What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

McGuigan Single Batch Project Cab Sauv. Replacing the old Bin Series, I feel they’ve gone out of their way to make this “approachable” to non wine drinkers. As a result, not a ton of flavour at all.

horrie hastings

First Grade
2003 Innes Lake Shiraz from the Port Macquarie region, it was a cracker about 3-6 years ago and had the last bottle the other night with roast lamb, still good but getting towards the end of its life.

Bazal

Post Whore
LL had a receipt offer going, BOGOF Hardy's Brave New World wines...already had (and loved) the GSM so I grabbed a Shiraz Black and a Shiraz Sangiovese...

Had the Sangiovese blend on the weekend, really good. Full bodied, juicy, really ripe but plenty of Sangiovese character and a savoury enough finish to make it quite moreish

Shiraz Black is acting as a pain-killer for my back spasm right now. There is more oak on the nose of this wine than in a bat factory in India, holy shit. Unbelievable red fruit, just massive, but it's a very soft and easy drinking wine underneath it all. Will please the old boys who want a "big, smooth" red. Stylistically it's just not my go, tasty but would never be more than a BBQ/Footy Friday red for me.

Bazal

Post Whore
Paxis Red Blend

Another Coles exclusive, half price this week @ $10 (and half that for me!). Blend of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz. Classic Touriga perfume, very pure and bright on the palate, soft fruit, very little oak or tannin and a little bit of that sunny Portuguese ripeness on the finish.

Not a serious wine, but it's f**king delicious.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Paxis Red Blend

Another Coles exclusive, half price this week @ $10 (and half that for me!). Blend of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz. Classic Touriga perfume, very pure and bright on the palate, soft fruit, very little oak or tannin and a little bit of that sunny Portuguese ripeness on the finish.

Not a serious wine, but it's f**king delicious.

I ordered plenty of it to come in for our last delivery but it didn’t turn up so it is out of stock in our shop. Usually when it’s been on special in our shop it has hardly moved but this time we have sold plenty. Getting sick of selling the $5 Lindermans bin range, uggghhhh.

Bazal

Post Whore
I ordered plenty of it to come in for our last delivery but it didn’t turn up so it is out of stock in our shop. Usually when it’s been on special in our shop it has hardly moved but this time we have sold plenty. Getting sick of selling the $5 Lindermans bin range, uggghhhh.

Yeah we're not getting heaps of stuff on our deliveries atm. Annoying.

I'm so sick of just rotating promos, tbh. Every week it's Lindemans or Eaglehawk or Red Label....so boring.

horrie hastings

First Grade

I'm so sick of just rotating promos, tbh. Every week it's Lindemans or Eaglehawk or Red Label....so boring.

Lol I get sick of the rotating 4-5 litre casks specials too, one week Berri,next week Stanley then next week De Bortoli. Yeah Lindermans, Eaglehawk,Jamison’s Run Graziers, Red Label but the people just go crazy for them .

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol I get sick of the rotating 4-5 litre casks specials too, one week Berri,next week Stanley then next week De Bortoli. Yeah Lindermans, Eaglehawk,Jamison’s Run Graziers, Red Label but the people just go crazy for them .

Red Label is back! Lol.

Anyway, Franco and Rico Malbec. Exclusive, new, $12. Plums and cherries, herbaceous and spicy enough to hold interest, mid-weight and quite soft but a very savoury finish.

Not sure if Coles have changed their wine buyers or if they've just grown a clue but they're pulling in some really decent wines lately.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Manager did the order last night, usually I check it when I come in the morning on the Thursday if I open and can add to it if he has missed something or if I think he has short ordered but didn’t start till 1pm today, checked the order but way to late to add anything to it, the horrible $5 Graziers Run he has only ordered 3 cases to come in of each variety and all of them would have only a case or less of each variety left on the shelves when I left at 7pm tonight so we will run out by tomorrow afternoon or early Saturday but the worst one is the Hole In the Sky Sav Blanc, at half price I ordered 10 cases last Sunday to come in Monday and we still had 6 cases in stock at the time, I sold the last bottle at 5.30pm today, the manager only ordered 3 cases to come in tomorrow so we will be out of stock before close tomorrow, 3 cases, lol,that’s one for the shelf, one for fridge and one for the front gondola . Apart from the 2 red varietals the Wolf Blass red label range has not moved at all this sale. End of my rant now, lol.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Manager did the order last night, usually I check it when I come in the morning on the Thursday if I open and can add to it if he has missed something or if I think he has short ordered but didn’t start till 1pm today, checked the order but way to late to add anything to it, the horrible $5 Graziers Run he has only ordered 3 cases to come in of each variety and all of them would have only a case or less of each variety left on the shelves when I left at 7pm tonight so we will run out by tomorrow afternoon or early Saturday but the worst one is the Hole In the Sky Sav Blanc, at half price I ordered 10 cases last Sunday to come in Monday and we still had 6 cases in stock at the time, I sold the last bottle at 5.30pm today, the manager only ordered 3 cases to come in tomorrow so we will be out of stock before close tomorrow, 3 cases, lol,that’s one for the shelf, one for fridge and one for the front gondola . Apart from the 2 red varietals the Wolf Blass red label range has not moved at all this sale. End of my rant now, lol.

We've gotta somehow drop 10k in stock weight, if you guys are in the same boat maybe he figures selling out of stuff will do the job :p

In fairness I fking hate ordering for Liquorland.

