What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will professional Rugby League in France ever switch to summer like Super League?

Highway1

Juniors
If they insist on a winter season, then I can't see how France ever being competitive again. If it's too hot, they can always schedule matches during the night; but in saying that, I'm not too savvy in French culture.

TV wise, could be the best thing that could happen as French rugby league isn't competing against many pro sports, as far as I'm aware.

If it worked for the UK, surely it'll work for France.

VictoryFC

Bench
If they insist on a winter season, then I can't see how France ever being competitive again. If it's too hot, they can always schedule matches during the night; but in saying that, I'm not too savvy in French culture.

TV wise, could be the best thing that could happen as French rugby league isn't competing against many pro sports, as far as I'm aware.

If it worked for the UK, surely it'll work for France.

At the same time, SL still faces a lot of competition from cricket, tennis, golf, motor racing, cycling, soccer off season... all of which pull in greater media interest.

The big difference between France and England (as far as I can tell) is that at least in England the game has a solid base which it can always rely and fall back on. And it uses this base to stay successful and to prosper. Is there such a place in France?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Too hot in the south of France in summer. The climate is similar to south-eastern Australian summers with days often in the 30°s and up to 40° or more.

It's probably why the Dragons manage to pull in so many Brits too. Toulouse would more than likely not get the travelling beach goer pom if they ever joined SL.

bobmar28

Bench
If French rugby league is played in summer then League around the world will be played at the same time. I think that is an advantage.

Wilson1

Juniors
play in the evening........either way they need to move to summer

I bet its still very hot at 7 at night. To me, it would only make sense to make the switch if the French league actually became fully professional like the super league. Otherwise what is the point?

Highway1

Juniors
I had a brief look on the climates of southern France cities and Northern Australia cities and I must say, the climates of Southern France in a summer and Northern Australia in a winter are not too dissimilar. As we all know the North Queensland Cowboys nrl team manage these climates by playing at night, so why can't French rugby league clubs do it?

Highway1

Juniors
At the same time, SL still faces a lot of competition from cricket, tennis, golf, motor racing, cycling, soccer off season... all of which pull in greater media interest.

The big difference between France and England (as far as I can tell) is that at least in England the game has a solid base which it can always rely and fall back on. And it uses this base to stay successful and to prosper. Is there such a place in France?

You're right VictoryFC, playing rugby league in a summer can somehow be comprimised by having to compete against massive sports events such as the Tour de France and French open tennis. But in saying that, I don't think plaing during in summer will be anyworse than playing in winter, in regards to attendances, media attention and prospering.