What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Withdraws Interest

Gareth67

First Grade
Where is that Sheik when you need him. Time to roll up and buy the Dragons 100%, take no prisoners!

Finally someone talking a bit of sense ! Hey possum it has just occurred to me , that there is more than one Shiek running around over there in ' oil - land ' . Perhaps we may find one in the Yellow pages ? :ledger: As long as the chap is rolling in money and he can say - yes to this and whatever else the Dragons may need I will be for it .

Last edited:
Finally someone talking a bit of sense ! Hey possum it has just occurred to me , that there is more than one Shiek running around over there in ' oil - land ' . Perhaps we may find one in the Yellow pages ? :ledger: As long as the chap is rolling in money and he can say - yes to this and whatever else the Dragons may need I will be for it .

Maybe we could find a coal magnate somewhere, one from Newcastle perhaps.

Very glass-half-full Dennis. After 2-3 years of negotiation, it suddenly breaks down the year that it's been scheduled to be finalised? Way too strange for mine.

I'd be taking external recruitment of a CEO with a cubic metre of salt. Considering that this external recruitment agency will be chosen by board members and work with board members to find our replacement CEO, I'm expecting an outcome similar to our most recent coaching assignments - 'After searching far and wide and interviewing XX candidates, we have determined that the replacement CEO is the next old boy in line who will make sure we keep the status quo'. Hell, I'm half expecting this 'external recruitment agency' to be a mate of Sean O'Connors working from a table in the corner of a local chip shop.

Any multi-million dollar business who can keep a straight face while announcing Craig f**king Young as a board member and expect it to be received positively is kidding themselves. The nepotism doesnt seem to have an end in sight.
I know what you say rings true but I guess I am hopeful that this may be a window of opportunity to address the factions and nepotism.
The main improvement that a new 50% shareholder could bring is just some hard nosed business management where there is no room for seat warmers and back slappers.
If this process is going to be manipulated to the extent you have outlined, then we are in for another dismal stretch as also rans.
However, any serious investor who is going to tip in big money, is unlikely to be manipulated.
They are going to want more control and a bigger say in the processes.
What would be ideal is for the new shareholder to bring along their own CEO.
If that transpires then the likes of O'Connor and others will be swept out the door and they can get on with running the club professionally.
1st action - re-vamp the board and aim higher. Demand success measured in terms of finals footy and Premierships.
2. Following on from action number 1 - appoint a club coach that is going to build a dynasty.
A top liner or throw the keys to JD.
So will be very interested as to how it pans out.
Win's Illawarra connection always worried me as just another inbreeding exercise.

But who's going to buy in?
We lose money consistently.
Even someone like Russell Crowe is starting to realise that owning an NRL team is just a furnace to burn money in.
That is really the point.
The whole JV thing is flawed and always has been.
That is why there is plenty of money for start ups/ single identity clubs.
Much more difficult for investors to take on our baggage.

ouryears

Bench
I know what you say rings true but I guess I am hopeful that this may be a window of opportunity to address the factions and nepotism.
The main improvement that a new 50% shareholder could bring is just some hard nosed business management where there is no room for seat warmers and back slappers.
If this process is going to be manipulated to the extent you have outlined, then we are in for another dismal stretch as also rans.
However, any serious investor who is going to tip in big money, is unlikely to be manipulated.
They are going to want more control and a bigger say in the processes.
What would be ideal is for the new shareholder to bring along their own CEO.
If that transpires then the likes of O'Connor and others will be swept out the door and they can get on with running the club professionally.
1st action - re-vamp the board and aim higher. Demand success measured in terms of finals footy and Premierships.
2. Following on from action number 1 - appoint a club coach that is going to build a dynasty.
A top liner or throw the keys to JD.
So will be very interested as to how it pans out.
Win's Illawarra connection always worried me as just another inbreeding exercise.
Pretty right what you say mate
Illawarra our partners.... love them or hate them hey

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Mate, I'd like to see the nrl put a set of guidelines out to all clubs and perspective buyers stating some hard facts, like........

* The club name must not be changed.
* The club colours or design must not be change without club members / nrl approval.
The 'home' strip must always stay unchanged.
* The club owner must keep pace with players purchases & club spending each year.
* The club owner must inject a percentage of funds each year in keeping with nrl policy.

............. to name a few.

There have been some pretty shoddy owners of clubs throughout the world, over the past decade, we don't want one at the Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
That is really the point.
The whole JV thing is flawed and always has been.
That is why there is plenty of money for start ups/ single identity clubs.
Much more difficult for investors to take on our baggage.

At the right price, we can attract a buyer.

No its not easy as you rightly say, only a few clubs trade profitably.

Tinkler was a prime example of money actually destroying a club. Lucky for Newcastle, they have a steadfast base of supporters whom amazingly attract 20-25k even whilst spooners.

We do NOT have that luxury. Our figures vary based on form, like most clubs. Our membership is also in line with form.

Add to that, our fan base is spread across the state and country, which whilst being admirable, can also reflect in memberships.

I am ok with privatisation, but also understand that NRL clubs as an investment, do not have a great return. When one "buys" an NRL franchise they also buy into the NRL. Salary cap issues, TV distribution, game day allocations, etc etc etc. Too many variables to take into account.

Having a great recognisable / historical brand is awesome for us fans. To the astute investor, he/she wants to see how that asset turns to "value", In a population of some 24 million, we compete with AFL, Rugby, Soccer and so forth. Not much room for error as an investor.