In a blue shirt I could just go "well shit, this is on sale, Imma get 16 cases" even in premium, but there's just no room to do that stuff at LL. I've gone from ordering French champagne by the layer to second guessing myself over whether I should get that third box of Wynn's, haha.

On the subject, kinda, had the Tussock Jumper Malbec tonight. Firstly, it needs a bit of time to breathe. Very tight and quite closed at first. Once it opens up, it's actually quite grippy (although that might be the manflu affecting my palate) and rustic, like a proper Argie Malbec should be.

Very little oak, nice pure fruit, maybe ever so slightly stewy but not problematically, backed by spice and graphite as you'd expect from the altitude. It's a surprisingly serious drink for 12 bucks....I remember when stuff like this was the norm for our ELB wines.

horrie hastings

First Grade
We've gotta somehow drop 10k in stock weight, if you guys are in the same boat maybe he figures selling out of stuff will do the job :p

In fairness I fking hate ordering for Liquorland.

In a blue shirt I could just go "well shit, this is on sale, Imma get 16 cases" even in premium, but there's just no room to do that stuff at LL. I've gone from ordering French champagne by the layer to second guessing myself over whether I should get that third box of Wynn's, haha.

On the subject, kinda, had the Tussock Jumper Malbec tonight. Firstly, it needs a bit of time to breathe. Very tight and quite closed at first. Once it opens up, it's actually quite grippy (although that might be the manflu affecting my palate) and rustic, like a proper Argie Malbec should be.

Very little oak, nice pure fruit, maybe ever so slightly stewy but not problematically, backed by spice and graphite as you'd expect from the altitude. It's a surprisingly serious drink for 12 bucks....I remember when stuff like this was the norm for our ELB wines.

Lol, yeah we have to drop quite a few thousand in stock weight too but won’t happen if our manager keeps on ordering RTD10 packs, they continue to grow in the stock room but hardly any sell out the fridge. The Tussock Jumper we only received the Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay and haven’t tried any yet, the Pinot Noir has sold well but the two whites have hardly moved.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Lambert Estate Black Sheep red blend from the Barossa, very lively blend which went perfectly with the spag bol last Saturday night, actually was probably a bit too good for a spag bol but what the heck.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Lol, Eaglehawk and Lindermans bin range again this week, ugggggggggh.

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol, Eaglehawk and Lindermans bin range again this week, ugggggggggh.

I've been off all week tbh....missus' grandads funeral, then the assessment centre for an APS gig, I just took all three shifts off. But I'm not shocked, they're so boring FFS.

Anyway, tonight I've started cracking some stuff that I've hung on to just to see how it performs, because I used to be able to afford to do that, lol.

First was a 2009 Lerida Cullerin Pinot Noir (Canberra). Kept 1/6 this long because they said it would go 10 years and the last bottle I had two years ago (ish) was still quality. It has not gone ten years, put it that way. Almost entirely tertiary, very flat and uninteresting. Which is a shame because it was a cracker wine, but I drank 5 of them at their peak so I'm not really worried. Maybe it'll improve with a bit of air, I'll check again tomorrow but I doubt it.

Second was a 2008 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz, which performed much better. Which is good because I still have two unopened bottles, I bought three six packs years ago when we had them for a ridiculous $10.90 a bottle. Obviously aged, quite tertiary, very much black fruit but the fruit is still prominent. Plenty of mineral character has come in, leather and tar as well, the tannin is almost entirely gone. Will drink the others by the end of the year but it's still very nice.

Bazal

Post Whore
Actually the Chalambar has opened up into something absolutely awesome, and far better than I expected.

The air has brought out a big lick of fruit and chocolate and a great gamey bacon fat character, it's absolutely brilliant. I didn't think it would open up anything like this, or hold so well over so many years. Gorgeous drinking

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've been off all week tbh....missus' grandads funeral, then the assessment centre for an APS gig, I just took all three shifts off. But I'm not shocked, they're so boring FFS.

Anyway, tonight I've started cracking some stuff that I've hung on to just to see how it performs, because I used to be able to afford to do that, lol.

First was a 2009 Lerida Cullerin Pinot Noir (Canberra). Kept 1/6 this long because they said it would go 10 years and the last bottle I had two years ago (ish) was still quality. It has not gone ten years, put it that way. Almost entirely tertiary, very flat and uninteresting. Which is a shame because it was a cracker wine, but I drank 5 of them at their peak so I'm not really worried. Maybe it'll improve with a bit of air, I'll check again tomorrow but I doubt it.

Second was a 2008 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz, which performed much better. Which is good because I still have two unopened bottles, I bought three six packs years ago when we had them for a ridiculous $10.90 a bottle. Obviously aged, quite tertiary, very much black fruit but the fruit is still prominent. Plenty of mineral character has come in, leather and tar as well, the tannin is almost entirely gone. Will drink the others by the end of the year but it's still very nice.

Most of the sheeples who shop at Liquorland are so programmed, they will buy just about anything of the first front end, hence why the $5 Eaglehawke is flying out the door, the Lindermans at $6 is on the 2nd front end and on the bottom shelf, hardly anyone looks at our 2nd front end, the Lindermans came in 1 litre for this promo but everyone walks past this end and straight to fridge and the normal spots on the shelves and grab the 750 ml bottles, gives me a good laugh but at least it has cleared out most of our 750 ml stock, anyway enough of my Liquorland rant now.

The 2008 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz sounds like a cracker. Went through my cupboard looking for a red to have with a beef casserole I made last Saturday and down the back I found two bottles of 2009 Gramps 5th generation shiraz which I had forgotten about, looking forward to cracking one open soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts