What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Withdraws Interest

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We have the most fanatical, passionate and proudest supporters in the comp. When we are winning, our supporters come out of the woodwork and want to attend games, at Kogarah. If Jubilee was built into a 40 000 plus seat stadium and we were going how we are now or like we were in 2009 to 2011, we could get 30 000 plus to most games, especially with the right marketing and promotion and if they are scheduled at the right time slot.

That is my dream that we someday do have a 40 000 plus seat stadium at Kogarah, but being a Joint Venture and only playing 5 or 6 games a year there means that it will never be financially viable. For it to be possibly viable, we would have to play all of our games at Kogarah and have an A League soccer team play there too. I would call the soccer team Saints FC.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
With WIN gone, there is the opportunity to think about privatisation in the broadest sense. The AFL have got huge plans to go into China- starting with Shanghai which has a population the same as Austrialia's ie about 24M. We have a large number of Chinese members at St George- a restaurant in the club with the word Dragon in the name. Why not look for a Chinese Billionaire to buy the Dragons and play some games in China for a guaranteed motza!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Personally I want us to do what Manly did and for St George to become a single club again. If Illawarra are not financially viable then it can happen or if someone buys the whole club and does it.

possm

Coach
Personally I want us to do what Manly did and for St George to become a single club again. If Illawarra are not financially viable then it can happen or if someone buys the whole club and does it.
I agree, someone buy 100% and have one Board for the football club and two separate Boards for the Leagues Club. Juniors to be two separate clubs to ensure the volume is maintained. NRL and reserve grade to carry the SGI name and lower grades to carry separate names.

BennyV

Referee
The St George end of the board is as bad, if not worse, than the Illawarra side. They just appointed Craig Young to the board FFS! The corruption (and/or incompetence) throughout the leagues club and football club is deeply embedded and not removeable in the short term. I'd love us to become a single entity again AND be successful, but it's just not going to happen!

BennyV

Referee
I know what you say rings true but I guess I am hopeful that this may be a window of opportunity to address the factions and nepotism.
The main improvement that a new 50% shareholder could bring is just some hard nosed business management where there is no room for seat warmers and back slappers.
If this process is going to be manipulated to the extent you have outlined, then we are in for another dismal stretch as also rans.
However, any serious investor who is going to tip in big money, is unlikely to be manipulated.
They are going to want more control and a bigger say in the processes.
What would be ideal is for the new shareholder to bring along their own CEO.
If that transpires then the likes of O'Connor and others will be swept out the door and they can get on with running the club professionally.
1st action - re-vamp the board and aim higher. Demand success measured in terms of finals footy and Premierships.
2. Following on from action number 1 - appoint a club coach that is going to build a dynasty.
A top liner or throw the keys to JD.
So will be very interested as to how it pans out.
Win's Illawarra connection always worried me as just another inbreeding exercise.
In theory, that works out well. But do you really think Doust and his mates are going to hand any sort of power over another entity that would threaten their positions?
Hell, it was reported that Andrew Gordon, who already represents Illawarra on the BOD, is looking likely as the buyer if he can source the capital. I can't see him removing any of his cronies on the board nor bringing any sort of business management - if he was, why hasnt he had any influence to date as a board member?

Much like our on-field performance this season, I hope that all the pieces fall into place and he come out of this thing a powerhouse, but history and current circumstances arent working in our favour...

BennyV

Referee
Mate, I'd like to see the nrl put a set of guidelines out to all clubs and perspective buyers stating some hard facts, like........

* The club name must not be changed.
* The club colours or design must not be change without club members / nrl approval.
The 'home' strip must always stay unchanged.
* The club owner must keep pace with players purchases & club spending each year.
* The club owner must inject a percentage of funds each year in keeping with nrl policy.

............. to name a few.

There have been some pretty shoddy owners of clubs throughout the world, over the past decade, we don't want one at the Dragons.
IF there was a knight in shining armour coming in to buy us out, the only non-negotiable and non-changing conditions should be retention of our jersey (or the basics thereof - Red V on white), the continuation of 'St George' and 'Dragons' and use of Kogarah for at least half our home games. Everything else should be fair game for said Knight to run as they see fit. And I'd personally prefer that they have nothing to do with player purchases or anything football related.

In theory, that works out well. But do you really think Doust and his mates are going to hand any sort of power over another entity that would threaten their positions?
Hell, it was reported that Andrew Gordon, who already represents Illawarra on the BOD, is looking likely as the buyer if he can source the capital. I can't see him removing any of his cronies on the board nor bringing any sort of business management - if he was, why hasnt he had any influence to date as a board member?

Much like our on-field performance this season, I hope that all the pieces fall into place and he come out of this thing a powerhouse, but history and current circumstances arent working in our favour...
Let's hope he doesn't succeed in raising the capital because he is part of the problem as you point out.
What we need is a partner with no ties to the club.
Let's see what happens, given the parameters being laid down to prospective investors, they are not getting any serious interest.
So that is the slim chance we have of making change. No takers, changes the dynamic.

I agree, someone buy 100% and have one Board for the football club and two separate Boards for the Leagues Club. Juniors to be two separate clubs to ensure the volume is maintained. NRL and reserve grade to carry the SGI name and lower grades to carry separate names.
We don't need the Illawarra tag - it is an eye sore and adds no value to the "brand"
FF is on the right track

Coffs dragon

Bench
Let's hope he doesn't succeed in raising the capital because he is part of the problem as you point out.
What we need is a partner with no ties to the club.
Let's see what happens, given the parameters being laid down to prospective investors, they are not getting any serious interest.
So that is the slim chance we have of making change. No takers, changes the dynamic.
I wonder if there are no takers in buying out the Illawarra Steelers 50% does that make the JV null and void. If they can't meet the financial terms & condition of the joint venture then it may simply be.....see ya later.
I'm sure the NRL have a keen eye on this looming mess as they did with the West Tigers JV. In the end they appointed an independent Board & Chairman to sort out the in fighting factions within Tigerland.

FlameThrower

Bench
I just want our Club to be strong on and off the field. To compete with TPA, retain our best juniors and attract marquee players as needed. Have the best available resources and staff for the football team with training, coaching and facilities. If all of the above can only happen because we need to privatise then so be it. Make it happen - problem is who are we talking too and is there a buyer out there to start with!