What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Work together or implode ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azkatro

First Grade
A good example of working together .. thank you
I hear problems but I don't hear solutions. Are going to respond with some thoughts on my second point? Better yet, are you going to respond to ANY ideas?

dubopov

Coach
well dubopov, theres not much point in me giving you my opinion, which you asked for, if you don't want it, or if you try and tell me how i think, and essentially calling me a liar. So o fully agree with azkatro's sentiments.

The score is really not important to me. i was writing articles for rugby league magazines last year, and getting no pay, no score, no comments.

Yet i loved it and kept doing it. It had nothing to do with ego stroking, and everything to do with doing something I enjoyed.

huh ??

dubopov

Coach
I hear problems but I don't hear solutions. Are going to respond with some thoughts on my second point? Better yet, are you going to respond to ANY ideas?

I put forward a couple of ideas in the Marking Criteria thread .. Should I put them here instead ?

dubopov

Coach
An idea re "implosion" .. maybe the key to improving things is NOT to get the ideas of those you are happy because their teams are the Top 3 .. maybe the ones who should be asked are the Souths people who didn't Post this Round, the people in teams who pulled out at the end of last year and those who've quit over the years ..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
An idea re "implosion" .. maybe the key to improving things is NOT to get the ideas of those you are happy because their teams are the Top 3 .. maybe the ones who should be asked are the Souths people who didn't Post this Round, the people in teams who pulled out at the end of last year and those who've quit over the years ..
no need to be an ignorant tosser.

Panthers spent 2 years out of the finals, scraped in one year and last year made the GF.

We got there through hard f**king work and nothing less. We probably became a team with the smallest squad of players to ever make a GF last year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're free to speak here now, seeing as how we're all being frank and open.

dubopov

Coach
no need to be an ignorant tosser.

Panthers spent 2 years out of the finals, scraped in one year and last year made the GF.

We got there through hard f**king work and nothing less. We probably became a team with the smallest squad of players to ever make a GF last year.

thanks for the abuse .. and don't f**king play your violins to me. I was in a team that ended up with 2 players .. the hard-working capt and myself. He then quit at season's end and I was primarily responsible for building up a team from scratch .. this was hard, hard, hard, hard work. We made it to the Semis and still don't know how we ever win or lose .. it's random.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for the abuse .. and don't f**king play your violins to me. I was in a team that ended up with 2 players .. the hard-working capt and myself. He then quit at season's end and I was primarily responsible for building up a team from scratch .. this was hard, hard, hard, hard work. We made it to the Semis and still don't know how we ever win or lose .. it's random.
And i was captain of a sharks team which struggled to get 3 articles in each week. I know what its like just as much as anyone here does.

I'm not playing any violins, I'm talking from experience.

If anyone is playing violins its the idiots whinging about their scores and the like.

dubopov

Coach
And i was captain of a sharks team which struggled to get 3 articles in each week. I know what its like just as much as anyone here does.

I'm not playing any violins, I'm talking from experience.

If anyone is playing violins its the idiots whinging about their scores and the like.

Yeah .. the Refs are sacrosanct ... and anyone who complains, whether justified or not, is a whinger.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
complaining is whinging essentially, by definition.

Admission is the first step.

If a ref provides a reason for their mark, based on their opinion of the article, whats to argue about?

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
complaining is whinging essentially, by definition.

Admission is the first step.

If a ref provides a reason for their mark, based on their opinion of the article, whats to argue about?

If the Ref doesn't apply the same rules to other articles ..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
and how do you prove that is the case?

Why would the ref do that? They get no benefit from any particular side winning. They gain or lose nothing irrespective of the result of any match.

dubopov

Coach
and how do you prove that is the case?

Why would the ref do that? They get no benefit from any particular side winning. They gain or lose nothing irrespective of the result of any match.

Proof evident is our Round 1 match ..

Rexxy

Coach
Yeah .. the Refs are sacrosanct ... and anyone who complains, whether justified or not, is a whinger.

They were conventions around before I came into the comp, so I respected them... e.g saying nothing but thanking the ref and congratulating the other team. You are going to need a quorum and 75% of the vote to change it from that.

All this talk of reform is designed to make it more llike a school room and less like a footy field.

Real reform would be dropping the word count to <500 words or not even having a word count, allowing entries on video etc.

You old merkins wont get the relevance you want by tying everyone to the restrictive yoke of "standards". Who will write and judge these standards? the ABC's SCOPE committee, the Commonwealth Style Guide? Professors?

Give me a break.

To have relevance to the average LUer means posters should be allowed to send in entries on SMS.

Complete with abbreviations.

I'll be twittering mine.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a look at the result and see no issue with the refereeing.

care to elaborate for us all where the issues were, rather than just making flippant remarks.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They were conventions around before I came into the comp, so I respected them... e.g saying nothing but thanking the ref and congratulating the other team. You are going to need a quorum and 75% of the vote to change it from that.

All this talk of reform is designed to make it more llike a school room and less like a footy field.

Real reform would be dropping the word count to <500 words or not even having a word count, allowing entries on video etc.

You old merkins wont get the relevance you want by tying everyone to the restrictive yoke of "standards". Who will write and judge these standards? the ABC's SCOPE committee, the Commonwealth Style Guide? Professors?

Give me a break.

To have relevance to the average LUer means posters should be allowed to send in entries on SMS.

Complete with abbreviations.

I'll be twittering mine.
only 140 characters allowed in a tweet. I think you'll be a bit light on content rexy.

Bubbles

Juniors
I have just read through the entire thread on the marking criteria and have just a couple of thoughts. Firstly, dubopov, man you are treading a very, very fine line accusing a ref of bias like that and then taking pot-shots at those who don't agree with you. I had a ref mark one of my articles down due to grammatical errors, which I disagreed with, HOWEVER, while my punctuation was technically correct, if it was a bit difficult to read in parts, I was happy to cop that on the chin and it's something I look at now when writing, i.e. ensuring that I include ease of reading into my work, not just making sure it's punctuated correctly.
Secondly, I won the Backpacker's Player of the Year award last year and have figured in the placings a few times over the years - this is not to boast, but to say that I never, ever taken into account who the ref is, have never come up with a strategy to get the highest mark. I adhere to a very simple rule of writing; write what you know - this is why I write in an anecdotal way a lot, because I stick to what I know, what I'm passionate about. TBH I am so far not the best writer in this comp, I very rarely get over 90, but by staying true to this one simple rule and standing by my writing ability, I am a consistent performer. I believe if you over-think this comp and strategise etc., you lose what is unique in your articles, which is, well, you. I'm well aware this may not work for some people; some may need to have a formula to adhere to, however, please let's not get over-complicated about this. I like getting a good mark, I am a competitive person, but I am never going to take it so seriously that I call a person's honour into question just because I don't agree with the marking of an article, or another person's article and I will continue to do what I enjoy, bugger the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts