What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Dragons bublle burst

This Year?

Immortal
If we couldn't beat a geniused roosters side, how the hell are we gonna beat the darlings of the NRL?

Bubble burst, give up hope now to avoid future disappointment. Our Saviour Widderp won't be the same now until next contract.

The trolls are right, listen to them,

Jump off while you can.

Oust doust n all that.

Panic now!

Coffs dragon

Bench
It's going to be a tough 6 week period without Gaz & throw in the rep round, were we should be heavily represented.
I just hope the team can avoid further injuries and keep playing to a consistent level. Our kicking game will be the greatest concern & somebody has to step up big time to fill the role. I think if the team can win 50% during the next 6 weeks, then we'll be doing alright and on track!

Rocket Rod

Juniors
With the rep round and the upcoming bye, Widdop should only miss 3 games.
The lads need to step up and Duges needs to show that he is worth a $mil a year!
The Cows have showed that without your no 1 man it is hard to win but it can be done.
All the supporters should turn up on Sunday and help the lads to get the job done. Go Dragons

ALSGI

Bench
The bubble hasn't burst imo. A hard fought loss in GP and a great effort in the circumstances.

As some of us have said for several weeks, injuries are inevitable and there will be more, several more. HIA will impact many more games as well. This applies to all clubs and we've been lucky so far, even Widdops injury could be seen as the best possible timing.

Having just watched the game again, we did very well, much better than I originally thought. The 2nd half 'fading' I think is more about our superior fitness at the start of the year is now levelling with other teams. This power game bullshit is ridiculous. I think our forwards are much, much better this year and their attitude has been the difference with freedom to offload, a support play mindset and confidence is high but there are plenty of packs that can match our 'power'. There hasn't been much mention of McDonalds try on here which I thought was absolutely herculean. It was great to see Thompson scoring another try too.

Mary will run with Mann at 6 and I think with the mental prep and training this week he will go well. Field at 17 to cover backs and injection of speed and support play. Duges will kick, not that I'm expecting a lot of conversion opportunities and I think we'll be less inclined to take penalty kicks, especially early on like the one Widdop missed last week when we had momentum and lost it.

I'm confident the boys will play well and barring further injuries, 50/50 ref calls, we'll beat the Storm at WIN. I think our bubble is well and truly intact.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Mediocrity. Doust loves fans like you. Keeps him in a job.

Straight Shooter
Wow. Take a comment out of context and spin it to suit your agenda and somehow assume that it is in support of Doust and his cronies. The on field performance of the team on ANZAC and that particular comment had nothing to do with management of the club.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The bubble hasn't burst imo. A hard fought loss in GP and a great effort in the circumstances.

As some of us have said for several weeks, injuries are inevitable and there will be more, several more. HIA will impact many more games as well. This applies to all clubs and we've been lucky so far, even Widdops injury could be seen as the best possible timing.

Having just watched the game again, we did very well, much better than I originally thought. The 2nd half 'fading' I think is more about our superior fitness at the start of the year is now levelling with other teams. This power game bullshit is ridiculous. I think our forwards are much, much better this year and their attitude has been the difference with freedom to offload, a support play mindset and confidence is high but there are plenty of packs that can match our 'power'. There hasn't been much mention of McDonalds try on here which I thought was absolutely herculean. It was great to see Thompson scoring another try too.

Mary will run with Mann at 6 and I think with the mental prep and training this week he will go well. Field at 17 to cover backs and injection of speed and support play. Duges will kick, not that I'm expecting a lot of conversion opportunities and I think we'll be less inclined to take penalty kicks, especially early on like the one Widdop missed last week when we had momentum and lost it.

I'm confident the boys will play well and barring further injuries, 50/50 ref calls, we'll beat the Storm at WIN. I think our bubble is well and truly intact.

