What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

woe woe woeberts

jimmythehand

Juniors
After watching a couple of replays of two of the Knights tries, Ben Roberts looked like a schoolboy playing with men.

First try where McManus steps inside him, it was more like Ben Roberts simply ran past him. It's really pretty simple what Roberts should have done, he should have steadied himself, showed McManus the corner post and also cover the option of the step inside. Instead, he made McManus's decision an easy one by overcommitting to the corner post.

McDougall's try was more of the same, when Bailey picked the ball up Roberts overcommitted and pretty much ran past Bailey, leaving a huge gap in the defence. Again he needed to steady himself and wait for Bailey to reach him, not step past Bailey and let him through.

This sort of stuff is really really elementary and quite simply Ben Roberts should not be playing first grade with pathetic efforts like that. The most unfortunate thing is that you put making these decisions down to "instinct" or "nous", and Roberts just simply don't have it.

dogz08

First Grade
i thing it might be time to try out barba we aint got nothing to lose we play the raiders in 2weeks, i dont no why folkes played groom for the last 30mins at hooker no wonder he couldent do much last night

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
Thats what happens when Folkes plays him out of position at halfback to accomodate Holdsworth the hack. Has ruined his confidence and has played like **** since coming back from injury.

Cant wait for Folkes to finish up and see what Moores approach is..

aqua_duck

Coach
The only thing I remember of Groom was the fend Wes Naiqama put on him, dead set sat him on his arse. Roberts 'attempt' on McManus was pretty embarassing

Rutager

Juniors
After watching a couple of replays of two of the Knights tries, Ben Roberts looked like a schoolboy playing with men.

First try where McManus steps inside him, it was more like Ben Roberts simply ran past him. It's really pretty simple what Roberts should have done, he should have steadied himself, showed McManus the corner post and also cover the option of the step inside. Instead, he made McManus's decision an easy one by overcommitting to the corner post.

McDougall's try was more of the same, when Bailey picked the ball up Roberts overcommitted and pretty much ran past Bailey, leaving a huge gap in the defence. Again he needed to steady himself and wait for Bailey to reach him, not step past Bailey and let him through.

This sort of stuff is really really elementary and quite simply Ben Roberts should not be playing first grade with pathetic efforts like that. The most unfortunate thing is that you put making these decisions down to "instinct" or "nous", and Roberts just simply don't have it.

No forwards = no chance of winning.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I've said it 10000x and I'll say it again. It is this simple:

Ben Roberts is not a half back. Daniel Holdsworth is not a half back.
Ben Roberts is a 5/8. Daniel Holdsworth is a 5/8.
Ben Roberts is a better 5/8 than Daniel Holdsworth.

It really is that simple.

Ben Roberts was going guns at the start of the year before he got injured training with NZ. He was at 5/8 and he was setting the game on fire. He was great. Now he has been moved to half back and he is ****. He was proven time and time again he is a not a half back and can't handle it yet he is made to look bad because he has been given control over the game.

Look at his game against Knights.. He was in control and had to do a vast majority of kicking and leading around. He was crap at it. But then he let loose and toddled back out to that left flank where he works so well and what did he do? He created a try out of absolutely nothing like he was doing at the beginning of the year.

Wake up Folkes. If a regular joe blow fan can see all this why can't a seasoned veteran like you?

Dogaholic

First Grade
Ben Roberts was hanging out in the centres. He wasn't doing his job. He made the odd line break and everyone thought he was going great.

Abz

Juniors
Ben Roberts was hanging out in the centres. He wasn't doing his job. He made the odd line break and everyone thought he was going great.
You reminded me of something. Back in '06, towards the end of the season, Roberts played a few games @ centre and from what I saw, he was doing ok and seemed comfortable there. Is he an option there over Millard? Holdsworth 5/8th, Groom 7?

Just a thought.

Latest posts