What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Anywho....

Tonight I've had a Centennial Vineyards 2013 Shiraz, fruit from Orange. Really excellent...is my official tasting note because I didn't write anything down and the bottle is now empty. Oops.

Also D'Arenberg Stump Jump GSM or SGM or whatever. Look, go to Coles, buy some shit, get a receipt, and get this for ten bucks from Liquorland. You'll struggle to find a better $10 wine and even at $15 you should give it a crack. Rich, ripe red fruit, big hit of spice, enough tannin to make it interesting and moreish, a little pepper.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Anywho....

Tonight I've had a Centennial Vineyards 2013 Shiraz, fruit from Orange. Really excellent...is my official tasting note because I didn't write anything down and the bottle is now empty. Oops.

Also D'Arenberg Stump Jump GSM or SGM or whatever. Look, go to Coles, buy some shit, get a receipt, and get this for ten bucks from Liquorland. You'll struggle to find a better $10 wine and even at $15 you should give it a crack. Rich, ripe red fruit, big hit of spice, enough tannin to make it interesting and moreish, a little pepper.

Have to agree about the D’Arenberg Stump Jump GSM , it’s a great wine especially if you can pick it up for $10, think we had it on special for $11 a few weeks ago and it sold solidly, as you say even at $15 it is a good wine. Actually went out and had pizza last night at Alexandria and I bought a bottle of the D’Arenberg Stum Jump white from a nearby bottle shop and it was delicious, a blend of Riesling, Sav Blanc, Marsanne and Roussane.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Never had a riesling-SB-marsanne-rousanne mix before.

I’m intrigued.

I am keen to drink more blends and alternates. I’m launching a new brand soon that is four red varietals; Nero, Monte, Sangio and Temp. The labels look shit hot, can’t wait to taste the samples.

Nero has become my fav grape of late. Monterra’s and Hither&Yong both do very good, yet stylistically very different, expressions of it.

Fiano is also one I’ve begun to enjoy.

Bazal

Post Whore
Never had a riesling-SB-marsanne-rousanne mix before.

I’m intrigued.

I am keen to drink more blends and alternates. I’m launching a new brand soon that is four red varietals; Nero, Monte, Sangio and Temp. The labels look shit hot, can’t wait to taste the samples.

Nero has become my fav grape of late. Monterra’s and Hither&Yong both do very good, yet stylistically very different, expressions of it.

Fiano is also one I’ve begun to enjoy.

Italian varietals in general are shit hot at the moment, some great wines out there.Even in a bog standard, safety first major chain liquor store one of our best selling wines in that cobbled together "other reds" category (which basically covers anything that isn't a popular blend style, a shiraz, cab sav, merlot or pinot) is a fking Montepulciano D'Abruzzo

Gonna be heading to Italy for about 5 weeks in September/October. Pretty pumped for the wines as much as anything, which is how you know you're a lost cause I reckon lol.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Italian varietals in general are shit hot at the moment, some great wines out there.Even in a bog standard, safety first major chain liquor store one of our best selling wines in that cobbled together "other reds" category (which basically covers anything that isn't a popular blend style, a shiraz, cab sav, merlot or pinot) is a fking Montepulciano D'Abruzzo

Gonna be heading to Italy for about 5 weeks in September/October. Pretty pumped for the wines as much as anything, which is how you know you're a lost cause I reckon lol.

Nero’s doing really well for us. This will be our first exclusive Monte for the business, so keen to see how it goes.

Have you found Mataro and Grenache improving in sales?

Bazal

Post Whore
Nero’s doing really well for us. This will be our first exclusive Monte for the business, so keen to see how it goes.

Have you found Mataro and Grenache improving in sales?

Hard to improve when the business doesn't range either, to be honest :p we don't carry a single straight mataro or grenache oddly enough. Although some larger stores might.

