What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Final: Aussies V. Sri Lanka

TheParraboy

Staff member
The 2 best sides of the tournament have made it :cool:

If the Barbados pitch plays with pace and bounce as it has in a couple of other games, and as predicted by many that it would, then I doubt SL have much chance of winning this. They havent played on this deck, and their batsman wont be able to score the runs IMO.

Either way hoping for a good game

Australia has done it far to easy in all its games, they are due to fall, but that may happen in the prestigious chappell hadlee trophy later in the year ;-)

JJ

Immortal
I guess if Aust don't win, it'll be a comparable shock to India beating the Windies... but not as big a shock, because the Sri Lankans are a very good side.

The last game was without 30 overs from Malinga, Vaas and Murali. Fernando is a big worry for them, but so is tait for Aust, so we'll see

Tom Shines

First Grade
Only game that Australia has played that I am worried about winning. With the form that Hayden, Ponting, McGrath, Tait, Hogg, Bracken, Jayasuria, Jayawardene, Murali, and Malinga are in, it will be one cracker of a match.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't think their (SL) batsmen did enough in our last encounter

Even with a full strength bowling attack, I cant see them defending 220

It wasn't long ago we couldn't get anymore than a couple of wickets against the kiwis ands the poms, now we seem to be bowling every team out.

I think both our bowling and our batting are firing atm, and I really dont think that we can play any better than we are currently.

IanG

Coach
Well it's the same fixture as 1996. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Also thank goodness the Final is on a Saturday

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
At last a contest. Was worried the Kiwis might make it.

The chokers are gorn.

Well at least the coward will show up to take his beating.

If we can get Jayasuriya cheaply it will be an easy victory, if he gets a few, a challenge it will be.

Time for a Gilly special.

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
I think both our bowling and our batting are firing atm, and I really dont think that we can play any better than we are currently.

That's the key really, this is a very different team to a couple of months back.

All about peaking at the right time, and that's something that NZ, RSA, and England couldn't manage despite some impressive form earlier in the season.

Sri Lanka deserve to be there, and have some chance. But on form in this tournament they'll be beaten up on pretty badly.

Tom Shines

First Grade
JJ said:
That's the key really, this is a very different team to a couple of months back.
Not really — very similar personnel.
One glaring difference is Brett Lee... what happens to his spot when he regains fitness? I she under pressure? I think he will be very lucky to be selected for the first test v Sri Lanka.

JJ

Immortal
Wheelsy said:
Not really — very similar personnel.

I know that, I wasn't being that literal. The way they are playing is quite different.

Lee will be fine, because Shaun Tait is sh*t.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to a good game and hopefully not the one sided games we've seen recently.

In my opinion, the SLs depend on thier top 4 batsmen where as we bat right down to Sunshine Boy who is in form.

Our bowling is our strenght atm, sh*t even Tait and Sunshine are getting wickets, but SL have Malinga, Murali and Vaas all in form.

For me it comes down to how thier batsmen perform against our bowlers who are hot atm.

I am hoping for the Aussies in a close game, but I'll take us in a walkover as well :D.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tait and Lee will both play in the future. Tait replaces Hogg as there is no clear spinner domestically and Clarke and Symonds can bowl spin. Hilfenhaus replaces Pigeon.

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Mahroof is playing JJ!:lol:

If the teams have been named, then post them rather than being a merkin...

maharoof did not play in the semi, Fernando did. Cricinfo doesn't have Sri Lanka's team for the final, do you have a hotline to Tom Moody? Gimp

lockyno1

Post Whore
It is on my phone-telstra Bigpond cricket news. Jayawardena said "we were not happy with Dihara". Read between the lines JJ..Mahroof will play!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well Locky I am glad you have come out of the closet.

It is all about Shane's hair. Very wittyfan like comment. The fantasy you have with Shane became all to clear when you starting talking about his hair style.

It is OK to be gay locky, good for you in coming out.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Nice to see you have humour that is all I will say Angry! Watson did his bit last night but he didn't really ahve to do much as Tait and Pigeon killed SA.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Malinga/Vaas v Hayden/Gilly/Ponting is what I am most looking forward to. Especially Malinga, and especially Hayden and Ponting. The SL opening bowlers SHOULD, finally, pose a challenge to the Aussie top order. If Malinga bowls like he did against NZ then I'm really hoping he can get rid of Hayden and perhaps Ponting cheaply.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So you want to see Sri Lanka win?

I suppose for me anyone but RSA are you anybody but AUS?

JJ

Immortal
In the normal course of events, I'd like to see Aust win.

In this case I'd like to see a competitive game - I don't really care who wins. Ideally Ponting and Hayden will fail, and Tait will be slaughtered - but beyond that - meh, who gives a sh*t

Three world cups in a row would be a special acheivement, one the great Windies teams (IMO better than this Aust team) stumbled at the final hurdle on.

Latest posts