What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing's Fears Over Souths Squeeze

Wing's Fears Over Souths Squeeze

by Josh Rakic | May 17, 2009

SOUTHS star Craig Wing has admitted to cover his long-term future at the club, revealing he has all but lost faith in the NRL contractual system.

"I suppose, with the climate of rugby league now, you look at the way things are with contracts and it doesn't really matter what's going to happen," said Wing, whose return to his junior club could end just two years into a four-year contract.

"There's a whole lot of talk in the air about me staying or going, but you can never be sure of things these days until it actually happens.

"You never know who's going to be your coach; some teams don't even know if they're going to be around next year, or players, if they're going to be needed. I've got a manager now so I'll let him worry about that stuff."

The club is reportedly struggling to fit Wing under the salary cap since signing star forwards Michael Crocker and David Taylor this month, and it is believed he and the club are on shaky terms over unpaid third-party agreements.

Wing referred to David Fa'alogo's shock revelation during the week that he was leaving the club at the end of the season, mid-contract.

"It came way out of the blue - I didn't even see that coming," said the 29-year-old, who's pledged his allegiance to the club but doesn't know if it'll be enough. "All of a sudden Dave gets up during a video session and says he's leaving. That shocked me."

As Crocker prepares to make his Souths debut this afternoon against Wests Tigers, Wing hinted he is by no means resigned to leaving.

"Crock seems to have timed things pretty well in his career - he seemed to enjoy all the success at the Roosters and pinned it just at the right time to enjoy all the success at the Storm. So going by that record, we're due to win a grand final sometime soon and I wouldn't mind being a part of that," he said.

Wing's sizzling display for City last weekend at five-eighth prompted Blues selector Laurie Daley to declare the player could make a shock return to the State of Origin arena after a two-year absence.

"Before the City-Country game I would have said Craig Wing was a long shot, but on his performance the other night he's rocketed into calculations," Daley said.

"We've got to weigh up on the bench - whether we go with someone who can play outside backs and forwards like Luke Lewis, or Wingie who can play in those crucial halves/hooker positions."

While Wing enjoys the playmaker's role, the former international said he is not demanding a halves jumper or even a starting spot at Souths.

"Initially it was hard for me to accept the super-sub tag but when I think about it, it's a big compliment and it's a position teams need to fill," Wing said.

"I find something enjoyable in every position and I'd never have played Origin if I wasn't versatile.

"Over the past year or so with injuries and other stuff, things can sneak up on you and you can carry the weight of the world on your shoulders.

"But I've got a manager now helping me out with everything and all I do now is concentrate on football. And I tell you, I walk a lot easier and enjoy my football a lot more."

Source

coach

Wing sounds like a very unhappy camper at Redfern. I hope we don't lose him, he still has plenty to offer us. And I don't see any ready made replacement for him.

Latest posts