What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Qualifing

In-goal

Bench
Much debate has raged over these pages as to how the WC finals should be run, so i'm setting up a new topic for discussion of the qualifing tournaments that we think should be put in place to make sure that the best teams get there.

I for one am a fan of breaking nations up into regions as it makes it more affordable as well as giving smaller countries more time for international football.

During 2008 i think that SOO should move to weekends, on these weekends the rest of the world will take place in WC qualifiers. I would also like other times put aside in the year were teams can fulfill all the matches in order to qualify.

i.e.
Weekend of SOO1
QLD vs NSW (aus)
Russia v Serbia (rus)
England v Wales (eng)
Samoa v P.N.G (sma)

This way it gives everyone something to achieve as well as freeing up all the proffesional players to play in meaningful internationals, i would advise that the Rugby Super League take time off over these weekends in order to allow players to get to there respective countries.

Possible pools or qualifing groups could be:
South Pacific
Africa and Medeterainian
Europe and UK
Americas and Asia

I think that the champions and hosts should be the only dirrect qualifier so we can have more teams competing for more places.

Any other ideas?

screeny

Bench
You're dead right about regions....to be honest that's the only sensible way you have of playing qualifiers for a WC - anything else just doesn't make much sense!

I think we have an excellent opportunity here, we have all these regional comps springing up, the ENC, the Med Cup (when is that by the way, I've still heard nowt about it) and the Pac Cup to name three major ones.

If we can run them annually we can run WC qualifying around them, surely?

paulmac

Juniors
heres how the qualifiers should look.
OCEANIA - 6 Qualify.Aus and NZ hosts plus four from Fiji,Tonga,Samoa,PNG,Cook Is,New Caledonia.Two groups of 3 with top two in each advancing.
EUROPE - 4 Qualifiers from GB,France,Ireland,Russia,Serbia,Holland.two groups of 3 with top two in each advancing.
ASIA - 1 Qualifier from Lebanon,Japan,Singapore.1 group of 3 winner gets thru.
AFRICA & AMERICAS - 1 Qualifier Winner of African Cup(S Africa v Morrocco) v Winner of Americas Cup(USA,Canada,Argentina,Jamaica)

After all that a 12 nation World Cup most likely featuring Aus,NZ,PNG,Fiji,Samoa
Tonga,GB,France,Ireland,Russia,USA and Lebanon.

dimitri

First Grade
i like the idea of regional qualifying tournaments

eg

asia
europe
pacific
etc

paulmac

Juniors
I think it is vital that Russia play in the next World Cup and Lebanons involvement would be a crowd puller and with the way i have drawn them you wold fancy both to qualify.

dimitri

First Grade
lebanon with their professionals are a good side

and id love to see the crowds at their games

carlnz

Bench
GB have to play a part, Wales, Ireland and Scotland are getting stronger now, look what England A did to Aussie last year....

Then some of you will go on about the Wales vs Aussie match, well they dont have the player base as the aussie, and they were missing their "star" players...well their best players

I say we wait untill the month before the competition starts.

Call up any Aussie thats avalible for other sides....chuck them in there with no games having been played.....see what happens then scrap the World Cup when officails cant work out why people were turned off by 13 old Aussies being crushed by the current Kangaroo's side.

Or have I just become twisted and bitter after years of p*ss poor managment of international competition?

I swear if I hear anyone say "We're in the black before a ball has even been kicked off" this time around I will kill someone.

dimitri

First Grade
we need a proper rlif to get this right this time
start organising

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

dimitri said:
start organising

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just not going to happen.

Its sad to say, but thats the truth of the matter.

The IRLF has ZERO power.

girvie

Staff member
I think that quarter finalists from the previous world cup should automatically qualify. These would be Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Ireland, England, France, and Wales.

Then go into regional qualification
Oceania- Fiji, Tonga, Cook Islands, New Caledonia
Europe- Scotland, Russia, Netherlands, Greece, Italy, Malta, Serbia
Asia- Lebanon, Japan, Singapore
Africa- South Africa, Morocco
Americas- West Indies, United States

From there:
Oceania- two qualifiers
Europe- three qualifiers
Asia- one qualifier
Americas- one qualifier
Then the third teams from Oceania and the first team from Africa playoff for the sixteenth position.

This would leave 16 teams probably being:
Australia
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Samoa
Fiji
Tonga
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Russia
Italy
Lebanon
West Indies
Cook Islands/South Africa

Big Bunny

Juniors
nospam49 said:
dimitri said:
start organising

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just not going to happen.

Its sad to say, but thats the truth of the matter.

The IRLF has ZERO power.

Prey tell, what could you possibly know about the RLIF apart from what people here tell you? Your statement is a contradition in itself.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Ignore button or not, you couldn't resist reading what I have said if your miserable life depended on it. You envy me. :lol: :D

What's important is that others see what an imbecile nospam49 is. It doesn't matter one iota if he knows as well.

The sooner that you start ignoring what I have said and allow me to address all of your stupidity without distraction, the better. :lol:

You know...she searched the intenet for that picture.

Saved it.

Changed it.

Uploaded it somehwere.

Logged into LU.

Posted it...

Alot of trouble to go to for someone that you dont care about isnt it! :lol:

Latest posts