What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens World Cup

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems a odd collection of countries, is it lack of funding or lack of players that stopped other countries being involved? I know just in WA there is a big islander representation in Women's RL comp here. Go the Cook Islands!

Australia
NZ
England
PNG
Canada
Cook Islands

1510631760732.jpg

Stallion

First Grade
Seems a odd collection of countries, is it lack of funding or lack of players that stopped other countries being involved? I know just in WA there is a big islander representation in Women's RL comp here. Go the Cook Islands!

Australia
NZ
England
PNG
Canada
Cook Islands

1510631760732.jpg

The Canadian side raised all funds on their own. Unfortunately the code cannot access government funding due to its non recognition in being a sport by the GSAIF. Get the picture! ?

yakstorm

First Grade
Lack of funding was a significant reason France didn't enter a team. Fiji, Samoa and Tonga all had an opportunity to qualify, however pulled out due to a ridiculous qualification process (held in Western Sydney with all teams expected to play three full 80 minute games in one day in like February)

Cook Islands qualified by being the only team that turned up willing to play.

Being honest, Women's RL is still in a very formative stage in many countries. Fiji only held it's first organised competitions this year, Tonga & Samoa have had a couple of years of domestic Women's RL, Italy, Lebanon & Spain pretty much kicked off their first games in 2016, Chile only just started this year (and the Women play in a mixed competition) and as for Russia who competed in 2008, no idea if they still have Womens competitions kicking around.

Come 2021, there should be greater competition for spots.

hutch

First Grade
I’m pretty sure the Tongan, Samoan, Fijian andxthe Cook Islands teams that were meant to play in the qualifying day were all Aussie based too. I think the cooks picked only one player from the Cook Islands for the World Cup.
Hopefully it is a successful tournament and grows into bigger and better things in the future.

Stallion

First Grade
Wonder if their us an international development fund. Perhaps businesss and wealthy genuine rugby league fans could donate and see these finances assist fledgling competitions (male and female )around the world,? Even if this fund support rugby league's longstanding quest to be recognised as a sport by GSAIF etc would be handy!

hutch

First Grade
I read that rugby league will become the first sport to play both its women and men’s World Cup finals at the same place on the same day. Does anybody know any different?
Rugby league leading the way in sport yet again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I read that rugby league will become the first sport to play both its women and men’s World Cup finals at the same place on the same day. Does anybody know any different?
Rugby league leading the way in sport yet again.

If that's correct they should be shouting this from the rooftops! In a year where AFL trumped us with a much heralded national womens comp it would be good to even the ledger with this news!

Billythekid

First Grade
If that's correct they should be shouting this from the rooftops! In a year where AFL trumped us with a much heralded national womens comp it would be good to even the ledger with this news!

This is RL. It'll be lucky to get so much as a mention in the media or by anyone involved in RL.

Force

Juniors
Fiji, Samoa and Tonga all had an opportunity to qualify, however pulled out due to a ridiculous qualification process (held in Western Sydney with all teams expected to play three full 80 minute games in one day in like February)

Cook Islands qualified by being the only team that turned up willing to play.

Funny thing is, looking at the World Cup schedule, all womens teams only have 3 days inbetween games during the pool rounds. Trying to do things on the cheap to cram them all in to 2 weeks.

ULYSSES

Juniors
I'm a little over the posters that continually blame other codes, organisations and or lack of government funding. A few posts back a post detailed how the Canadian Rugby league was disadvantaged by code lacking some international recognition, yet a team comprising Rah Rahs can manage to represent Canada in the WRLWC. Why did these women manage what our code could not.
Where I live with a population oh about 14,000 people we had about 300 junior league and a senior club in the main Newcastle comp. A few years ago we had some difficulty raising funds. The senior club folded and juniors have dropped to around 100. Faced with the same financial issues the Afl grew their seniors to two teams and about 100 juniors and RU field 3 senior and 250 juniors. Why. We have been top dog in NSW and QLD for a long time and we have forgotten how to grow, in fact we have forgotten how to consolidate what we have. Let us address the real issues and tell the wingers to F... off.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I'm a little over the posters that continually blame other codes, organisations and or lack of government funding. A few posts back a post detailed how the Canadian Rugby league was disadvantaged by code lacking some international recognition, yet a team comprising Rah Rahs can manage to represent Canada in the WRLWC. Why did these women manage what our code could not.
Where I live with a population oh about 14,000 people we had about 300 junior league and a senior club in the main Newcastle comp. A few years ago we had some difficulty raising funds. The senior club folded and juniors have dropped to around 100. Faced with the same financial issues the Afl grew their seniors to two teams and about 100 juniors and RU field 3 senior and 250 juniors. Why. We have been top dog in NSW and QLD for a long time and we have forgotten how to grow, in fact we have forgotten how to consolidate what we have. Let us address the real issues and tell the wingers to F... off.
It's always the wingers fault, sometimes the centre goes in field off his man.

DC_fan

Coach
Let us all be honest guys. If we want to watch a fair dinkum game of football we will not be watching the ladies play. Nothing against their competition, but if you want to see the best you watch men play.

It’s like netball. If you want to see the best then you watch the ladies.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Let us all be honest guys. If we want to watch a fair dinkum game of football we will not be watching the ladies play..
I watched last night's Australia vs Cook Islands game and found it quite entertaining.

One try the Aussies scored (the 3rd I think) was almost NRL standard. The backline movement was all class.

The redhead Aussie halfback was a hottie except for all those rancid tattoos on her arms and legs.