What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Footy Show

Nook

Bench
Jesus wept, we've even got to have a Footy Show whinge thread on Monday mornings now?

How sad, this bunch of masochists that can't bring themselves to stop watching the thing after what, ten years? But then feel the need to whinge about it every week?

Last nights show was a bit of stupid fun before a world cup soccer game. Who gives a f**k if the AFL guys got more air time - it was about soccer, for God's sake. It served its purpose - a bit of nonsense telly for everyone who was waiting up for the game to start. Still by the sounds of it there are a hell of a lot of people around who need to invest in functioning remote controlls.

Slappy

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Good on Sam for punching that clown. Sure, Sam is not the most endearing TV personality, but no one should be spat at.
Nice left jab.
As for the show itself...fell asleep after the 1st song which was a complete and utter mime.
Nothing worst than a bunch of bandwaggoners..esp named McGuire, Newman, Warne, Vautin, Johns, Fitzsimmons, and Marmelaide.

Well spotted Saab!
I've got nothing against Simple Minds, actually they were a great band, but that was a shockingly blatant mime job. That was actually the 'single' that they were playing, not even some recorded live version.

Loved to have seen the Newman debacle. Sounds like he was justified in hitting the scumbag, but if there is any bastard out there that does deserve to be spat on, then the merkin Newman is him!!!

Green Machine

First Grade
It was on the TV at a pub I was at last night. The sound was down. I looked up once a saw a fat dork who was doing a nude run across a park. Who was that?

Mr Saab

Referee
Billy Brownless and Gary Lyon doing an unfunny skit where Billy "ran" thru a nudist park.

sooperdooper

First Grade
bigdogsgottaeat said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting behind OUR country. I think its fantastic that we've shown such great support.

My problem with it is that I hardly think people like Sam Newman and Fatty Vautin are qualified really to talk about a sport they clearly know f**k all about. I'm sure that the vast majority of the panel last night would not even know half the rules.

I think the show would've carried more weight if it actually included some soccer personalities (except for brief moments with Vidmar - wow he was exciting - & Frank Farina). I mean seriously, what was with the guy from Without a Trace? The connection Eddie tried to make was weak at best ("Hollwood FC"? WTF?)

The honest truth is that Eddie came up with a way to cash-in on a sport that the commercial networks have traditionally never given a sh*t about. Now that its become popular, Eddie "jumps on the bandwagon" to make money.

well everything does revolve around money and i think what eddie did was great!
btw Sam Newman and fatty and co can comment on anything they want. Only because they are not experts does not mean they can not voice there opinions.....

Green Machine

First Grade
You’d think if that if you were going to a segment with a fat former Australian Rules player exposing himself in a public place, they would have brought in a professional like Rex Hunt!

Sir Biffo

Bench
How clearly hungover was Matt Johns when he did that segment where he went to the various meat shops and stuff! He sounded like he had been drinking bourbon the whole night before then dropped a match down his throat!

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
well everything does revolve around money and i think what eddie did was great!
btw Sam Newman and fatty and co can comment on anything they want. Only because they are not experts does not mean they can not voice there opinions.....

I think what he did was fine also - I just think it could've been done a lot better. i.e. without Sam Newman!

LESStar58

Referee
Tensions rose from catcalls such as "Get off the bandwagon" to the confrontation that ended with Lyon ushering Newman from the beer hall

Don't make me laugh!

Look, its all well and good that Australia are in the cup. I have been following them and hope they do well but once it's all over nobody is going to care about the game in Australia.

Everyone is on the bandwagon.

But his close friend Adrian Sanchez Vallejo said Newman snapped after "failing to accept or respect the views of the Australian people".

How so? Details of what Sam said would have to emerge before I cast judgement on him!

The whole crowd seemed to warm to EVERYONE there and the gys seemed to be oblidging and forthcoming when signing autographs and posing for photos.

Good on Sam for punching that clown.

BTW, i do not condone that idiot who was biffed by Newman, he deserved a much harder hit than what he got...germ.

Indeed! Name one person that wouldn't take offense to such a gutless act! If it had been me copping the loogie I wouldn't have given him one on the chin...I'd be looking to put him to sleep!

Bottom line, the bloke wouldn't have the balls to punch Sam!

"The punch he threw was a cheap shot, it drew blood."

Aside from a king hit, NOTHING is more a cheap shot that being spat at!

Sure, Sam is not the most endearing TV personality, but no one should be spat at.

Exactly. Sam is a twit but and I don't have much time for him butdoesn't deserve to be spat on. The bloke, to his credit, took it fairly well!

Sam Newman said:
"Do you believe it? It was somebody's uncomplicated way of just getting my attention and my uncomplicated way of just reciprocating.

video of the incident...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19515105^2862,00.html#

ucantseeme

Juniors
the show was okay, although i turned off when they started going thru the team line up

it was a bit annoying the way the sheep in the audience kept carrying on

considering the reception Shane Warne got i reckon alot of the aussies in the audience were ex-pats living in the uk

Tidus_Raider

Bench
What was the story between Warne and Newman? They looked tense all night and at one stage Newman was out of his seat leaning over Warney.

They looked like they were going to knock each other out.

Inferno

Coach
Sam Newmans a prick and probably did jump on the bandwagon, but if someone spat on me, they could expect a swift jab to the face as well.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Stupid 9 and the AFL should've just let the NRL do it, at least they get people from other sports on their show.

They get the Soccer players on all the time, they know the players.:x

The AFL should've done their own and RL should've done theirs.

It was crap, as soon as Eddie started with it, I knew everyone would be ignored bar the Vic's and AFL hosts, they knew nothing about the game, they only know one Language and that's sex.:oops:

I felt embarrassed by them.

I don't like Peter Fitzsimons, but the bloke more or less was ignored, I bet he's glad he was too, because I wouldn't want anything to do with the mentality that comes across from the AFL.

As someone else said earlier, everyone who watched it seen for themselves what they are like.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Haven't watched the footy show (thursday night edition) for at least 4 years. Watched last night's show and thought it was one of the best footy shows I have ever seen to be honest with you.

I thought fatty was going to crack it though when he hardly got his melon on TV but it was a well thought out show.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Not sure if this has been mentioned this yet, but did anyone notice the atrocious miming done by Simple Minds when they were doing " Don't You Forget About Me" #-o

redVgirl

Juniors
theres such a difference between the AFL and NRL footy shows. i mean yeh the NRL one has toilet humour and what not, but basically i think the vibe is still nice and friendly while still being funny. i find the AFL one to be seriously creepy and just....yech. sam newman is so utterly sexist. i think as a woman i would feel degraded just being in the same room with him.

HOWEVER i would say 90% of socceroo fans are total bandwagon jumpers. no one cared about soccer when we were crap did they.

Parraren

Bench
Hutty1986 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned this yet, but did anyone notice the atrocious miming done by Simple Minds when they were doing " Don't You Forget About Me" #-o

:lol: That was easily the worst "live" performance I have ever witnessed from a band. It was embarrasing. It was so bad, towards the end of the song the singer was just holding the mike up in the air while the vocals kept going :lol: The guitarists pretending to play live was pretty pathetic as well.

I'm sure if 99% of the crowd wasn't so pissed off their dials they would have got booed off the stage. It was horendous.

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraEelsNRL said:
I don't like Peter Fitzsimons, but the bloke more or less was ignored, I bet he's glad he was too, because I wouldn't want anything to do with the mentality that comes across from the AFL.

He is a rah rah.

Latest posts