What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2019 - Australia's defence

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Over a year away but with us falling behind the likes of England, India and South Africa we've got a lot of work to do.

A lot of experts reckon we need to copy England's game plan but I'm not sure of that. We don't have the same depth in our allrounders and if we do that it affects our strength which is our fast bowling.

For mine the fatman and warner stay as openers. Smith to 4, he's our most adaptable bat. Stoinis at 6/7.

Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood. All the other spots are up for grabs.

Carey for Paine. Zampa to play regularly, not dropped for one game, brought back for two then dropped again. If he's not the solution give Lyon a chance.

We've got enough time to turn it around but only just.

TheParraboy

Staff member
They usually take two keepers on world cups

You would think given some time and opportunity, Carey to fill the no1 role
At this stage out of Paine or Wade as back up ( or do we pick Handcomb or Bancroft?)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11979495

Winning percentage as 'world champions'
West Indies 1975-1979 - 75 percent
West Indies 1979-1983 - 69 percent
India 1983-1987 - 44 percent
Australia 1987-1992 - 73 percent
Pakistan 1992-1996 - 53 percent
Sri Lanka 1996-1999 - 53 percent
Australia 1999-2003 - 74 percent
Australia 2003-2007 - 70 percent
Australia 2007-2011 - 65 percent
India 2011-2015 - 60 percent
Australia 2015 - now - 49 percent

Australia's last 11 ODIs
Lost to England by 16 runs
Lost to England by four wickets
Lost to England by five wickets
Lost to India by seven wickets
Beat India by 21 runs
Lost to India by five wickets
Lost to India by 50 runs
Lost to India 26 runs
Lost to England by 40 runs
Lost to New Zealand by 24 runs
Lost to New Zealand by six runs

Still, NZ, Eng and Safrica would like a World Cup win, though.

simmo1

First Grade
Australia have always been shit at T20, and now that teams are using a very aggressive almost T20-like approch to ODI's we are being found out big time.

The team has too many 'build an innings' types. Needs more Maxwell, Short and Lynn (if he can ever stay fit).

JJ

Immortal
Still a big chance, but from selection to coaching and strategy being stupid ATM

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Australia have always been shit at T20, and now that teams are using a very aggressive almost T20-like approch to ODI's we are being found out big time.

The team has too many 'build an innings' types. Needs more Maxwell, Short and Lynn (if he can ever stay fit).

I guess Cricket Australia could always ask NZC whether they'd let an Australian team into the Super Smash to improve its T20 skill level.

The problem is getting the bowling options balanced when a team wants both players to build the cake, and dashers to ice it. Maxwell ought to have continued working on his bowling. There was a time when journalists thought it a fair question to ask him which was his stronger suit and preference. He bowled as many overs in the winter 2015 tour of UK as he has done since in far more games in ODI. Where are all the wicket keeper batsmen at? It wasn't that long ago that Ronchi could not even get a state deal in Australia. He'd go close to making the Aussie team right now. And where's the next Shane Watson, Mr Fix it, can ice a cake and steady the ship with the bat, and hold an end or attack with the ball. Marsh is leaking runs with the ball, Stoinis is a gem with the bat, but doesn't look likely to take wickets.

I do find it amusing that all the Watto haters are scratching their heads thinking its solely Maxwell missing that is causing Straya to lose recently. But that's just me :D

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
meh

there is time

Id concede we are no hope if the world cup was on next month

beware the sleeping (and wounded) giant of world cup cricket at your peril

JJ

Immortal
meh

there is time

Id concede we are no hope if the world cup was on next month

beware the sleeping (and wounded) giant of world cup cricket at your peril
There is time, but I don't see them changing too much.

I expect come World Cup the selections will be more sane, but I also expect the tactics to remain relatively conservative and dated. England (and NZ's) approach is higher risk - so you will take some beating, but always a chance that England or NZ will contribute to their own defeat. In a big game, Aust know they will perform - remains to be seen whether England or NZ can (and indeed RSA below, of course)

RSA and India are IMO the favourites - they have a nice balance, a better strategy than Aust, but more safeguards than the other two - hard to see anyone out of those 5 going close

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
RSA and India are IMO the favourites - they have a nice balance, a better strategy than Aust, but more safeguards than the other two - hard to see anyone out of those 5 going close
Having 5 teams in with a chance is great, most world cups it's been Australia and one other who looked the only teams with a chance.

I don't write off Pakistan in English conditions either, although they'r well behind the fab five.

I guess Cricket Australia could always ask NZC whether they'd let an Australian team into the Super Smash to improve its T20 skill level.

