What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Paul Kent acknowledge that he might have got it wrong?.....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought Smith handled that well, you can tell he was almost gonna laugh off that question from Kent about being played in Penrith.

I like Smith as a CEO always answers the questions properly and seems passionate about spreading the game.

Someone

Bench
Questioning. As journalists are supposed to do. As have a number of posters. Fair question, and a fair response from Smith.

It was the way he had to have the final say that taking the game to penrith was a shit idea to detriment the intelligence of Dave Smith.

He's a smug bastard.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't see how he got it wrong.

His opinion is in the minority and clearly unpopular but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

oikee

Juniors
Kent was the reason the game was not as well supported. Sack the dopey bastard from NRL shows. Who needs enemies when your got Kent putting the contest down and telling people not to bother.
The guy is a fool, he should have been fined for losing the game crowd and viewers.
He told everyone not to bother , then brags he was right.
Either tell him to promote the game and shut up, or sack the dopey moron.
Is the NRL paying him to lose crowds and viewers.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't see how he got it wrong.

His opinion is in the minority and clearly unpopular but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Agree.

If this game was played between Ireland and Scotland at Penrith, and he had exactly the same view about the NRL being broken for a weekend to play an international fixture that drew 9k (apparently 'raucous' etc though) his comments would have been viewed with less vitriol.

But no, it was two Island countries and so the race card is easily presentable.

I'm not saying he was right, or even that he's not a giant douche. But the fall-out from it had a lot to do with the colour of the skins of the players in that Test, which is pathetic. Also what was pathetic was the physical threats and petty crap that came out from some Island players and supporters. 'Come past the hill at Penrith and see what happens to you'. What a pile of shit. Reflects worse on those people than Kent.

Chook

First Grade
David Smith is becoming more confident in the job every time I see him.

Kent tried to corner him a couple of times, but Smith played it well.

Kent needs to stop slurring his words. It ruins his hard hitting questions at times.

Couldn't agree more. Smith was a cut above dopey Paul and answered every stupid question the Kent through at him.

Noisecorp are such a f**kwit infested organisation. The low calibre of people it employs is demonstarted daily.

Chook.

Canard

Immortal
Agree.

If this game was played between Ireland and Scotland at Penrith, and he had exactly the same view about the NRL being broken for a weekend to play an international fixture that drew 9k (apparently 'raucous' etc though) his comments would have been viewed with less vitriol.

But no, it was two Island countries and so the race card is easily presentable.

I'm not saying he was right, or even that he's not a giant douche. But the fall-out from it had a lot to do with the colour of the skins of the players in that Test, which is pathetic. Also what was pathetic was the physical threats and petty crap that came out from some Island players and supporters. 'Come past the hill at Penrith and see what happens to you'. What a pile of shit. Reflects worse on those people than Kent.

This part of it just isn't a real factor though, Kent concentrated on it also because he clearly found it hard to argue his actual point.

Guys like him get all sorts of threats and invitations for fights on social media due to there opinion on football matters. Why is this form of it more deserving of Kent's response than any other threat?

For some reason people who agree with Kent, have over focused on this part of the feedback in trying to maintain an argument against International League.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Paul Kent's main argument was the NRL was building momentum with big crowds over Easter & ANZAC and then the NRL is paused for rep games such as Fiji v Samoa and City v Country which had very small crowds in comparison.

The only real way Paul Kent will be proven wrong is if NRL games this weekend continue to pull in the big crowds. Only then will his argument about the rep round stopping NRL momentum be wrong. Getting 30k+ to Tigers v Roosters on Friday night should be achievable based on recent crowds.

wests1

Juniors
I don't buy the notion that he was right for one second. People citing crowds have forgotten the fact that Kent very deliberately said that the NRL (a club comp) should not be interrupted by internationals (ie the idea that club comes before international). He may genuinely believe that, but it is a horrible misreading of where our priorities should be. If internationals are competitive (like they were on the weekend) the game will grow much more than if the club comp continues. Seriously, think about it. He thinks that the NRL is more important than the health of the international game which is short sighted. I only presume he thinks this because he thinks there's no life in international RL - the quality of footy a few days ago disputes this notion. When he went on his weekly contrived rant about the scheduling, he made no attempt to qualify the fact that he wasn't questioning the value of international rugby league. In fact it was only mentioned by Ben Ikin who said something along the lines of 'this is not to devalue the international game' - to which Kent just shrugged.

Those buying his whinge about people using the race card need to wake up as well. He's a news limited journo - their stock in trade is to whip Rednecks up into a frenzy about how everyone's against the white man. He would have been eagerly waiting for one idiot to bring the topic up so he could fire it off as the predominant voice of his opposition. Oldest trick in the book.

Canard

Immortal
Paul Kent's main argument was the NRL was building momentum with big crowds over Easter & ANZAC and then the NRL is paused for rep games such as Fiji v Samoa and City v Country which had very small crowds in comparison.

But it such a short sighted view, a lit bit of short term pain will provide a far greater long term gain.

The promotion of international League will benefit the game greatly, and ensure that the club competition gets even stronger.

The rest of the garbage that he spent entire columns on was not worthy of his time. For example will he spend an entire column on defending the DogLover69 tweet of "End Yourself" in response to an article he writes about Reynolds?

aads

Juniors
The whole point is missing if you don't understand he was talking about scheduling not the relevance of international football

Canard

Immortal
The whole point is missing if you don't understand he was talking about scheduling not the relevance of international football

To me thought that's so massively short sighted in insular.

By giving these games prominence is only going to help them getter a bigger profile and help the competition in the long run.

Saying "I don't want to watch Fiji v Samoa" to me does also indicate quite strongly that the man doesnt care about the international game.

Patorick

Staff member
Kent was the reason the game was not as well supported. Sack the dopey bastard from NRL shows. Who needs enemies when your got Kent putting the contest down and telling people not to bother.
The guy is a fool, he should have been fined for losing the game crowd and viewers.
He told everyone not to bother , then brags he was right.
Either tell him to promote the game and shut up, or sack the dopey moron.
Is the NRL paying him to lose crowds and viewers.
Presenting or producing?

Because he does both for Fox Sports.

wests1

Juniors
To me thought that's so massively short sighted in insular.

By giving these games prominence is only going to help them getter a bigger profile and help the competition in the long run.

Saying "I don't want to watch Fiji v Samoa" to me does also indicate quite strongly that the man doesnt care about the international game.

I wish to concur with you, good sir. In fact, I take it further. As I've stated before, Ben Ikin made the distinction between it being a scheduling issue and not a dig at International Rugby League and Paul Kent sort of went along with it. Very half-heartedly too.