I'm out of the loop somewhat these days being with the business I am. Especially given how slow the business is to react to the market these days. Since First Choice closed and I stepped down (because my role no longer existed and they wanted to make me a back office manager, yuck) I've just been scraping by with part time work and studying.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Hard to improve when the business doesn't range either, to be honest :p we don't carry a single straight mataro or grenache oddly enough. Although some larger stores might.

I'm out of the loop somewhat these days being with the business I am. Especially given how slow the business is to react to the market these days. Since First Choice closed and I stepped down (because my role no longer existed and they wanted to make me a back office manager, yuck) I've just been scraping by with part time work and studying.

Yuck, I had no idea mate. I’m so sorry. With your expertise though, have you considered jumping into our boat? We always need experienced wine people in store. It could be a gateway to something better..?

I could find a contact if you want.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yuck, I had no idea mate. I’m so sorry. With your expertise though, have you considered jumping into our boat? We always need experienced wine people in store. It could be a gateway to something better..?

I could find a contact if you want.

Cheers for the offer but tbh I've decided to get out of it, at least for a while. Being anchored in the town I am there's just very little opportunity moving forward and big competition for roles. I definitely enjoyed it for a while but I've come out my previous role pretty jaded with the whole set-up from the perspective of my current employer (and their major competition, knowing many of the other guys well). When they make a conscious decision to essentially stop supplying premium wines, and you're arguing the toss with former supermarket merchandising folks who think champagne is anything with bubbles, and fresh marketing grads who exclusively drink moscato and you basically (and consistently) get told that you can't possibly grasp what the business is doing it kind of makes you question what the point of it all is.

Or when your area and state managers tell you that your store that lost 65k per week in sales and closed down after the aforementioned decision only failed because you didn't do enough upselling on the "spend $30 and get X for $10" deals with a straight face, you just sit there and go how the f**k can people like this advance so far in a so-called wine business? Do they seriously think that we were losing out on $65,000 worth of $10 upsells every week? The other side of the duopoly coin doesn't seem any better either.

I might change my mind if I miss out on a grad position. I seriously considered putting my hat in the ring for a Tyrrells rep job, but in my last six months of uni I just can't dedicate enough time to doing that while I'm heading out to the Southern Highlands and Griffith and whatnot. And I don't see the point in stopping this degree with four units to go, I might as well smash it out and then see where I am in the new year.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Cheers for the offer but tbh I've decided to get out of it, at least for a while. Being anchored in the town I am there's just very little opportunity moving forward and big competition for roles. I definitely enjoyed it for a while but I've come out my previous role pretty jaded with the whole set-up from the perspective of my current employer (and their major competition, knowing many of the other guys well). When they make a conscious decision to essentially stop supplying premium wines, and you're arguing the toss with former supermarket merchandising folks who think champagne is anything with bubbles, and fresh marketing grads who exclusively drink moscato and you basically (and consistently) get told that you can't possibly grasp what the business is doing it kind of makes you question what the point of it all is.

Or when your area and state managers tell you that your store that lost 65k per week in sales and closed down after the aforementioned decision only failed because you didn't do enough upselling on the "spend $30 and get X for $10" deals with a straight face, you just sit there and go how the f**k can people like this advance so far in a so-called wine business? Do they seriously think that we were losing out on $65,000 worth of $10 upsells every week? The other side of the duopoly coin doesn't seem any better either.

I might change my mind if I miss out on a grad position. I seriously considered putting my hat in the ring for a Tyrrells rep job, but in my last six months of uni I just can't dedicate enough time to doing that while I'm heading out to the Southern Highlands and Griffith and whatnot. And I don't see the point in stopping this degree with four units to go, I might as well smash it out and then see where I am in the new year.