The problem is getting the bowling options balanced when a team wants both players to build the cake, and dashers to ice it. Maxwell ought to have continued working on his bowling. There was a time when journalists thought it a fair question to ask him which was his stronger suit and preference. He bowled as many overs in the winter 2015 tour of UK as he has done since in far more games in ODI. Where are all the wicket keeper batsmen at? It wasn't that long ago that Ronchi could not even get a state deal in Australia. He'd go close to making the Aussie team right now. And where's the next Shane Watson, Mr Fix it, can ice a cake and steady the ship with the bat, and hold an end or attack with the ball. Marsh is leaking runs with the ball, Stoinis is a gem with the bat, but doesn't look likely to take wickets.

I do find it amusing that all the Watto haters are scratching their heads thinking its solely Maxwell missing that is causing Straya to lose recently. But that's just me :D

NZ?

If they're gonna do that, get a team in the IPL.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NZ?

If they're gonna do that, get a team in the IPL.

The seasons don't match. And India is 3rd ranked. And a longer hike. And would probably require that you play 7 Indian players in your team.

This is a brilliant piece by Kimber detailing for where Sabermetric player comparisons is at in t20 now. He suses the current BBL as a point of reference. For most cricket fans, it just reinforces what is commonly thought with actual statistical proof.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22188880/new-vocabulary-t20

You can be damn sure that England, SA, and NZ national team coaching and selecting staff use this in their odi teams. India did too under Kumble. Don't know about now. Perth Scorchers love this stuff, even if Langer doesn't understand it. He defers to and trusts his analyst.

Last edited:
The seasons don't match. And India is 3rd ranked. And a longer hike. And would probably require that you play 7 Indian players in your team.

This is a brilliant piece by Kimber detailing for where Sabermetric player comparisons is at in t20 now. He suses the current BBL as a point of reference. For most cricket fans, it just reinforces what is commonly thought with actual statistical proof.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22188880/new-vocabulary-t20

You can be damn sure that England, SA, and NZ national team coaching and selecting staff use this in their odi teams. India did too under Kumble. Don't know about now. Perth Scorchers love this stuff, even if Langer doesn't understand it. He defers to and trusts his analyst.

This is the stuff John Buchanan put his faith in too.

No surprise, Australia were pretty much on top of the pile during his tenure.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
This is the stuff John Buchanan put his faith in too.

No surprise, Australia were pretty much on top of the pile during his tenure.

I think the data is more developed now - but yes Buchanan was initially far ahead of the rest on this stuff. Players like Warne didn't like a lot of it then as it was fairly novel (except 3 maidens in a row and the chance of a wicket in the next over sky rocketting), and players like Bevan were dropped for scoring too slow.

But post IPL era, sabermetrics analysis is far more common place as is a wider data pool being collected.

You guys weren't just on top - you would go on mass winning streaks regularly.

Last edited:
I think the data is more developed now - but yes Buchanan was initially far ahead of the rest on this stuff. Players like Warne didn't like a lot of it then as it was fairly novel (except 3 maidens in a row and the chance of a wicket in the next over sky rocketting), and players like Bevan were dropped for scoring too slow.

But post IPL era, sabermetrics analysis is far more common place as is a wider data pool being collected.

You guys weren't just on top - you would go on mass winning streaks regularly.

I don't disagree with anything u say here.

I thought Australia became quite innovative in the period 1998-2005.

Cross skilling, fielding and data analysis. Also helped we probably had two generations of better than good to great players that we put in either Tests and/or ODIs. A bloke like Hussey couldn't even get a look in. The Cricket Academy also produced and nurtured talent, Shirld was strong plus Australia went mostly pro top down from 1995/96.

CA reap what they sow now.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't disagree with anything u say here.

I thought Australia became quite innovative in the period 1998-2005.

Cross skilling, fielding and data analysis. Also helped we probably had two generations of better than good to great players that we put in either Tests and/or ODIs. A bloke like Hussey couldn't even get a look in. The Cricket Academy also produced and nurtured talent, Shirld was strong plus Australia went mostly pro top down from 1995/96.

CA reap what they sow now.

While NZ enjoys a sustained purple patch under Mike Hesson.

And guess who placed Mike Hesson, a guy without even FC playing experience, NZ coach?

Yups, John Buchanan :)

I do believe that Paul Vautin could've coached the Australian cricket team in Buchanon's era and they'd still have been around if not the best team in the world. But not as winning as they were.

Buchanan wasn't popular in NZ when he came in and made a lot of changes. But our domestic setup is pretty damn solid now, which given the comparatively low wages, is quite a feat. Ironically it was when he quit, that NZC really started to take off, but I think his structural and views to selection changes have helped. That said, Munro has still only played 1 test. NZC were below Bangladesh in ODI's and 8th in tests and t20.

Last edited:

Latest posts