What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wold Cup Legacy

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What are everyone's thoughts on what legacy this world cup will leave? For me there are a few potentials:

• Annual, commercially successful Pacific Cup put in place that will provide income for the Pacific nations
  • Regular Kiwi home tests; it has now been shown that NZ can host commercially viable tests against Australia, England, Tonga and probably Samoa. They must play home tests every year.
  • Regular Kumul home tests; There is no excuse now either for the Kumuls not to play at least one home test each year; be it Pacific Cup matches or a one-off test against any other nation. The stadium will clearly sell-out and the people of PNG deserve to see their national team in action every year
  • More and more players committing to the islands inspired by Tonga's world cup run and excited by more regular fixtures
  • The RLIF assisting Scotland in getting it together after hitting rock-bottom
  • France getting completely disatisfied with constant world cup failure and getting their act together at the same time that Toulouse provides them with a second professional presense in SuperLeague

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully:
They will use the profits wisely
The ARLC will wake up to the value of international competition
NZRL will realise they can play games at home and make some money
Ch7 will realise they should go hard after more RL content
PNG Govt will realise they built the stadium too small
The RLIF and country boards will develop a 12 year strategy so RLWC2029 will feature 16 competitive teams and a 12 team womens comp

Stallion

First Grade
Hopefully:
They will use the profits wisely
The ARLC will wake up to the value of international competition
NZRL will realise they can play games at home and make some money
Ch7 will realise they should go hard after more RL content
PNG Govt will realise they built the stadium too small
The RLIF and country boards will develop a 12 year strategy so RLWC2029 will feature 16 competitive teams and a 12 team womens comp

And rugby league gains recognition as a sport by organisations that matter in world sport.

magpie_man

Juniors
Hopefully this will be the catalyst for NZ being a bit more proactive in hosting internationals - they don't need the Kangaroos anymore.
Post NRL season, get the Poms down for a Four Nations tournament with Samoa and Tonga, entirely hosted in NZ.
The NZRL sell the TV rights to Sky and Channel 7, get more international experience, more exposure for their sponsors, and turn a tidy little profit while the Kangaroos "rest".

Stallion

First Grade
Not sure about this one. Why should they be rewarded for being slack?

Thought the Scottish effort in their final group match showed mongrel! They have a braveheart aura about them. Just need assistance in a very harsh local scenario in Scotland itself.

langpark

First Grade
I was talking about the local front. Why should they get extra assistance for running it in to the ground? While other countries that have done the hard yards get nothing? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Stallion

First Grade
I was talking about the local front. Why should they get extra assistance for running it in to the ground? While other countries that have done the hard yards get nothing? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Are you aware of the obstacles the code faces in the 'local' front of Scotland? And the Scottish did aim up in their final game. Not disastrous at all?

langpark

First Grade
Are you aware of the obstacles the code faces in the 'local' front of Scotland? And the Scottish did aim up in their final game. Not disastrous at all?
Yes I am well aware of the 'obstacles' in Scotland, they had a massive headstart that many in continental Europe never had and they squandered it. I can name you a dozen mainland Euro nations that now have more activity than them. What the Aussie boys wearing a Scotland shirt did against Samoa is irrelevant.

Springs09

Juniors
Legacies that the World Cup will leave, without thinking about potential legacies:

- Tonga defeating NZ, which has inspired Tongan communities everywhere and will boost Rugby League in Tonga and the other Pacific nations. This in turn should lead to more Tongans both in Tonga and abroad taking up league and more first grade players turning out for Tonga at international level. Not only that, but the Tongan crowds have shown what kind of atmosphere we can achieve if we start scheduling and marketing our game better.

- Ireland sticking to their 5 domestic players rule and still performing well. They may not have needed to use them but the experience is invaluable and hopefully other countries can do the same. Their performance in the World Cup should continue the slow build for Irish RL, with a team in the Challenge Cup and a few players in the Championship or League 1 now.

- USA being brave enough to come over with a largely domestic squad. Even though they got smashed the players would have loved the experience and will be all the better for it.

- PNG performing well and producing three sell-out games. No reason why they can't host full internationals every year now.

- Lebanon performing brilliantly with a team made up of mostly part-time players that have stuck with Lebanon throughout the qualifiers. Their crowds have been great and there has been media attention back in Lebanon. Bringing along 5 domestic players for the tournament was great and should be followed by other countries.

- Exciting footy played by NZ, Tonga, Fiji and PNG that has captivated crowds and audiences much more than Australia's boring wrestle. Surely the NRL can see what type of footy we need and start enforcing the rules like they should be.

- Good squads, crowds and results for Pacific teams means that the big 3 playing Pacific sides in both one-off tests and tournaments are a viable option now.

- Internationals never to be held in Cairns or Townsville or Canberra again, or at least not several games per tournament.

- Poor ticket sales and large TV ratings indicating to all forms of the game that game prices are much too high. NRL had the same problem, and when you struggle to sell out Origin in Queensland surely something in their heads must have ticked.

Pommy

Coach

I don’t think having your two major cities a few hours drive north of rugby league heartlands can be considered a obstacle.

Stallion

First Grade
I don’t think having your two major cities a few hours drive north of rugby league heartlands can be considered a obstacle.

Tell that to the Scots! Their is certainly obstacles, be it lack of visibility, local government funding, federal government funding/recognition. Who knows but I'd suggest that these things are obstacles along with poor administrators no doubt!

Pommy

Coach
Tell that to the Scots! Their is certainly obstacles, be it lack of visibility, local government funding, federal government funding/recognition. Who knows but I'd suggest that these things are obstacles along with poor administrators no doubt!

I think most of what you have said are results of piss poor administrators rather than obstacles. What federal government are you talking about Scotland/UK is not a federalised country.

Stallion

First Grade
I think most of what you have said are results of piss poor administrators rather than obstacles. What federal government are you talking about Scotland/UK is not a federalised country.

Suggest a development arm be a part of international rugby league aimed at proactively starting up, advising and assisting rugby league in fledgling countries around the world. I know it means money however the potent spin off from what is probably one of the best sports products on earth is worth the effort investment. Rugby league is an untapped sports phenomenon. It's time to go global in a big way!

Pommy

Coach
Suggest a development arm be a part of international rugby league aimed at proactively starting up, advising and assisting rugby league in fledgling countries around the world. I know it means money however the potent spin off from what is probably one of the best sports products on earth is worth the effort investment. Rugby league is an untapped sports phenomenon. It's time to go global in a big way!

That’s fine but I still don’t know who obstacles Scotland has. They’re in a very privelidged position compared to many other nations and are making a balls up of it anyway.

Stallion

First Grade
That’s fine but I still don’t know who obstacles Scotland has. They’re in a very privelidged position compared to many other nations and are making a balls up of it anyway.

We already have identified one major obstacle : poor administrators. Ive heard that the local rugby union people have a disdain for rugby league. I'm sure they will be doing their bit? Their influence to stifle rugby league has happened elsewhere? Im sure Scotland would not be immune to their sly tactics behind the scenes.

Pommy

Coach
We already have identified one major obstacle : poor administrators. Ive heard that the local rugby union people have a disdain for rugby league. I'm sure they will be doing their bit? Their influence to stifle rugby league has happened elsewhere? Im sure Scotland would not be immune to their sly tactics behind the scenes.

Poor admins isn’t an obstacle though, they are RL Scotland.
Union have to worry about themselves, it’s no good blaming union for every failing of our sport it’s boring and not a credible argument.
So what ‘federal’ funding were you talking about?