The performance of the team against the much more fancied Rorters team that got the rub of the green says to me we are definately better than preseason predictions and are deserved of our current standing. The effort and determination shown even after Widdop went down demonstrates the attitude of the team. Our depth is going to be tested over the next few weeks so will be interesting but if we continue to show what they did against the Rorters, I think we will remain at the pointy end of the comp.

possm

Coach
Let's hope the end of our streak does not emulate the run of losses experienced in 2015. I noticed our forwards tiring in the second half of our past two games. It is a very heavy load they are carrying under the 'power game plan'.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Let's hope the end of our streak does not emulate the run of losses experienced in 2015. I noticed our forwards tiring in the second half of our past two games. It is a very heavy load they are carrying under the 'power game plan'.
I think the refs put them under the heavy workload in both those 2nd halves. I don't think it was due to the style we play.

possm

Coach
I think the refs put them under the heavy workload in both those 2nd halves. I don't think it was due to the style we play.
When players tire, they tend to give away penalties. The common theme is that we lost momentum in the second half of both games. A repeat of this problem in games against the Storm and Sharks will no doubt confirm what I'm saying.

blacksafake

First Grade
I just hope they continue to play with the same mindset & not change their game plan too much.
This imo is the first test to see if McGregor has turned the corner with his coaching.If he hasn't & they revert back to safety first of previous years it will have a detrimental effect on the players which may be hard change when Widdop returns.

BrissyRedV

Bench
When players tire, they tend to give away penalties. The common theme is that we lost momentum in the second half of both games. A repeat of this problem in games against the Storm and Sharks will no doubt confirm what I'm saying.
You would however, see evidence of it in the first half as well if it was due to style. Slow starts, a lack of enthusiasm etc. would all be signs of fatigue induced by the power game. Several of the penalties and calls against us in the last fortnight I do not believe have been due to fatigue but the rough end of the stick.

possm

Coach
You would however, see evidence of it in the first half as well if it was due to style. Slow starts, a lack of enthusiasm etc. would all be signs of fatigue induced by the power game. Several of the penalties and calls against us in the last fortnight I do not believe have been due to fatigue but the rough end of the stick.
Always love your posts and mostly agree with your view. On this occasion I'd say the boys are still putting in with effort and enthusiasm for the full 80min however, they are becoming tired and possibly playing with minor injury mainly because of the style. To me it seems our players are tiring in the second half and I put it down to fatigue/burnout.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Always love your posts and mostly agree with your view. On this occasion I'd say the boys are still putting in with effort and enthusiasm for the full 80min however, they are becoming tired and possibly playing with minor injury mainly because of the style. To me it seems our players are tiring in the second half and I put it down to fatigue/burnout.
Fair enough Pos. Let's see what is trotted out on Sunday. Hopefully in front of a parochial home crowd we won't be dud dedicated by the refs again and boys are allowed to play.

possm

Coach
Fair enough Pos. Let's see what is trotted out on Sunday. Hopefully in front of a parochial home crowd we won't be dud dedicated by the refs again and boys are allowed to play.
Yes, my heart wants to believe we will smash the Storm and Mann reveals his true potential however, my head says the loss of Widdop may be a hurdle too high for us right now.

I am not against the idea of swiching Lafai to 6 and Mann to 4 if things are going south on Sunday.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yes, my heart wants to believe we will smash the Storm and Mann reveals his true potential however, my head says the loss of Widdop may be a hurdle too high for us right now.

I am not against the idea of swiching Lafai to 6 and Mann to 4 if things are going south on Sunday.
It will be interesting to see which way McGregor goes with Widdop's replacement. I have a feeling Field might get the nod ahead of Mann. Naturally, it is the worst case scenario losing Widdop for several weeks, but thems is the breaks and our depth was bound to be tested at some point. At least whomever is chosen, should get a get a prolonged periods in that position to show their wares and hopefully will not have an affect too much on team continuity.

possm

Coach
It will be interesting to see which way McGregor goes with Widdop's replacement. I have a feeling Field might get the nod ahead of Mann. Naturally, it is the worst case scenario losing Widdop for several weeks, but thems is the breaks and our depth was bound to be tested at some point. At least whomever is chosen, should get a get a prolonged periods in that position to show their wares and hopefully will not have an affect too much on team continuity.
You may be right about Mary taking the Field option. Millward might possibly be in his ear saying Field is a keeper and needs to be developed and Mann is not in the Dragon's future plans. Either way I personally will be interested to see how whoever takes Widdop's place performs on Sundsy.

jay mac

Juniors
Not necessarily a burst bubble, but it is interesting that the team has only scored 12 points in the past ~125 minutes of football. Granted, as others have suggested, if we didn't lose Widdop and Dugan at various times against the Roosters i believed we'd have gone on with it.

All points to this weekend's game against the Storm being extremely important in the context of this season.