What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wilson: Why I left The Footy Show

Brutus

Referee
BrisbaneRhino said:
The Footy Show was going down the toilet thanks to becoming a school review standard variety show, due in no small part to the egos of messrs Vautin and co. Prior to the show Wilson sat in on, when was the last time they spent more than 5 seconds actually talking football? League needs all the support it can get, yet the sub-Benny Hill cr*p would guarantee most women wouldn't give it a second glance. Reading a fair few of the posts above suggests misogyny isn't restricted to TV either.

Ch 9 decided to do something to boost the ratings, and look to bring in Rebecca Wilson. Probably not a good choice, but it certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons. Any woman was going to struggle in the blokey environment of the show.

In any event it was patently obvious to anyone that she was being frozen out by the other hosts - none of them even looked at her during the show, let alone 'tried to get her involved'. One half-hearted link to her in an hour and a half doesn't constitute helping a new panel member out. Compare and contrast to the first shows of Chief and Matt Johns - entire segments for themselves, being fed lines left right and centre.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that Wilson is that great, but if I were a C9 head honcho, and the supposedly professional hosts of a show attempted to sabotage a new host brought in to specifically pull them out of the mire, I'd fire the lot of them. Overnight. In fact the most gutless aspect of this has been C9 themselves for not showing Fatty and co the door straight after that show.

As for Wilson herself, I hope she fries them regularly, as those 'boys' showed the collective gonads of a swarm of mosquitos.

Those boys showed her way more respect than she deserved. Fatty surprised me with his his on camera professionalism, considering the crap he'd copped in the past by her and was about to cop as soon as they got off air. The garbage she came up with in the week following her appearance on the show was hardly the way to treat new collegues. If she wanted to be loved, Matty and Chief more than extended their hands.

Fatty and Sterlo had every right not to talk to her off air and should have been up to her to go up to them and break the ice, but she didn't have the guts. She was a big failure as can be seen by the amount of people that turned off after the opening 15 minutes. More of the same "Love ya Guts" and "Bless ya Cotton socks" crap from her Fat days. Nothing controversial or hard-hitting at all. In fact she only ever does that from behind her poison pen against the same old few people she has a vendetta against (mainly rugby league people).

The Footy Show got their best ratings in ages last week, beating all competition in Sydney without Wilson. People obvioulsy want more football and less crap. We all know Wilson wasn't put there to talk more football, otherwise they would have hired Greg Alexander or Debbie Spillane even - people who actually know what they're talking about.

wittyfan

Referee
Wilson gives as good as she gets. And always has.

To paint herself as the victim here is laughable.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Fatty surprised you with his professionalism? I take it watching the ginger buffoon in drag every other week and unable to string two sentences together acts as class TV where you come from. As far as I'm concerned the show deserved all the stick it has received and then some.

As for last week, they didn't exactly broadcast the fact that Wilson wasn't going to be on, so you can't call the ratings based on her non-appearance. Give it a few weeks to see if people stick with the new format first. If they stick to the football they can come back, and I hope they do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly rate Wilson, but don't suggest that blanking someone all week then making half-hearted attempts to involve them on air is anything other than attempting to sabotage them. And did you honestly expect Wilson to come on and diss the very show she was brought in to co-host? She'd have been booed off by the classy studio audience they drag in off the streets, who wet themselves every time Fatty mugs at the camera. Unfortunately the studio audience is about the same size as number of people who watch the show this year.

choc_soldier

Coach
Gawd... Wilson thinks that we are supposed to rally behind her?

Highly f***ing unlikely! I definitely will not.

She is a disgrace to the journalistic profession.

ibeme

First Grade
BrisbaneRhino said:
Fatty surprised you with his professionalism? I take it watching the ginger buffoon in drag every other week and unable to string two sentences together acts as class TV where you come from. As far as I'm concerned the show deserved all the stick it has received and then some.

Not sure when the last time you watched the show, but it must have been a number of years ago. There's been no dressing up as females for a number of years now. It'd be nice if your criticism was at least current.

BrisbaneRhino said:
As for last week, they didn't exactly broadcast the fact that Wilson wasn't going to be on, so you can't call the ratings based on her non-appearance. Give it a few weeks to see if people stick with the new format first. If they stick to the football they can come back, and I hope they do.

Don't know what planet you live on, but it was hard to miss on my planet. It was in every paper in Sydney in the days leading up. Their formula over the past few weeks has been quite good. Perhaps all of those who tuned in to see the crap hit the fan when Rebecca was on were pleasantly surprised at the content, and decided to watch again last week.

BrisbaneRhino said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly rate Wilson, but don't suggest that blanking someone all week then making half-hearted attempts to involve them on air is anything other than attempting to sabotage them. And did you honestly expect Wilson to come on and diss the very show she was brought in to co-host?

It didn't stop her from dissing Fatty and Sterlo in the paper the following day.

BrisbaneRhino said:
She'd have been booed off by the classy studio audience they drag in off the streets, who wet themselves every time Fatty mugs at the camera. Unfortunately the studio audience is about the same size as number of people who watch the show this year.

