What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Schedule Leak

Last Week

Bench
You know what would have been interesting, if Lebanon vs France was the last pool game as that game would determine which team would make the quarter finals. That would pull a few more fans in to the SFS.

jim_57

Staff member
Hope there's some method to this apparent madness.. some of those venues have severely undersold the product.

See some of these games being really hard sells.. now that it's done though they should be aiming to sell out all of the following:

ALL Finals
ALL Australia (30k+ SFS), NZ & PNG pool games.
Perth, Townsville & Cairns double headers.
Tonga V Samoa

Some of these are infuriating and honestly defy belief, Australia likely playing a quarter in Darwin, Brisbane getting semi and final, AAMI & not Etihad, Cairns & Townsville getting 3 games, SFS, no regional NSW or Western Sydney.. and the worst of all IMO is Mt Smart Stadium instead of Eden Park.. FFS.

Last edited:

PaulyTom

Juniors
I think they have done a good job. I'm a definite for at least 3 games including the final.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont understand what all this misery is about. The stadium choices all looks pretty good...

Im surprised Newcastle and Wollongong didnt get any, but thats about it.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Opening game will start the tournament off great, a full house in a great stadium in a superb spring in Melbourne. Melbourne will be a buzz with race fever too.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I can understand the sentiment but there are better ways...

The "middle year" in the WC cycle should have a major event, but a World9s or something similar would be a far better choice.

And a World9s could be taken to far more ambitious places given it would only be over 1/2 weekends rather than 5 and in only 1 location rather than 15. We could take it to Vegas or Johannesburg or what ever the capital or Saudi Arabia is.

I like the commitment to the International game, but we need a format that can push the games traditional boundaries and take the game to new places...

Edit: he does have a point about the arbitrary 4 year cycle. I dont think a WC could be played any more often than that, but if the World9s took off it could be worth having one every non-WC year

PaulyTom

Juniors
I like the idea of a 9s world cup every 4 years. 16 countries battle it out for 9s supremecy.

Possible Destination-
Hong Kong
Dubai
Sydney
London
Melbourne
Perth
Las Vegas
Brisbane

Latest posts