What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2007

Fairfax Eagles

Juniors
Just a general thought, with the World Cup coming up next year there appears to be a huge opportunity for us to build the game of rugby league in the US. I would imagine that coverage of the world cup would go a long way to getting people interested in the sport and helping teams like ours either get off the ground or get better. I'm not sure exactly what the league's thoughts are on this, and I'm not sure exactly what the best way to exploit the situation is. What I do know, is that if the biggest rugby league event in the world passes us by unnoticed, we will have surely missed out on an opportunity to help ourselves. I know the recent soccer world cup reached a lot of Americans who previously had no idea what the game was about. I had people asking me questions about the game, the rules, the players, etc. Even guys who had no interest in sports whatsoever were taking days off work to go see live world cup games. I know people who are huge US football fans who previously hated soccer that got caught up in the excitement of the world cup and now have an active interest in soccer. So, I guess what I'm saying is, what can we do to make the most of this opportunity? Is the AMNRL talking to Fox or anyone else about showing the games in the US? That would be a big help. I'm sure Setanta will cover some if not all of the games, so maybe there's my answer. What is the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) doing to help us build the game in the US? There has surely got to be some emphasis on them to promote the sport. Any thoughts?????

roopy

Referee
The League WC is in 2008.
The Union WC is in 2007.

Both could spark interest in the US.

I know that Rugby League in England got a huge boost in junior numbers when the English won the Union WC - because a lot of people think Rugby is Rugby.

The thing will be to have your name out there and to have programmes available for players to sign up for. No use having people interested in your product if you haven't got a product to offer.

bartman

Immortal
Unfortunately the RLIF cannot be compared to FIFA, in terms of it's clout and ability to negotiate broad ranging coverage of the event in a various countries and newer frontiers.

The successes in developing countries seem to come from the efforts and energies of people involved putting themselves and the game out there and having opportunities for people to take it up. Just waiting for the RLIF to take a lead in development might be a case of waiting a fair while... frustrating yes, but the best development works from grass roots out and up.

Fairfax Eagles

Juniors
Right you are, I got them mixed up. However, the point is still valid and I still see a great opportunity for us to prepare and market the competition and build the game in the US based on both world cups.

We are definitely working hard to ensure that we have a quality product to attract and retain local talent and an enthusiastic fan base.

Slayer Player

Juniors
Great idea, if the league can plan ahead and use the world cup(s) as a marketing tool and as a way of exposing the game it will help us all out.

ali

Bench
Fairfax Eagles said:
Right you are, I got them mixed up. However, the point is still valid and I still see a great opportunity for us to prepare and market the competition and build the game in the US based on both world cups.

We are definitely working hard to ensure that we have a quality product to attract and retain local talent and an enthusiastic fan base.

What Roopy said is right. I doubt the 2008 RL World Cup will get much publicity in the USA unless the Tomahawks qualify, and even then it will still be minimal. However, you may get some chance with the 07 Union World Cup. But even then i can't imigine you will get much opportunity. But it true's what Roopy said about the kids in England.

griff

Bench
ali said:
What Roopy said is right. I doubt the 2008 RL World Cup will get much publicity in the USA unless the Tomahawks qualify, and even then it will still be minimal. However, you may get some chance with the 07 Union World Cup. But even then i can't imigine you will get much opportunity. But it true's what Roopy said about the kids in England.

You won't get much general publicity from either one (although a little bit more from the RUWC). However what it will do is generate publicity in and around the existing rugby community in the US.

Latest posts