I don't think that criticising the audience is going to win you too many fans. The fact is, Rebecca made no more attempt than Fatty and Sterlo to mend bridges, and has seemed to have done her best to burn them after the show. When she did have something to say, it had very little to do with football - the very thing that she's criticised them for.

iggy plop

First Grade
BrisbaneRhino said:

As for last week, they didn't exactly broadcast the fact that Wilson wasn't going to be on, so you can't call the ratings based on her non-appearance.

What a load of rubbish. Just about everyone new she had either quit or was sacked before last Thursday night. You only had to read both Sydney papers or listen to the radio.

Vautin isn't a pro and I'm gald he's now fronting a proper Footy Show in the hope of cleaning his act up, but he was certainly should a degree of professionalism the night Wilson was on. He could have carved her up, but was polite as could be. Same with Sterlo.

It's worked out really well in the end. That rugby league-hating gossip queen has been embarrisingly shafted after just one show and we are now seeing more footy.

Win Win!!

bartman

Immortal
Haven't seen that Graf Vindy-k poster around sticking up for Becky since last week?

Good to see her workmates are going back to doing what they're paid for during their work time ;-)

Bomber

Bench
If Wilson is looking for sympathy, she can find it in the dictionary - between sh*t and syphilis

j_tig

Juniors
i knew that r wilson was not going to be on the show last week, and tuned in to see fattyy and co blast her for all the crap shed pulled during the week, however i was surprised, and dissapointed, that they were being entirely proffessional about it all. rather than waste airtime on this hack, they concentrated on the footy and their jobs. others could do likewise!
im just hoping that they dont go too far and stay serious all the time, we need some laughter

Graf Vynda-k

bartman said:
Haven't seen that Graf Vindy-k poster around sticking up for Becky since last week?

Good to see her workmates are going back to doing what they're paid for during their work time ;-)

nobody makes a fool of the Graf Vynda-k and lives to tell the tale!!!

Graf Vynda-k

mark my words, unless the evil troika of sterlo, fat and co can be smashed by ch9 executives, there is no future for this abomination of a show.......they have allowed these talentless egotistical bone heads to take over and run the show instead of keeping a tight reign on these 40 year old d1ck heads.

no matter how hard he tries, fat is only one head bobble away from flicking the switch to vaudeville. he actually believes he's the new graham kennedy, the new benny hill, he thinks he's someone with talent......that's the sad delusional world of fat.

hey but this is ch9 and when in doubt..........send in the clowns.

perhaps the fat crew could better use their talents over on 'celebrity circus' where they could let go and act out their fantacies........slap on the make up, put on the fright wig, the red nose, the baggy pants, the over sized shoes and become real clowns.

fat would make a great crusty the clown.

bartman

Immortal
Graf Vynda-k said:

Fair enough, you're back ;-)

But now the Becky factor is gone, why are you so passionate about the state of the footy show?

Why not just do what a lot of other people who don't like it do and switch off? Ignore it and (via ratings) it will go away. Sure takes a lot less energy than banging on about them - advice certain media commentators could also benefit from.

PJ

First Grade
And did you honestly expect Wilson to come on and diss the very show she was brought in to co-host?

And yet that's exactly what she did straight after with Stan Zemanek, the next day in the papers, in the Bulletin magazine, in her own column and on the Deadest Wankers in the weekend.

I think the tired old cow firmly believes in the old any publicity is good publicity, but I think it's only here won publicity. Maybe she should get away from Daddy's mates who've propped up here career and realise she isn't popular or respected.

Objective One

Juniors
Graf Vynda-k said:

Considering suicide are you then? Before you plug the Nylex Gardena into the exhaust pipe you might like to explain Beccie's Adam Goodes investigative journalism piece to us all just to remind us what a serious journo she is.

BY the way Bec what's with the name? Sounds like something a German tennis pro would eat with pappadams.

Graf Vynda-k

bartman said:
Fair enough, you're back ;-)

But now the Becky factor is gone, why are you so passionate about the state of the footy show?

Why not just do what a lot of other people who don't like it do and switch off? Ignore it and (via ratings) it will go away. Sure takes a lot less energy than banging on about them - advice certain media commentators could also benefit from.

i live in the cultural wastelands of the evil mexican empire where news from the outside world rarely filters in.

the footy show is my only lifeline to civilization.........without it we few true believers would be marooned on an intellectual desert island.

Jesus. What a beautiful smash up.

She has no credibility. All league followers hate her. Dogs fans and dog haters, channel 9 fans and channel 9 haters.

It's a beautiful bipartisan feeling across any and all entire spectrum/s of the rugby league community.

iggy plop

First Grade
King of the Hill said:
Jesus. What a beautiful smash up.

She has no credibility. All league followers hate her. Dogs fans and dog haters, channel 9 fans and channel 9 haters.

It's a beautiful bipartisan feeling across any and all entire spectrum/s of the rugby league community.

I really wish she'd move to Melbourne, where she'd probably get the same treatment because the AFL people would instantly realise she has no idea about their game either.

Opinions just for the sake of them.