What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

world 13 ? i think not !

O

ozbash

SYDNEY - Kurt Sorenson is the only Kiwi worthy of inclusion in a world 13 selected to mark the silver anniversary of Rugby League World magazine. Sorenson, who was capped 22 times for New Zealand, was named in the second row of the Australian-dominated line-up, drawn from top players over the past 25 years. Sorenson, who ended his playing career in England, was paired with former Balmain and Kangaroo forward Paul Sironen. The only other non-Australian to make the 13 was Great Britain wing Jason Robinson, who has switched codes and now plays rugby for England. Not much has changed over the last quarter of a century in the magazine's attitude towards New Zealand players. When the magazine's predecessor, Open Rugby, named its first team in 1978, New Zealand did not manage one player in the top squad, though Sorenson's brother Dane was rated fifth best prop and Dennis Williams fifth best halfback. A panel of international journalists selected the top five players in each position, taking into account domestic and representative performances, for the 25-year team. New Zealanders Howie Tamati (hooker), Stephen Kearney (second row), Mark Broadhurst (prop) and Matthew Ridge (fullback) were all rated within the top five in their position. The third-ranked Tamati and Ridge came closest to joining Sorenson in the main side. World 13 (Australia unless stated): Garry Jack, Kerry Boustead, Mal Meninga, Steve Rogers, Jason Robinson (Great Britain), Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Ray Price, Kurt Sorenson (New Zealand), Paul Sironen, Glenn Lazarus, Ben Elias, Craig Young. surely they had been drinking over a period of 3-4 days before writing this out. stolen from "granny herald" .

LOL, what a joke that is. I wouldnt feed half of them (actually, half of them wouldn't need it...hello brick).

Here is my team:

1.Andrew Ettingshausen
2.Jason Robinson
3.Mal Meninga
4.Nigel Vagana
5.Eric Grothe
6.Wally Lewis
7.Andrew Johns
13.Andy Farrell
12.Kurt Sorenson
11.Gordon Tallis
10.Craig Smith
9.Henry Paul
8.Shane Webcke

Unbeatable!

Moffo.

Gday, seeing that im not exactly knowledgeable on RL, i thought id humour you all and put together a Tasmanian top 13 :)

1.Ricky Ponting
2.Jamie Cox
3.Michael DiVenuto
4.Colin Funky Miller
5.Tony Dodemaide
6.Mark Atkinson
7.Mills Boon
13.David Gilbert
12.Shaun Young
11.David Saker
10.David Foster
9.tba
8.David Boon

ABCrom

Mate, Kenny was a 5/8 for me.

Steve Rogers was good, but i just think people dont realise how good Nigel Vagana actually is. The best centre going around in the world at the moment for me, i have no doubts about that

Moffo.

imported_justme

Juniors
Sorry but Kenny played most of his international games for Australia at centre alongside GeneMiles (Meninga couldn't make the team) except for the 82 Invincibleswherehe pushed Lewis out of the team.

As I said, Vagana is good but not that good, and definately not thebest centre in the world IMO.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
I don't go back to the days of Rogers and Cronin but there is no comparrison between Renouf and Vagana. Same kind of player but Renouf leaves him for dead.

The other player in top 5 centres was Gary Connolly who was a fantastic player 5 years ago.

imported_justme

Juniors
Yes I agree, I think Renouf did indeed have a far more completegame thanVagana.

Moffo
On another issue, whydid you have ET as the bestfullback? Surely you don't consider him a better fullback than either Jack orBelcher.

ET was a good defender and an amazing attacker. I definitely rate him above Jack, and as for Belcher, it is pretty much a split call. It was a tough one, but i just went for ET, i think he had a longer time at the top of his game

Renouf. I raised this in another thread. What made Renouf such a 'great'?? Sorry, i didn't see it. Sure, he was flashy, and scored quite a few, but id hardly rate him in the elite of the past 25yrs. Renouf was a RL darling, his flashy approach inflated his profile and perhaps inflated how good he really was. But its all opinions, i just think Vagana is/and will be, just that damn good...