Were you with the company when Quaffers existed ? I think Quaffers started in late 1995, I started in 1996, Quaffers was Coles version of what First Choice is now but with a lot more top end wine besides some of the cheapies, it lasted till 2007 . Especially in the earlier days we had regular tastings after work on Fridays where reps from the companies would come in and do tastings , they were the good old days, still have plenty of merchandise freebies even now from those days. When I went to Liquorland after Quaffers shut down it was like a death in the family, suddenly I was faced with selling cheap crappy wine, I lost contact with a lot of the good reps over the years and my wine knowledge which I built up over the Quaffers years has all but gone. I really hate working for Liquorland for the above reasons you mentioned but I’m getting closer to the retirement point of my life now so I just bite the bullet and go in and listen to the company wankfest from our new area manager, it just goes in one ear and out the other with me.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Were you with the company when Quaffers existed ? I think Quaffers started in late 1995, I started in 1996, Quaffers was Coles version of what First Choice is now but with a lot more top end wine besides some of the cheapies, it lasted till 2007 . Especially in the earlier days we had regular tastings after work on Fridays where reps from the companies would come in and do tastings , they were the good old days, still have plenty of merchandise freebies even now from those days. When I went to Liquorland after Quaffers shut down it was like a death in the family, suddenly I was faced with selling cheap crappy wine, I lost contact with a lot of the good reps over the years and my wine knowledge which I built up over the Quaffers years has all but gone. I really hate working for Liquorland for the above reasons you mentioned but I’m getting closer to the retirement point of my life now so I just bite the bullet and go in and listen to the company wankfest from our new area manager, it just goes in one ear and out the other with me.

Nah I'm not old enough for Quaffers. I was premium product manager in one of the best wine stores in the country as far as First Choice goes though. Second only to Naremburn in NSW/ACT. My premium wine section was seven racks of 120 facings, with a 300 facing super premium locked area.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Nah I'm not old enough for Quaffers. I was premium product manager in one of the best wine stores in the country as far as First Choice goes though. Second only to Naremburn in NSW/ACT. My premium wine section was seven racks of 120 facings, with a 300 facing super premium locked area.

Quaffers was like a rawer version of First Choice, the first shop was in Waterloo, it took over the old Farmers Brothers building there, once it was established they opened another shop in Hornsby and two in Melbourne, the head base ended up in Tooronga Melbourne and I think they also opened one shop in Adelaide and also Perth, this was set up before Dan Murphys took hold in Sydney, I really don't know what happened to Quaffers in the end, the head office at the time seemed to run the brand into the ground and once Dans had established it self in Sydney the Quaffers concept was dead, in the last couple of years they were floating around the idea of rebranding it as Big Box and had a location picked out in Alexandria but that all fell through too. I still remember the days of taking delivery when the Grange came out and hiding them away in a safe place in the warehouse. Vintage Cellars on line ran out of the same building also.

Where was your First Choice based in Canberra ? When I visit Canberra I often call into the Belconnen store.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That’s on the label.

Deleted it? What?

f**k.

I’m going to get all the local stock tomorrow!!

Looks like they still have some stock at Liquorland online, not a 100% sure as cannot log in but it is showing as still having stock on the site.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Quaffers was like a rawer version of First Choice, the first shop was in Waterloo, it took over the old Farmers Brothers building there, once it was established they opened another shop in Hornsby and two in Melbourne, the head base ended up in Tooronga Melbourne and I think they also opened one shop in Adelaide and also Perth, this was set up before Dan Murphys took hold in Sydney, I really don't know what happened to Quaffers in the end, the head office at the time seemed to run the brand into the ground and once Dans had established it self in Sydney the Quaffers concept was dead, in the last couple of years they were floating around the idea of rebranding it as Big Box and had a location picked out in Alexandria but that all fell through too. I still remember the days of taking delivery when the Grange came out and hiding them away in a safe place in the warehouse. Vintage Cellars on line ran out of the same building also.

Where was your First Choice based in Canberra ? When I visit Canberra I often call into the Belconnen store.

When Tony Leon got hold of Dan Murphy’s and expanded it, Dan’s went from a destination store which was unique due to the small number of stores (20 or something) to 100 or so. The geographical reach of Dan’s and their lowest price guarantee basically sucks customers from liquor stores around them into the Dan’s catchment. After Tony left, Martin basically turned it into a cultural giant and Coles were unsure how to respond.

