What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Forgive the plug....but I got a bottle of 2010 Penfolds Bin 8 Cab Shiraz for the Cup day drinkies, exclusive to my mob...I think it's f**king excellent and comes in a bloody nice gift box.

Bress La Gallina 2010 Red (Tempranillo Grenache Syrah). Very delicate, so if you're not a fan of soft dry red's it's not for you. If you are, a very good drink. Pairs very well with tomato based dishes.

Jesbass

First Grade
I'm not a drinker of wine, but I do have a serious question about it.

My father passed away of a heart attack a few years ago, and I'm not sure how his parents died so I can't rule out that they went the same way. I know that these things can be hereditary, so I spoke to the doc and he recommended I take up drinking wine as a way of lowering my chances of heart issues.

I have tried to do it but I just can't adjust to the taste, but I read recently that grape juice may have the same effect. Apparently it has something to do with the levels of polyphenol.

I was just wondering if anyone had any more information regarding this? For example, does it make a difference as to whether or not the grape juice is red or white, or if it's sparkling or not? Are the polyphenol ratings noted on the bottles themselves, etc?

Red wine is the medically preferred wine, since the "health benefits" are found in the skin of the grapes. White wine + sparkling has less health benefits since the skin is in contact with the juice for much less time. Grape juice would be the least beneficial of all.

What kinds of wine's have you been drinking, do remember the grape variety listed on the front? eg. Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvingnon, etc?

Jesbass

First Grade
Red wine is the medically preferred wine, since the "health benefits" are found in the skin of the grapes. White wine + sparkling has less health benefits since the skin is in contact with the juice for much less time. Grape juice would be the least beneficial of all.

What kinds of wine's have you been drinking, do remember the grape variety listed on the front? eg. Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvingnon, etc?

To be honest, I haven't taken much notice. I know that I've tried Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc, but I'm now thinking that the latter was a futile effort anyway because it's the red grapes that have polyphenol. (Oops!)

Look out for a wine by d'Arenberg called "The Stump Jump" Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre. Quite soft and easy drinking, nowhere near as bold as Cabernet Sauvingnon. A good starting point. Pinot Noir's from Tasmania are also a good choice, but since the skins are thinner the good stuff in the wine is less. Another softer variety is Petit Verdot. Merlot is also quite popular, but in my opinion is very bland. That should give you a good starting point.

Jesbass

First Grade
Look out for a wine by d'Arenberg called "The Stump Jump" Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre. Quite soft and easy drinking, nowhere near as bold as Cabernet Sauvingnon. A good starting point. Pinot Noir's from Tasmania are also a good choice, but since the skins are thinner the good stuff in the wine is less. Another softer variety is Petit Verdot. Merlot is also quite popular, but in my opinion is very bland. That should give you a good starting point.

Thanks heaps!

I'm not sure how many Australian wines we get over here in NZ, although I know we get a few. What sort of price range do they tend to be - any idea?

Aussie wines in NZ tend to be cheaper than here in Australia, though the selection is probably limited.

For NZ reds, it's very hard to go past a Pinot Noir from Otago

Bazal

Post Whore
To be honest, I haven't taken much notice. I know that I've tried Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc, but I'm now thinking that the latter was a futile effort anyway because it's the red grapes that have polyphenol. (Oops!)

Cab Sav is a very tannic, dry red. You'd be best with something softer and less acidic to get into it all. As suggested, I'd go with a merlot from warmer region like the Barossa or Wrattonbully, a GSM blend or even a Barossa shiraz. Pinot is lighter, but may be a bit tough for a "newbie" to get his head around. Best bet IMO is to hit up your local wine shop, ask for a nice fruit driven red with soft tannins, and follow their advice.

As a starting point, look for the Stump Jump red mentioned, it's a nice one, or for a couple of bob more the Kalleske Clarry's GSM at about 18 bucks. Peppertree Merlot from Wrattonbully at about 15 bucks a bottle, or St Hallett Faith Shiraz at about 18 as well. St Hallet also do a Gamekeepers Grenache/Shiraz that's very soft and affordable.

Bazal

Post Whore
Aussie wines in NZ tend to be cheaper than here in Australia, though the selection is probably limited.

For NZ reds, it's very hard to go past a Pinot Noir from Otago

Picked up a couple of Felton Road Pinots with some of my Cup winnings. Looking forward to cracking one, will put the rest away for a couple of years.

Speaking of NZ reds, I personally love the Syrah and Cabernet from Hawkes Bay. I was in my local the other day having a browse, and they had mispriced their 09 Awatea Te Mata at 20 bucks. He only had a dozen so I cleaned him out...would have taken 60 or more at that price if he had them!

Jesbass

First Grade
Thanks again, guys! Who knows - many years from now, my family might be ever so grateful of the advice you've offered tonight! :thumn

_Johnsy

Referee
Picked up an absolute bargain @ GFWS

Barossa Valley Estate E&E Black Pepper Shiraz -Ebenezer Shiraz both for $99. Absolute bargain, worth the trip up just for that.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bloody oath bazal. Looking forward to cracking those some time.

Wish I had more $$ with me would have loved to get 6 x.

That is exactly the reason I only take cash to the GFWS, after drinking for a few hours your judgement can become a touch clouded.

There were 2 others I had never before until GFWS but was very, very impressed with.
d'Arnberg Love Grass Shiraz
Mt Avoca Jack Barry Sparkling shiraz

As you can tell I have a soft spot for shiraz in all it's forms.

Last edited:
Picked up a Saint Cosme 2009 Cotes-Du-Rhone for $20, and to be honest I still prefer the d'Arenberg Stump Jump GSM. It's not a bad drink, but it's not worth $20 either.

Just because it's French doesn't mean it's good.

There were 2 others I had never tried but very impressed with.
d'Arnberg Love Grass Shiraz
Mt Avoca Jack Barry Sparkling shiraz

As you can tell I have a soft spot for shiraz in all it's forms.

I'm still struggling to find a bad d'Arenberg wine. Their Dead Arm Shiraz ($53) leaves many wines double the price for dead.

Latest posts