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate, I'd like to see the nrl put a set of guidelines out to all clubs and perspective buyers stating some hard facts, like........

* The club colours or design must not be change without club members / nrl approval.
* The club owner must keep pace with players purchases & club spending each year.
* The club owner must inject a percentage of funds each year in keeping with nrl policy.

There have been some pretty shoddy owners of clubs throughout the world, over the past decade, we don't want one at the Dragons.

I certainly agree with you on that OKB1 , forgive me mate I was still getting over the WIN withdrawal. The fact that it has taken so much valuable time that could had been used pursuing a far better company to come on board . I was desperate, but as you have said , not for anymore shonkers to have anything to do with the club that means so much to us all .

Old Timer

Coach

If you put conditions on like that you will attract nobody.
Any prospective new owner will want freedom to do as he / she sees fit because it is plainly obvious that the existing system has failed miserably.
Channel 9 and Fox are bleeding the game dry and in fact the ARL / NRL should be dictating to them that the existing clubs all stay as is and that they should be in fact kicking the tin big time to ensure that the status quo survives.
No kicking of the tin see you later, you only get 1 game of SOO per year and see how they like those apples.
The trouble is that there is nepotism and narcissism right throughout the code in fact in almost every corner and they will all bow and scrape to ensure their own survival.
The reality is far too many snouts in the trough including the players and if not reigned in it will all fall apart like a Ponzi Scheme.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Tinkler was a prime example of money actually destroying a club. Lucky for Newcastle, they have a steadfast base of supporters whom amazingly attract 20-25k even whilst spooners.

We do NOT have that luxury. Our figures vary based on form, like most clubs. Our membership is also in line with form.

Add to that, our fan base is spread across the state and country, which whilst being admirable, can also reflect in memberships.

I am ok with privatisation, but also understand that NRL clubs as an investment, do not have a great return. When one "buys" an NRL franchise they also buy into the NRL. Salary cap issues, TV distribution, game day allocations, etc etc etc. Too many variables to take into account.

Having a great recognisable / historical brand is awesome for us fans. To the astute investor, he/she wants to see how that asset turns to "value", In a population of some 24 million, we compete with AFL, Rugby, Soccer and so forth. Not much room for error as an investor.

Great post mate....tells the story

Frank Facer

First Grade
We have the most fanatical, passionate and proudest supporters in the comp. When we are winning, our supporters come out of the woodwork and want to attend games, at Kogarah. If Jubilee was built into a 40 000 plus seat stadium and we were going how we are now or like we were in 2009 to 2011, we could get 30 000 plus to most games, especially with the right marketing and promotion and if they are scheduled at the right time slot.

That is my dream that we someday do have a 40 000 plus seat stadium at Kogarah, but being a Joint Venture and only playing 5 or 6 games a year there means that it will never be financially viable. For it to be possibly viable, we would have to play all of our games at Kogarah and have an A League soccer team play there too. I would call the soccer team Saints FC.

We have the most fanatical, passionate and proudest supporters in the comp. When we are winning, our supporters come out of the woodwork and want to attend games, at Kogarah. If Jubilee was built into a 40 000 plus seat stadium and we were going how we are now or like we were in 2009 to 2011, we could get 30 000 plus to most games, especially with the right marketing and promotion and if they are scheduled at the right time slot.

That is my dream that we someday do have a 40 000 plus seat stadium at Kogarah, but being a Joint Venture and only playing 5 or 6 games a year there means that it will never be financially viable. For it to be possibly viable, we would have to play all of our games at Kogarah and have an A League soccer team play there too. I would call the soccer team Saints FC.
A man after my own heart...

TruSaint

Referee

Love your passion mate.

Wont happen. IMHO. Sadly, as ideal as it is, even during our 09-11 season we rarely packed it out. Crowds were good, but not enough to sustain what you suggest.

TV coverage, Fox and FTA, , scheduling, poor facilities, national fans, demographic changes, ... i could go on.

If we can maintain Kogarah for 5-6 games a year... that's a win IMHO.

I would dearly love to have our spiritual ground revamped, upgraded, and capable of holding say 25k. If its financially not viable it wont happen... Yes our fans are passionate, but they are dispersed and have the luxury of watching EVERY game at home.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Objective View. It has been dark days since 2011. We are now experiencing a new dawn. Get on board and enjoy the ride.
Love the dawn. Loved it last year as well, sadly it turned out to be a false dawn. Hopefully it works out differently this year.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Love your passion mate.

Wont happen. IMHO. Sadly, as ideal as it is, even during our 09-11 season we rarely packed it out. Crowds were good, but not enough to sustain what you suggest.

TV coverage, Fox and FTA, , scheduling, poor facilities, national fans, demographic changes, ... i could go on.

If we can maintain Kogarah for 5-6 games a year... that's a win IMHO.

I would dearly love to have our spiritual ground revamped, upgraded, and capable of holding say 25k. If its financially not viable it wont happen... Yes our fans are passionate, but they are dispersed and have the luxury of watching EVERY game at home.
Yeah I think any owner is not going to throw millions into revamping a suburban ground that the Council owns. They are much more likely to play us out of Allianz or ANZ full time.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Love the dawn. Loved it last year as well, sadly it turned out to be a false dawn. Hopefully it works out differently this year.
Don't worry Kiama Saint. I could see the dark days coming in 2012 and now I can see the dawn. I didn't think last year was a dawn either.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Sadly, the club's colours are already changing.

Latest posts