What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

willie tonga

NZ_10c_Warriors

Juniors
as a nz fan i am much more confident now of beating australia this guy is useless. he bombs tries by not passing it to tuqiri when he is open and he can't break tackles and he is bad in defence. australia are in trouble if this loser is the best centre.

Deacon

First Grade
yep several times had Tuqiri unmarked, apparently there's an I in Tonga who knew

The 18th Man

Juniors
yep several times had Tuqiri unmarked, apparently there's an I in Tonga who knew

Willie Tonga would admit to being lucky to be in the side. I don't think he did himself many favours with his effort against a hapless PNG side. Lote should have scored at least a hat-trick if the ball made it to him. Australia are short in the 3/4 department, I think Sheens won't go moving him.

What was the mini-celebration about after his second try (shooshing someone)? I am assuming it was to a team mate, hopefully not to the crowd.

Ladmate

Bench
Willie Tonga would admit to being lucky to be in the side. I don't think he did himself many favours with his effort against a hapless PNG side. Lote should have scored at least a hat-trick if the ball made it to him. Australia are short in the 3/4 department, I think Sheens won't go moving him.

What was the mini-celebration about after his second try (shooshing someone)? I am assuming it was to a team mate, hopefully not to the crowd.

I reckon Lawrence is better than Tonga, you also have the club combinations but I also feel that Sheens won't want to seem bias - even though it's the right call. All game I wanted Tuqiri to score and I was dissapointed with Tonga's game, he can't do that against the better sides.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I reckon Lawrence is better than Tonga, you also have the club combinations but I also feel that Sheens won't want to seem bias - even though it's the right call. All game I wanted Tuqiri to score and I was dissapointed with Tonga's game, he can't do that against the better sides.

Spot on. I was coming back to edit post as I remembered Lawrence was waiting in the wings. Sheens will have no hesitation in bringing in Lawrence for Tonga or Tate given Tate looks to be injured.

elyod138

Bench
It wasn't his best game but he was no worse than the majority of the Aussie team.

The way they played as a whole is a much bigger problem, they looked pretty poor and not much like a team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What a f**king terrible choice. He's been sub-par this season in arguably the worst team in the competition. Hopefully Boyd or Lawrence are rushed in to replace him.

Talanexor

Juniors
You've got to understand, Tonga's had absolute useless merkins ourside him at club level all year - guys like Bani and John Williams, who couldn't catch a cold in a blizzard.

But I agree, he needs to set up his outside man more, rather than go himself all the time.

elyod138

Bench
What a f**king terrible choice. He's been sub-par this season in arguably the worst team in the competition. Hopefully Boyd or Lawrence are rushed in to replace him.

You obviously didn't watch him much this year if you thought he was sub par.

For the first half of the year he was one of the form centres of the competition and was cutting teams up at will.

Injury disrupted his second half of the year but he still played well when fit.

It perplexes me with some of the ignorant comments some people come up with when they either haven't watched the players they are talking about or they have poor memories.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: What? Tonga had a good season and was easily one of the stand outs for the Cowboys.

Dead set Tim, that's twice you've shown that you have nfi about the Cowboys.

Timmah

Staff member
You're right, didn't watch the Cowboys. Happy to be wrong on that count.

What he wasn't was that terribly good in Origin, which I did watch; or today, where he was probably picked because the first, second and third choice centres weren't available.

Ladmate

Bench
Tonga has been good this season, but unless he learns to pass to his winger, he should never play centre at a representative level.

Big Pete

Referee
So you chose to say Tonga had a sub-par season based on Origin (where he was solid) and a game against PNG...

Missing about 21 other games but that's alright.

mrpwnd

Bench
Justin Hodges is also sh*t at setting up his respective winger.
How come more people don't say he's sh*t too?
IMO both Tonga and Hodges are sh*t.

elyod138

Bench
It's a myth that Tonga doesn't set up his outside man, he's one of the best at it.

His try assist and line break assists were up there with the best centres this year.

Godz Illa

Coach
Tuqiri bombed a try as well in the first half - tried to steamroll the fullback instead of doing the smarter draw-and-pass. Tonga was pretty good.

It was pretty amusing that Tuqiri was the only Aussie back who failed to score a try, especially since they were aiming ALL the attack to the left in the 2nd half to get him over

Timmah

Staff member
Because that's a false statement.

Most centres are sh*t at setting up their inside man. Only two really stand out in my mind as good at doing it would be SKD and Matt Cooper.

Regardless, if I was to say any NSW centre were good and deserved selection you'd shoot me down. If you could see past your Queensland bias and admit Tonga isn't the best centre for the job...

Chook Norris

First Grade
Most centres are sh*t at setting up their inside man. Only two really stand out in my mind as good at doing it would be SKD and Matt Cooper.

that's also a very big statement.. lol

SKD hardly ever set up his outside man (Perrett) until half-way through the season