What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens World Cup announced

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't have the draw/details (missed the start of the announcement, will update shortly) - I *think* it's 6 teams, final played as double header preceding the Mens final at Suncorp. Other games will be hosted at Shark Park.

Interesting to note the NSW Government is spruiking their involvement after cold shouldering the World Cup a few months ago.

Burns

First Grade
You beat me to the thread making Adamkungl! Also nice Facebook comment mate ;) It is a bit curious that suddenly the NSW Government are on the front foot with an announcement.

Ruan Sims made comment that there would be a 'Oceania team' instead of individual Pacific nations. Not great, but better then nothing?

Having the Final with the Mens in terrific news. Shark Park is an interesting choice of venue?

SJR

Juniors
Missed the start of announcement but assumed it was a NSW minister who replied to a question that the investment in women's RLWC was an investment in women's sport (rather than government waking up after missing out on most of men's matches).

Burns

First Grade
RLWC 2017 just tweeted that it is 6 teams from 3 'continents':
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Papua New Guniea
  • England
  • Canada
  • Either Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or the Cook Islands. To be decided by a Pacific Qualifying Series at St Mary's in Western Sydney in October.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ah Canada! Cool - I was expecting France or Wales. pity they couldn't take it to 8!
I expect big things for 2021 :)

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I notice Italy & Spain in their development are also working hard including women's rugby league. If finance improves in the future, the women's version could grow quite nicely. Shame the French couldn't be there (bit of a let down considering the new regime in charge are spruiking great changes) as they have a solid women's comp there

adamkungl

Immortal
If it's played 3 games a week for 3 weeks, it will be an 'interesting' draw:

Seeded something like:
Pool A: 1 Aus 3 Eng 5 Canada
Pool B: 2 NZ 4 PNG 6 Pacific

each round would have 2 in-pool games and 1 cross-pool
Round 1: 1v3 2v4 5v6
Round 2: 1v5 2v6 3v4
Round 3: 3v5 4v6 1v2

semis:
Winner Pool A v 2nd Pool B
Winner Pool B v 2nd Pool A

final:
Semi A winner v Semi B winner

CQ Italia

Juniors
The 2008 version had 8 teams so would have been nice to have at least that - it had AUS, NZ, ENG, Tonga, Samoa, Russia, France and 'Pacific Islands'. I'm sure Russia and PIs could be replaced by PNG & Fiji this time. Fiji and Samoa could have potentially strong sides if there were more time and more organisation.

taipan

Referee
I'm more than happy with the set up.Canada now that is one out of left field.
All we have to do now ,is wait for the expected RLWC knockers who come out of the woodwork.

So the NSW govt paid for this one ey?

And no France is a joke. I doubt Canada even has a women's team yet but they're in. France and even Russia should be there. No doubt these Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Cooks sides will have little to do with Fiji, Samoa, Tonga or Cook Islands.

Scubby

Juniors
I think the RLIF development strategy document mentioned about trying to actively develop RL in G20 countries. This may have been part of that initiative.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I doubt Russia has womens games anymore.

A bit unfair on Fiji, they have at least 8 womens teams / clubs in Fiji (a few attached with current clubs but 1-2 are independent) - really they could have more with more focus on womens growth. I'm not sure on the other nations
The qualifiers of course will be heritage (it's a Harmon Cup heritage based event) - but I think nations should have really had a minimum domestic set up to be at the Womens RLWC or qualifiers

Just in Nadroga (which only had Fiji's first womens game this year) have now had - Navosa Bulls, Coastal Owls, Noitoga Bears, Coastline Roos and Korolevu Raiders.
Ra - Namuainawaqa Sea Eagles, Burenitu Cowboys, Nababa Rabbitohs
Not sure on other areas.

They also had 'inter zone' or regional rep teams ( example - Nadroga Knights Vs Nasinu Titans

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Not really sure what insane criteria they used to come up with the teams they did. Probably none, or made it up as they go, as seems par for the course.
But hey, it's a start of sorts. It's already got more publicity than I remember any previous ones having.

Fair enough if Fiji has a proper domestic comp.

I'm guessing they made the French pay their own way and the FFRXIII chose not to. It's f**ked though because as much as Canada seems impressive it looks pretty weak having only six teams and none from Europe other than England.

taipan

Referee
Much prefer France and the Ruskies to be included,but happy to settle for this as a starting point.
Playing the final at Suncorp at the same date as the mens,will give female rl plenty of exposure.
Hopefully 12 teams in 2021

PaulyTom

Juniors
I'm surprised France are not sending a team. I'm pretty sure they have women playing the game.

astreizix

Juniors
For me it's unfair and a big damage that France will not participate to the Womens World Cup.

French federation made a big effort tu develop this area of the game, with also the pressure of the french government to encourage women participation in all sports.

With competition with Union and also his Olympic seven's version, the non-participation of France in the coming RLWC is a major blow for the game in my country.

Here in France there are many passionate girls loving RL.

I sent a message to the FFRXIII asking why they weren't in the WC and didn't get an answer. They are constantly spruiking their women's games on Facebook etc so it seems strange they wouldn't want to send a team, even if it meant paying their way.

But strange is not an uncommon description of the game there.

Latest posts