Instead of building on the idea of Quaffers and growing the equity in the brand, they did they old ‘copycat’ and tried to turn Quaffers into a Dan’s figther. Except they couldn’t do it because the concept already existed, and Dan’s had the deep pockets to maintain their lowest price guarantee.

Thus, 1st Choice turned into a facade, and with the exception of Bazal’s store and a few others, was essentially an upmarket Liquorland.

Its the same thing as what Bunnings did with Masters, except this time WW’s won. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1st Choice doesn’t exist in th 5 years.

Mong

Post Whore
The closest first choice to me has an ok range of red and whites, nothing too special. They are quite limited compared to Dans, I can't get a Chablis of any description there and their whisky selection is poor.

I will only go there for the odd specific brand of wine that i know Dans don't stock.

Unfortunatley i don't have a Dans near by, there are three BWS stores within a sand wedge distance of one another with one liquorland thrown in.

On a side note, it looks like Ivan henjack works at once of the BWS's. It looks exactly like him and his name tag shows Ivan.

BWS is so shit.

Bazal

Post Whore
When Tony Leon got hold of Dan Murphy’s and expanded it, Dan’s went from a destination store which was unique due to the small number of stores (20 or something) to 100 or so. The geographical reach of Dan’s and their lowest price guarantee basically sucks customers from liquor stores around them into the Dan’s catchment. After Tony left, Martin basically turned it into a cultural giant and Coles were unsure how to respond.

Instead of building on the idea of Quaffers and growing the equity in the brand, they did they old ‘copycat’ and tried to turn Quaffers into a Dan’s figther. Except they couldn’t do it because the concept already existed, and Dan’s had the deep pockets to maintain their lowest price guarantee.

Thus, 1st Choice turned into a facade, and with the exception of Bazal’s store and a few others, was essentially an upmarket Liquorland.

Its the same thing as what Bunnings did with Masters, except this time WW’s won. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1st Choice doesn’t exist in th 5 years.

I'm surprised First Choice still does tbh. I don't even get the catalogues dropped in my mailbox anymore. All three stores remaining in Canberra are on struggle street... and elsewhere they turned some into LL Warehouse, which is an admission of defeat. Some have closed (mine, one or two in the Newcastle area. I think the Chatswood store failed within 18 months!).

They just never ever worked it out. Tony Leon even came on board and started a real charge, but they've consistently put the wrong people in other areas of the business and they just repealed all the good work he did. The model was there. Stores like ours, Naremburn, Sylvania and others showed the way to go...heavy focus on high end wines at good prices and a loyal customer base. We were doing $170k sales weeks with 65% wine sales at one stage, even with a Dans 500m away.

Realistically if they wanted to save First Choice the way forward was to turn stores that are glorified Liquorlands into Liquorland Warehouse stores relying on bulk beer, RTD and Lindemans sales, and have the stores like Naremburn et al move further in the direction of a one-stop boutique liquor market. Instead, they've basically turned First Choice into a bulk wine outlet selling bundle buys and trying to make money by putting wines that have an LUC of about $3 in 6 for $36 deals. Then they pat themselves on the back and say "look at us we make 100% profit on every deal we sell hurr hurr." But they fail to realise that the actual profit is f**k all.

There are 128 6 packs to a pallet. Assuming you sell that pallet (no guarantee, trust me...it's never a deal people fly in for) making $18 on each box, then your entire pallet nets you $2300 profit. I had a customer who used to spend up to $1000 a week on six or so wines, and I'll use him as an example because he consistently bought the same wines so it's easy. Let's say for the sake of argument, over the month, he bought 24 wines. Roughly speaking he might buy 6 Teusner Albert (LUC was around $32 at the time, shelf price $48) 6 Torbreck The Struie (LUC around $35, shelf $50), 3 Katnook Prodigy (LUC around $70, shelf $90), 3 Yalumba Octavius (LUC around $75, Shelf $95), 3 Stonewell Shiraz (LUC around $80, shelf $100) and 3 Mount Langi Ghiran (LUC around $80, shelf $100).

