five weeks. I just had to let it rest, and then when I was able to weight bare again, it was just about making it strong again.

"It’s feeling good now, so I’m excited to get back out there."

Despite having to spend the first half of the season on the sidelines, the 29-year-old credits the team’s positive attitude for their success in 2017.

"It’s a great place to be around at the moment," Matthews said.

"It’s very hard to watch, obviously, but I’m happy for the boys that they are going well.

"It makes training a lot more enjoyable when the boys are winning and are playing pretty good footy."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/09/matthews_braces_for_.html

Old Timer

Coach
I keep hearing this sentiment on here.

It's players like Matthews that are good to have as a replacement. Relatively cheap and reliable. If we don't sign some of these fringe first graders, our depth will be well and truely f**ked as some point. They're more important than most people realise.
Just another road block to the progress of people with real potential
He had his chance at the big prize and wasn't good enough unfortunate but true
Tough world time to move on if he is good enough will get a gig somewhere else
Host, Kerr, Lawrie miles in front of him re potential and should be given their shot at it

since77

Juniors

Agree, but it's by a small margin. The point is both of them are out of their league in 1st grade, not that there is any shame in that. One reason (outside of poor coaching) why we were so bad last year was we had second rate players like this camped in our top 17 each week.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I hope that he goes well. We can only select players on form and consistency. If he earns his spot fair enough.

Another option for Mary. Would continue with Sele or Host in the short turn however, Will's experience could be used come semi time.

possm

Coach
Both would not be far off base pay and we need a couple of seniors in reserve grade when bringing through the young juniors who will cost about the same.

Crush

Coach
I like him. I have a feeling he will play out of his skin and force his way back into the nrl team bench.

possm

Coach
I like him. I have a feeling he will play out of his skin and force his way back into the nrl team bench.
I hope he plays out of his skin but would rather Kerr/Lawrie on the bench they need to be tested asap.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Both would not be far off base pay and we need a couple of seniors in reserve grade when bringing through the young juniors who will cost about the same.

Yep I've thought that too. Especially considering base next year goes up to 120k from 80k (I'm not certain on the figures), Matthews won't be much above that.

He adds key experience and definitely depth but wouldn't be in my top 20 or even top 25 because I want juniors to get a game first. If we go top 30, Matthews has a squad role to play.

The only question is, are we better off giving that position to another youngster with possibly more upside?