What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winterstein to Wakefield Trinity

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Frank Winterstein joins the ever-growing list of lower-grade Bulldogs headed to the UK...

Wakefield has confirmed the signing of Bulldogs NRL forward Frank Winterstein following recent reports in the media.

Winterstein's signing is subject to obtaining a working visa being approved by the British High Commission and at this stage the odds are favourable as there's not yet any known incidents he has been involved in or charged with.

The possible addition of Winterstein will be a great boost for the Wildcats and are hoping to have him available next month.

Winterstein played five NRL matches for the Bulldogs last year and at 6ft 4in tall and weighing over 100kg has the potential to be a damaging back-rower.

The 22-year-old is the cousin of former Wakefield captain Willie Poaching, who had three seasons at Belle Vue from 1999 to 2001 and was captain in his final season at the Wildcats.

It's been difficult for players to obtain visas with Todd Carney (Huddersfield), Greg Bird (Bradford), Michael Crocker (Hull FC) and Greg Eastwood (Leeds) unsuccessful in being granted a visa, but at this stage the situation looks good for Winterstein unless the British High Commission uncovers a record that hasn't yet been publicised.

Wakefield said that they'll notify their supporters and the public as soon as Winterstein's application for a visa has been confirmed either way.

Link

Bulldog Force

Referee
Not good news for the Bulldogs. I knew he was released last year though when his contract wasn't renewed. I did find that Winterstein had potential and played well, however he looked like he needed to pull his weight a bit and was having trouble doing that - much like Karl McNichol/Filinga.

Coastbloke

Bench
It is said on the Total RL forums - and I agree - that what the hell is this second rate player going to do that a young up and comer from either England, France, Wales or Ireland can't do...??

Ridiculous...

The Clan

Juniors
Wakefield have been very unfortunate with Ilnesses, long term injuries and the death of Adam Watene.

Adam Watene died during the pre season of a massive heart attack and, from a pure playing aspect, his loss has left the pack short.

Another front rower, Richard Moore, who was close to England selection last year has been lost to a long term condition which might end his career. He dropped almost three stones in weight in just two months.

They currently have 10 first team players missing with long term injuries.
their stand off, Jamie Rooney is out of action after dieing on the operating table during a routine knee operation. His heart was resterted after 30 seconds of it being touch and go.

they have a decent youth policy which is stretched to its limit to cover the absences and they badly need cover in the forwards.

Having said goodbye to three of the clubs legendary players, David Topliss, Don Fox and Ken Hirst last year the clu is reeling from this run of extremely bad luck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/wakefield/7897351.stm

Last edited:

The Clan

Juniors
More extremely sad news for Wakefield Trinity and Rugby League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7928334.stm

Rugby League player dies in game

A Wakefield rugby league player has died after collapsing during a Sunday reserve team game against Celtic Crusaders at Maesteg.

Leon Walker, 21, collapsed in the 63rd minute and was airlifted to Morriston Hospital, Swansea where he was pronounced dead.
Walker is the second Wakefield player to die this season. Cook Island international Adam Watene, 31, died after collapsing during a training session in October. The reserve team game at Maesteg kicked off at 1500 GMT and the Super League clash between the two clubs, due to start four hours later, was called off.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Not suggesting that either player was doing anything wrong- but when those soccer players were having heart attacks on field wasn't there the suggestion of cocaine abuse leading to heart problems? Its tragic and as i say, i don't watch much British Rugby League and have never heard anything about drug abuse or anything from wakefield. Is there a possibility of bad club culture or is this just terrible coincidence.

Or maybe an old church grave yard or something?

Either way, terrible loss. Condolences to the Wakefield club.

The Clan

Juniors
Not suggesting that either player was doing anything wrong- but when those soccer players were having heart attacks on field wasn't there the suggestion of cocaine abuse leading to heart problems? Its tragic and as i say, i don't watch much British Rugby League and have never heard anything about drug abuse or anything from wakefield. Is there a possibility of bad club culture or is this just terrible coincidence.

Or maybe an old church grave yard or something?

Either way, terrible loss. Condolences to the Wakefield club.

Mate, I understand the questioning but there's no drug culture, binge drinking or anything like that at the Wakefield club.
There isn't any of the above within Super League to my knoweledge and I know a quite a number of players from various clubs.

I've never known any club in any sport suffer such a run of extreme bad luck and tragedy. There are the obvious incidents like the Munich air disaster which killed many of Man Utds great players and also the Hillsbrough disaster which killed many Liverpol fans. They were massive tragedy's but they were one off incidents.

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Thats good news then. It was just one of the things that crossed my mind and could have warranted a little discussion. I'll admit i knew very little about the incidents, just that they were heart related. I like Wakefield. They made Ben Jeffery look like a maestro there for a few seasons there. Hopefully Rooney can come back and lead the boys around again.

Latest posts