What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

_Johnsy

Referee
Yering Station Shiraz Viognier. Just an awesome wine, every year. Always beautifully balanced and elegant.

Agree, picked up 4 bottles of the reserve shiraz voigner when we were down there last year. Absolutely divine to drink. In all honesty do Yering do a bad wine? (I only drink red, but my wife loves their whites)

Bazal

Post Whore
2006 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon.

Lemon curd, bright fresh acidity, cut grass, really only just starting to feel like it has any age at all in that it's developed a richness through the mid palate. Still has years left in it as well.

Bazal

Post Whore
2015 St Johns Road Gee Whiz Tram Driver. 73% Gewurtztraminer, 27% Riesling or thereabouts. They've made a huge marketing mistake labelling it "traminer riesling" because it's absolutely not and people will think it's sweet rubbish. All the aromatics of a great gewurtz...pears, quince, turkish delight, very floral, but then it's so much like a dry riesling. You get gewurtz flavours, but the riesling is obvious, citrus and slatey dry finish. Absolutely delicious and ridiculously drinkable.

Bazal

Post Whore
2010 Clonakilla Sem-Sav Blanc. Why do people drink good quality SSB blends so young? This is typical Clonakilla awesomeness, drinking perfectly now. Still nice and pale, but nicely developed into rich citrus, lemon butter, honeysuckle and a great slatey acidity with the barest hint of toastiness from the semillon. Like a good white Bordeaux...

Bazal

Post Whore
Grabbed my regular yearly couple of bottles of Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier today, and of course had a taste at cellar door. The 2015 is stunning if anyone finds it, well worth the money. It was a spectacular vintage down here. Without tasting it against the great 2009 and 2013 it's hard to say how it compares...from memory the 13 at least was a bit fuller and riper, and more about spice. I think the 15 is more elegant and perfumed, and it has the most amazing and intricate structure. There's just so much going on...black cherry, rose, pepper, game meats, five spice, dried herbs, violet and more. It's savoury, but the fruit is sweet and the oak is faintly spicy...a ridiculous wine.

I genuinely think, of the wines I'd tasted, that it's the best red wine in Australia...

Bazal

Post Whore
2011 Cockfighters Ghost Reserve Pinot. Probably the only Cockfighters Ghost wine I've ever been bothered with. To be blunt I usually find their stuff incredibly ordinary. But this is well done...I suppose because if you're making a bad pinot out of Tassie in any of the last 5-10 vintages you should probably take up a new career.

Probably a bit young still. More blueberry and boysenberry than the classic cherry, which is quite nice once the initial sweetness blows off. Really sappy nose pointing to whole bunch ferment. Classic, well made Tasse pinot

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I need some Clonakilla '13 SV for the little ones 21st present. Not looking forward to forking out money for it...

Bazal

Post Whore
I need some Clonakilla '13 SV for the little ones 21st present. Not looking forward to forking out money for it...

I wish you luck in finding it, tbh. That said, a much better idea than Grange...you can get 6 Clonakilla for the same money or less and it's a better wine!

2010 St Hallett Faith shiraz. Put a case down on release just cos I could. Nose has gone more into mulberry and bramble, it's still got lively acid. More medium bodied than you'd expect from the vintage, but still very much up front juicy fruit. Starting to feel almost like a southern Rhone red with the age, there's a savoury touch, a minerally kind of thing happening and quite a tight tannic line. It's really delicious.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Katnook Cab Sav 2012 is an amazing wine, its debuted in my top 10 first time I tried it (last weekend)

It'll get another run next weekend.Well priced too.

_Johnsy

Referee
It's funny how things get mentioned & they trigger something. I hadn't had this for so so long & had escaped my mind completely. So today, inspired I grabbed 2 of the 2014 SV & struggling to not drink them already & also grabbed a couple of the Hilltop shiraz (yet to try that).
DM didn't have any SV 2013.

Thanks again for the memory refresh mate.

Bazal

Post Whore
It's funny how things get mentioned & they trigger something. I hadn't had this for so so long & had escaped my mind completely. So today, inspired I grabbed 2 of the 2014 SV & struggling to not drink them already & also grabbed a couple of the Hilltop shiraz (yet to try that).
DM didn't have any SV 2013.

Thanks again for the memory refresh mate.

Missus bought me a magnum of the '13 for my 30th. Hiding it away until my 50th