I'm being pretty rough with the figures off the top of my head obviously, but that nets you around $450 profit at the till...which is the same for four cartons of wine as you net from 25 cartons at 6 for $36. And that's before you take into account the sheer bulk we sold of wines at $20-30 with LUCs around $15-18. Some of those we were selling ten cartons a week and making as much on one bottle as you do on a 6 pack bundle. We also sold a tonne of good quality affordable imports that we made a bucket load on, but most of those were casualties of the new marketing team too.

Most, if not all, those products are gone from First Choice now. The people who buy like that sure as shit didn't stick around to get glorified cleanskins in bulk.

And they wonder why they're struggling....

Bazal

Post Whore
The closest first choice to me has an ok range of red and whites, nothing too special. They are quite limited compared to Dans, I can't get a Chablis of any description there and their whisky selection is poor.

Before the last re-ranging, I had I think 14 Chablis SKUs ranging from $15 to $120. I mean, if that doesn't demonstrate my point to a tee...

There is a huge market for imported and boutique wines these days, but First Choice went entirely the other way. It was actually an insult to guys like me, who built up an awesome range and played a huge role in changing the approach originally, to see it gutted like that...for eg I was the driving force behind ranging over 60 Canberra SKUs. I fought tooth and nail until I found a sympathetic buyer who actually saw the potential and had my back. We were selling $25,000 worth of local wines across Canberra every week...then some marketing guru straight out of supermarkets came in and said "well these products that are only ranged in the ACT only account for whatever fractional % of wine sales nationally so they're all deleted with immediate effect." Absolutely no consideration for the fact that they accounted for around 3-5% of TOTAL sales in the ACT.

That's the kind of attitude we had to deal with, and the kind of people who were telling us we didn't know enough to question to their decisions.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Paxis Red Blend

Another Coles exclusive, half price this week @ $10 (and half that for me!). Blend of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz. Classic Touriga perfume, very pure and bright on the palate, soft fruit, very little oak or tannin and a little bit of that sunny Portuguese ripeness on the finish.

Not a serious wine, but it's f**king delicious.

Cracked a bottle last night, easy drinking, thought it was a bit meh overall, I liked it but I didn’t love it, seeing it was a work day today I didn’t finished the bottle, kept some to go in the beef pot roast tonight, still have dribble left now. Just decanted a Gramps 2009 Shiraz to have with pot roast later.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Red Label is back! Lol.

Anyway, Franco and Rico Malbec. Exclusive, new, $12. Plums and cherries, herbaceous and spicy enough to hold interest, mid-weight and quite soft but a very savoury finish.

Not sure if Coles have changed their wine buyers or if they've just grown a clue but they're pulling in some really decent wines lately.

Why do Liquorland get people interested in these wines and then cannot guarentee a regular supply? Can’t get the Franco And RIco and also the Pablo and Pedro Tempranillo at the moment, both move well when we have them in stock.

Bazal

Post Whore
Cracked a bottle last night, easy drinking, thought it was a bit meh overall, I liked it but I didn’t love it, seeing it was a work day today I didn’t finished the bottle, kept some to go in the beef pot roast tonight, still have dribble left now. Just decanted a Gramps 2009 Shiraz to have with pot roast later.

It's a very European style, which I love. Not for everyone though.

It's Bastille Day, so the big bottle tonight is a 2010 Chateau La Prade Cotes de Bordeaux. Another former First Choice/VC exclusive.

Merlot dominant, bit of cab sauv and cab franc as is tradition. Still very closed, gonna give it some time to breathe, but the nose is already a delicious mass of cherries. Just not reflected on the palate yet

Latest posts