What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

Cold Roses

Juniors
Kidwell has basically ruled Marshall out of the World Cup. Idiocy imo

Interesting. I'd love to know what the deal was with him for his papers to get signed for 2 coaches.

Did hear at one point that Foran refused to play with him again? Can you shed any light on that?

On the plus side, TMM is developing nicely under the tutelage of a player that goes ok. And I really rate Nikorima as a bench utility. He's a pretty handy Dummy Half in his own right, and has gone ok at half for Brisbane at times this year.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Never heard anything about Foran and Marshall so can't shed any light on that. Kidwell said that they "have moved on from Benji". I'm a fan of experience in the squad and we have a World Cup winner here that could bring plenty to the squad environment who he playing good footy that won't be considered

At least we do have other options coming through though this time, that tour to England a few years back where we basically gave away a test series and wouldn't take him so Hiku and Lolohea could play in the halves was disgraceful

Realistically this time round, the guy playing 6 for the Kiwis has been worse this season than all other options

Cold Roses

Juniors
I wouldn't be upset to see TMM playing 6 outside SJ if the latter gets fit. Tbf we aren't much chance of winning now with Kidwell in charge anyway. Martin has a bit of flair about him which would take the pressure off Johnson to produce the winning sidesteps, and allow him to concentrate on becoming Andrew Johns mk 2.

I wouldn't be upset to see TMM playing 6 outside SJ if the latter gets fit. Tbf we aren't much chance of winning now with Kidwell in charge anyway. Martin has a bit of flair about him which would take the pressure off Johnson to produce the winning sidesteps, and allow him to concentrate on becoming Andrew Johns mk 2.
Nikorima has got to play in halves based on form for Bronco's

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Right...I want Kidwell to shut his mouth and let Smith do all of the talking/coaching.

Next, the team should be...

1. Fusitua - better defender than RTS and better hit ups
2. RTS - wonderful here for the Roosters.
3. Takairangi - he hasnt been playing well for the Eels but hes still better than the rest
4. Kahu - mightve done a bizzare pass for the Broncos but can set up his winger
5. Rapana - this completes NZs BEST all round back 3
6. ?
7. ?
8. Bromwich
9. Roache
10. Matulino
11. Harris
12. Mannering
13. Taumalolo

14. Nikorima
15. Tapine
16. Asofa-Solomona
17. Taupau

Cold Roses

Juniors
Nikorima has got to play in halves based on form for Bronco's

I have huge wraps on Nikorima. He's a footballer. I actually like him on the bench for Nz coming on as dummy half. I though Kidwell made a big error taking him off when he did in the Anzac test earlier this year. Nikorima had gotten our forwards onto the front foot and the big Aussie pack was looking very wary with him running at them.

Having said that, he's developed well since that English series 2 years ago and I don't think he'd let us down in the halves. Given SJ will most likely be fit to play, him and TMM with Kodi on the bench looks our best option to me though.

Right...I want Kidwell to shut his mouth and let Smith do all of the talking/coaching.

Next, the team should be...

1. Fusitua - better defender than RTS and better hit ups
2. RTS - wonderful here for the Roosters.
3. Takairangi - he hasnt been playing well for the Eels but hes still better than the rest
4. Kahu - mightve done a bizzare pass for the Broncos but can set up his winger
5. Rapana - this completes NZs BEST all round back 3
6. ?
7. ?
8. Bromwich
9. Roache
10. Matulino
11. Harris
12. Mannering
13. Taumalolo

14. Nikorima
15. Tapine
16. Asofa-Solomona
17. Taupau
That would be Kenny at 8 as nospam29 brother Jesse is not in consideration after ANZAC test.

JJ

Immortal
So Brian Smith confirmed as a technical advisor, and out of left field, Garth Brennan from the Panthers as assistant. Hopefully they can bring a bit of enthusiasm and professionalism to proceedings, and aren't backwards in letting Kidwell know where he is stuffing up.

Off topic but can I fantasise about Brennan as the Warriors Head Coach with Smith in a Phil Gould/Football Director role?

Warriorsoul

Juniors
How does the recruiting interview go for NZRL? "Oh please for the love of god, please help us. We have NO money, and our organization is a complete shambles. So, yeah, what you reckon?"

jaseg

Juniors
No!
No more unproven coaches.
Minimum successful Super League coach requirement.

I'd say NSW/QLD cup achievements in coaching are just as impressive as SL, if not slightly more so because the patterns of play for most teams are closer to the NRL.

In any case, NRL head coach experience doesn't correlate with success in NRL coaching appointments at all. If it did, someone would have signed Chris Anderson (one of the rare semi-recent 2-club premier coaches) again by now... or Folkes... (won a title, never got a chance in the NRL elsewhere)

JJ made the point about Anderson & Cleary... but I'd expand that to include messrs. Flanagan, Green, Maguire, Robinson, Bellamy and Hasler... 6 of the 7 coaches who have won all the NRL titles over the past 11 seasons - all rookies when brought in by the clubs they won with. Only Bennett breaks the pattern.

TBH I really don't like the idea of an experienced coach unless it's a genuine top level guy. Anything short of that you're not making a smart move, you're settling for something you know isn't great instead of getting the most deserving guys in the door.

I'm not wedded to the idea of Brennan either - Demetriou looks good, I personally still like the Walkers (hitting .500 right now with a bottom 3 roster and nothing - 1-2 games of Ben Hunt aside - coming down from the Broncos) and guys like Rip Taylor and Kristian Woolf know their stuff too.