Anyways, we should all put our money where our mouths are and name a team, its tough work.

Moffo.

O

ozbash

1, ridge
2,meninga
3,steve rogers
4,jarred mc'cracken
5,wendall
6wally lewis
7,andrew johns
8,steve roach
9,benny elias
10, kevin tamati
11,al;i lau,ititi
12,ian roberts
13,mark graham

14,stacey jones
15 fittler
16,eric grothe
17,olsen filliapina.

very hard
emembarrassed.gif

imported_justme

Juniors
Anyways, we should all put our money where our mouths are and name a team, its tough work
More than happy to oblige
emsmilep.gif

1.Gary Jack 2. Kerry Boustead
3. Brett Kenny
4. Gene Miles
5. Eric Grothe
6. Wally Lewis
7. Peter Sterling
13.Ray Price
12.Kurt Sorenson / Rod Reddy
11.Gordon Tallis
10.Steve Roach / Greg Dowling
9.Kerin Cunningham/ Steve Walters
8.Craig Young

As you said, all a matter of opinion. That would be my best worldteam and if there isn't enough Kiwis or Poms in it then that's only cause IMO they weren't good enough.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Ok, heres my team

1. D Lockyer
  2. ET
  3. M Meninga
  4. G Connolly
  5. J Robinson
  6. L Daley
  7. R Stuart
  8. G Lazarus
  9. S Walters
  10. P Harragon
  11. P Sironen
  12. B Clyde
  13. B Fittler
Just a few notes. <ul> [*]I picked Darren Lockyer at fullback because no one has really dominated that position for any length of time. There have been players like Mullins and Brasher who were at the top but Lockyer has been there as long as any of them and looks like he is there to stay. [*]ET didn't play much wing but he had to be in the side. Robinson was a stand out. [*]It was hard to pick between Connolly and Renouf but i picked Connolly because of his defence. [*]I didn't get to see Lewis at his peak for a long time. My first memory of him was in 1987 and it was all down hill from there including his coaching. Same goes for Sterlo. [*]Lazarus was an Automatic selection but i put Harragon in there because i couldn't think of anybody else. [*]Siro was another standout but i couldn't think of any other's so i bought Clyde from Lock to the Second Row. [*]Fittler fills in for Clyde.[/list] There's my best side for the Silver Jubilee or maybe just the last 15 years.

1. Lockyer
2. Ettingshausen
3. Pearl Renouf
4. Big Mal
5. Robinsun
6. Wally
7. Langer
8. Lazarus
9. Steve Walters
10. Webcke (pound for pound this man could match it with any of the pastprops including beetson, dowling, harragon and the likes)
11. Tallis
12. Clyde
13.Price

Bench

Sterling
Ridge (goalkicker)
Dowling
Connolly
Gene Miles

imported_justme

Juniors
Webcke (pound for pound this man could match it with any of the pastprops including beetson, dowling, harragon and the likes)
I take it your only a young fella, quite obvious you never saw Beetson play otherwise you would know how ridiculous that statement is. Two totally different types of prop, Webke is good but very one demensional where as Artie could actually pass a ball
emdgust.gif

ex-manager

Juniors
I'm gobsmacked! How could they overlook possibly the greatest player of the past 25 years, Ellery Hanley?

O

ozbash

i reckon i could make 4-5 world 13,s each as good as the other.

dally messenger would get a look,billy boston,keith elwell,wally prigg,lance todd,george smith to name a very few.

the names that have been put forward on some of the above posts only scratch the surface- mine included.

imported_justme

Juniors
dally messenger would get a look,billy boston,keith elwell,wally prigg,lance todd,george smith to name a very few.
Well if it was from all players then yes, I agree with you but it was your initial post we were responding to and it waslimitedto players of the last 25 years.

imported_justme

Juniors
How could they overlook possibly the greatest player of the past 25 years, Ellery Hanley?
Obviously because he wasn't the greatest.
emsad.gif