What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Dragons bublle burst

ALSGI

Bench
Andrew Voss Wed 19 Apr 2017

Will the Dragons' bubble burst?

I think this depends how high you set your expectations.

I don't have the Dragons remaining in the top two for the season, nor have I reserved a top four spot for them after just seven rounds.

But should they win against the Roosters, they will already be halfway to a competition points tally that would have secured them a finals berth last year. And that doesn't include two byes to come.

To be scoring an average of 20 points more per game this season on the same time last year, without a massive list of personnel changes, is a remarkable achievement.

The lack of 'big' scalps on their list is the area where plenty are putting up the question mark. So lets sit back and enjoy how the reinvented Dragons of 2017 handle the next fortnight before the Representative Round. Their opponents are the Roosters and the Storm.

If they finish the opening nine rounds with 16 points I know I'll be making a readjustment of my season forecast for Paul McGregor's men.

URL Link: https://m.nrl.com/voss-who-is-the-fastest-in-the-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/105811/default.aspx

BrissyRedV

Bench
If the team was just scrapping past teams, then it would suggest a bubble. But the way the team has transformed their attack and continues to improve says that they are much better than was touted. The teams defence as well has been stellar and shows the attitude of the players. So long as origin doesn't derail us, top 4 should be well within the teams grasp.

ALSGI

Bench
Another point, since when is the Sharks at home not a big scalp? Also, Last week they beat the Panthers 28 to 2 and and everyone is praising them and yet we beat them round 1 by a more impressive margin and recieve zero credit?
Exactly, never mind flogging Manly 35-10 at Brooky, when they'd flogged Cows in Townsville, flogged Bullgrubs at Brooky, and beat Easts before they played us.

denis preston

First Grade
Everyone is still scarred by the shit we dished up last year , including us the fans ! With only 2 new players ( and not superstars ) it is wait and see but I have a good feeling that a repeat of 2015 won't be on the cards but we are playing a high intensive tough game plan so perhaps some letdown may happen.

possm

Coach
In my view two things could cause our bubble to burst:
1. Discontent over the recruiting/retention matters before the club.
2. Burn out or injuries to key players.

I'm confident that given an even chance - bounce of the ball, ref decisions - we can beat any team in the competition.

I'd say if you want to increase our chance of winning each game, put Mann at right centre and Aitken on the bench this year.

giboz71

First Grade
Kenty on NRL 360 last night said we're winning largely on effort and this doesn't tend to disappear throughout the year.

Teams will have to outlclass us to beat us which is always a good thing.

I predict we'll make the 8, not sure about the top 4 though.

ALSGI

Bench
I totally get why there are doubters after last few years but with no Benji, Rein, Marketo.. this bubble isn't going to burst.

There is genuine competition for each spot, and belief with confidence.

I also totally get the haters for ruining their footy tipping. I think Voss has only tipped us once this year against Warriors.

BennyV

Referee
Great idea for a new coach!
nintchdbpict000279366027.jpg

Crush

Coach
Rep round might hurt.
Article yesterday saying we could lose up to 14 players to the various rep teams next month.
You can gaurentee we will pick up a few injuries, we always do

possm

Coach
Rep round might hurt.
Article yesterday saying we could lose up to 14 players to the various rep teams next month.
I agree. That and a performance like we saw in the second half last week.

SEAT 1A

Bench
LOL, at least the press are talking about team. If there was a bubble to burst, it would have been after Parra. Last years grand finalist's are below us after 7 rounds and the best +/-.

I'm loving it though. Easts will be under pressure, regardless of form Dragons are always up for the game.

The team got nothing in the second half last week and still won The force is still strong.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Rep round might hurt.

Bloody hell, I spoke to soon. That can obliterate the bubble.

The Doc

Juniors
We will be minor premiers this year.
The bubble wont burst.
A loss here and there wont mean the bubble busted.
We will win many games by 13+ margins and lose a couple by less then 8.
We are the team to beat, and will remain to be untill seasons end.
We dont need to beat any team to prove ourselves.
There is no team above us for us to use as a guide of how we are travelling.
We are first, teams will measure where they are at when they play us.
We are coming first....
We are the benchmark....
We are THE MIGHTY MIGHTY
ST GEORGE!!!!!!!

Morotti

Juniors
Still question whether we have that extra gear when it gets to the pointy end of the season.

Based on current ladder and our points tally to date you would expect we will be able to secure a finals spot. It simply depends on where we will be sitting.

Not sure whether we have that out and out superstar in the team to give us that extra kick along. Whilst I don't think Ben Hunt is a superstar, if we had him in this team playing the way we are then I would say we should be top 4.

Now that we have had a good start to the year teams will be wary so they will definitely be up when they come to play us.

We have four games until the bye and they will all be tough. Warriors will be tough because Foran will likely be playing and he will have few weeks under his belt so not to be underestimated. If we can win 2 out of these next 4 then we can go into the bye with a good rest in mind.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints key players (Widdop, JDB, Vaughn, Lafai, Nighty and McInness) remain injury free they will finish top 4 imo. They are in career best form those boys. Frizell, Thomo, Sims, McDonald and Packer have not hit peak YET. I am sure they will get better. Duges to come back into the side as well which is a great thing. Mann should get picked ahead of either McDonald or Aitken. He is a must for the starting backline spots.

Saints have great depth in all positions bar the halves. If Widdop gets injured they may struggle. With McCrone he is playing well but Field or Mann may surprise if given a crack in the No.7.

ALSGI

Bench
Speaking of McCrone, what try saver last week !!!! Did anyone notice his speed cutting accross and chasing a winger ??

Ain't no buble bursting just yet.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Gotta love the press.
At the start of the year we were one of the favourites for the spoon, now we're on top of the ladder and now they're waiting for the one or two losses, just so as to justify their original theories.
Even if we loose the next 2 games, it's not really about the losing it would be more about how we lost. I mean if, for example, we lose to the Chooks by 2, and the storm by 4, does that classify as the bubble bursting, simple answer is no. If, however, we get towelled by 30 in both games then yeah its back to the drawing board, but hardly a bubble burst.

Old Timer

Coach
TBH from this start and providing we avoid any major long term injuries we should definitely finish top 6 and anything less is a disaster.
If the bubble did burst and we finish outside that and we have already signed Mary to an extended contract then it is more like Hiroshima than bursting some piss arse bubble.

Cogburn

Juniors
We will be minor premiers this year.
The bubble wont burst.
A loss here and there wont mean the bubble busted.
We will win many games by 13+ margins and lose a couple by less then 8.
We are the team to beat, and will remain to be untill seasons end.
We dont need to beat any team to prove ourselves.
There is no team above us for us to use as a guide of how we are travelling.
We are first, teams will measure where they are at when they play us.
We are coming first....
We are the benchmark....
We are THE MIGHTY MIGHTY
ST GEORGE!!!!!!!

Delusional.