What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup and Sharks Premiership Dream

fizman

Bench
World Cup and Sharks premiership the dream

By Melissa Woods
Wednesday, November 19, 2003 Print this article
Email to a friend

Two things would complete Mat Rogers' football career.

Winning the Rugby World Cup, and winning a National Rugby League premiership with Cronulla.

While the first is in his sights on Saturday when the Wallabies do battle with England, Rogers hasn't entirely given up on the second.

He said today that he hadn't ruled out returning to his beloved Sharks, although one sticking point could be his father Steve, who is the general manager there.

Rogers senior told him he would be "beyond it" when his rugby union contract expired in a year's time, but told Wallabies winger, fellow league convert Lote Tuqiri, who's only 24, he'd be happy to talk to him.

advertisement - story continues below

"It would be great to go back and win the comp - that would complete my career to be quite honest," said Rogers, who left Cronulla at the end of the 2001 season.

"I don't think I'd go back but I'd never say never.

"I live at Cronulla and I always have people coming up to me saying come back to Cronulla, and I'm like, 'This is pretty good what I'm doing'.

"It would take a lot to get me back to Cronulla."

Rogers and winger Wendell Sailor have already won a rugby league World Cup in 2000.

He buried that medal with his mother Carol, who passed away with cancer.

The 27-year-old said he had drawn on his experience from playing in the league tournament to prepare for Saturday's final.

"Building up for that final was the biggest week of my life.

"That was huge, it was the World Cup final and as far as a rugby league player is concerned, that's the biggest game you play.

"I think it's an experience that's helped me, to experience big moments in your career, you prove you can respond to pressure."

Rogers doesn't have fond memories of his last meeting with England, when he was bent in half in a tackle by Josh Lewsey.

He said he owed the utility back for ending his surfing career because of the rib damage.

"I've copped a few good ones, but that was up there - it was a great tackle.

"It's ended my surfing career. It was an old injury, but he flared it up. Now when all the boys go surfing, I have to go swimming."

While winning the World Cup was the goal when Rogers made the decision to switch, he said he felt his transition as a rugby player was already complete.

But beating England would be sweet.

"I don't need to go out and win a game to prove anything, said the fullback, who had his best performance of the tournament in Australia's semi-final win over New Zealand.

"It would be great to beat England and to win a World Cup, but at this stage, I'm pretty happy with the success I've had personally with the Wallabies."

I read that as meaning that he'd be in it if the dollars were right. Fine attacking weapon that he is, in 2005 he is going to be 29 and may be getting on a little. He could be a possible replacement for Peach, who will be 31 in 2005, but you'd think there would be better value going for someone younger and who isn't going to cost us a sizeable chunk of our salary cap.

I know that there has been a lot of RWC focus on Sailor and Rogers, but personally I think Tuqiri has been the best performed of the league converts. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the Sharks colours.

bull shark

Juniors
I think that at the moment the dollars are the thing. But maybe in 2 years' time may not be so important. I certainly get the feeling tho' that if he came back to league it would only be at Cronulla.

29 isn't that old anyway - if a guy's got no injuries he can go easily go into his thirties - it's just that at that age the injuries do tend to come.

He'd be a welcome return - not least for his kicking ability

Rogers would be worth $350,000 a year if he came back and this gives me a glimmer of hope, my dream is that he comes back.

Not happy with Sludge for telling him he'll be beyond it!

We can wait and see, I wish Mat's contract was up after the RWC.

Mat is a Cronulla blue blood and I hope "son of God" comes back one day, even if it is just his swansong.

beerboy

Juniors
oh yeah baby!!!
im fired up now
the tiny glimmer off hope that my fave player in both codes may be coming back
now i want the Wallabies to win twice as bad as before, so he'll be back here sooner :D

Special K

Coach
Peach would be on a bit and his contract ends next year as does rats. We still have a lot of room to move under the cap(see what we offered Devere) and then add to that Peachey leaving we could get rat.

God I would love to see it happen so badly. But I dunno. But face it he isn't going to say in the week before the World Cup his gonna piss off back to league now is he? What he said is good news and I hope sludge sits down and has a chat with him and we get him again. God I miss Rat playing for us.

Plus if his 29 so what? How old with Vagana be next year? ;-) Plus we could always move Rat around if he became too slow for the wing. To the centers, fullback or even the spot he wants - 5/8.

And didn't Tuqiri want to play under Opes last year or something? Tuqiri wouldn't play against the broncos, that is why he left to Rar Rar and took the big bucks IMO.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Tuqiri will be a bronco again & I think maybe even Wendell.
I know the Broncs are chasing all three with the hope of getting at least one.
tuqiri would be on a monster pay pack. Beyond the Sharks.

El Coconuto

Bench
A Brett Kimmorley/Mat Rogers halves combination looks better on paper than I think it would on the field. If he is in fact asking for a lot of money, than it could be better spent elsewhere...

Special K

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
Tuqiri will be a bronco again & I think maybe even Wendell.
I know the Broncs are chasing all three with the hope of getting at least one.
tuqiri would be on a monster pay pack. Beyond the Sharks.
Wendall resigned didn't he? Or was that just with the reds?

I always thought he would be back as he is a average rugby player and only has his spot in the team because of his name and he has said many times how much he misses s.o.o

Quint

Juniors
Dead set you people live in the past!
Screw him,we don't need him,sure he was the quintesential sharkie years ago but at $350k(if that is what he would fetch) we could do better.
While we're at it lets bring back ET or Gavin Miller!
You people are the reason why we are where we are ,sentimental Bullsh!t.
He's gone, get over it,look to the future at the young guys and the up and comers.
Just my opinion ;-)

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
man your an angry cat!
That would have been the grooviest post man if you just lay off on the anger!
Far out, know one here lives in the past.

Quint

Juniors
Ok ,Deep breath....
I was a tad angry, I like Matty, and I was a bit over the top but i do mean what I said.
Sorry to focus on peoples hopes,every one needs them :lol:
But Matty ain't the way,he's made his choice and is living his dream and I am way too happy for him,we have ateam next year that could go throught the comp like a curry through an eskimo and win the premiership,lets focus on that.
Cheers ;-)

Special K

Coach
How is signing a 29 year old living in the past? Peachey is what 30 next year? I don't see anyone wanting him to be moved over.

Rat is better than what we have right now so if we could get a awesome player like him back then it would be great. He could be very helpful in winning a comp.

Quint

Juniors
Age has nothing to do with it.
I was just saying that he is an EX Sharkie( A great one at that) and we need to move on not hope in vain for the great players of the past to return to help us out.
Plus it is a slap in the face to the players who nearlly got us there in 2002 and the players that will get us there in 2004.

beerboy

Juniors
"It would be great to go back and win the comp - that would complete my career to be quite honest," said Rogers

ok that quote isnt for living in the past Schooie, thats something for the future

Maybe u should lay of the New and have a VB :D

beerboy

Juniors
i dont know if u've been watching the RWC at all or any Rugby this year, but Mat has been (besides a few handling errors) one of the most dangerous players in the world and still has plently of speed. Any team would kill for that swerve

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So what happens if the unthinkable happens and England win????
He keeps getting cold's with 5 touches per match?
5 years minimum before he comes back? Sludge would have a point then.

Morpheus

Juniors
I remember that Brett Dallas was seriously thought of only recently was he not ?

I also remember Brett Mullins having a good part in the Roosters win last season at a good age.

Perhaps if Rogers were ever to return it would be at Fly half as someone said or at Fullback.

Latest posts