What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

world sevens - boring waste of time

millersnose

Post Whore
i hate the world sevens

it isnt rugby league

it is all chips and no steak

i cant remember who but one of the st george (stars) suffered an extensive injury from this "event" last year

ban this stupid fluff i say

SaintTPP

First Grade
'i cant remember who but one of the st george (stars) suffered an extensive injury from this "event" last year'

It was Trent Barrett and yes I agree it is a piss-weak comp, thats why I am happy that Browny only has Blacklock in the team from FG, the rest are youngsters from Premier League.

millersnose said:
hang on guys

you are not supposed to agree

argue FFS

OK.

It may not compare to the main season. But it's still a chance to see the players go around. A "lite" version of the game is a good intro for those who aren't regularly exposed to the great game. (I'll admit that by holding it in Sydney and sticking it away on Fox except for the final, we're not getting the benefit out of that aspect).

Finally, it's good to get some competitive aspect in as part of the pre-season training and build up.

millersnose

Post Whore
and the risk of injury?

and the fact that some clubs are obviously not risking their stars?

its a farce

coolumsharkie

Referee
I'm so starved of footy I'll watch my kids playin in the backyard!!!!!!!......I would like more media coverage for this event....dont think fox sports is covering any of it!!....and as usual channel nine is giving us 1 lame hour of it :roll:

So there you go millersnose,I disagree

In practice I agree with you, millers. IF it were to be used to promote the game to new audiences, and if all clubs were forced to take it seriously, a sevens comp would be a really worthwhile part of the calendar. But it isn't done properly, so it's a farce.

But you wanted an argument. :lol:

I'd be looking at the pre-season cup that the AFL has, where they get around to places that don't see many games (Darwin, NQ etc). Again, it's not the real thing ("chips and no steak", although it's not as different to the regular game as sevens is) and some fringe players will get a run who otherwise wouldn't. But they use it cleverly to build the support base.

millersnose

Post Whore
lol

AFL is all chips and no steak anyway

and no salt or vineger on the chips

(im starting to get hungry)

millersnose said:
lol

AFL is all chips and no steak anyway

and no salt or vineger on the chips

(im starting to get hungry)

LOL, you Aussies are so one-eyed. Go the Sharks and Come on the Swannies! :lol:

Bring on lunch time!

Alan Shore

First Grade
Obviously millers you don't understand the importance of the World Sevens as an important international development tool. 7-aside is great entertainment and so what if teams send second string sides - last year Souths and Manly sent fourth-string sides to the Telstra Premiership :lol:

My proposal is for the World Sevens to be a world club event with the NRL & ESL clubs all in, along with one qualifier from the Russian/French/Lebanese competition joining in. Then we could bring back the International Nines as a true international comp.

Anonymous

Juniors
I love the 7s. Teams like Russia and PNG make it all worthwhile. Seeing a stumpy little Russian winger - who could pass as a front rower in any other team - loping slowly down the sideline for a try is worth all the money in the world.

millersnose

Post Whore
El Garbo said:
seeing a stumpy little Russian winger - who could pass as a front rower in any other team - loping slowly down the sideline for a try is worth all the money in the world.
gee dont forget to make use of hyperbole Z

bazza

Referee
millersnose

You are just bitter that the sharkies are pooled with Parramatta and so have no chance in progressing in the tournament

millersnose

Post Whore
bazza said:
millersnose

You are just bitter that the sharkies are pooled with Parramatta and so have no chance in progressing in the tournament

well dinky di bazza

the less games the sharks play the less the risk of serious injuries

have parra picked a proper squad or a few reserve graders like everyone else?

bazza

Referee
millersnose said:
bazza said:
millersnose

well dinky di bazza

the less games the sharks play the less the risk of serious injuries

have parra picked a proper squad or a few reserve graders like everyone else?

Parramatta hasn't named there squad yet.

Since the sharkies rely on Kimmorly a lot and Peachy is injury prone - perhaps they should rest these two until the Sharks make the grand final. That way they won't be wasted in fixtures that are a waste of time

Thresher

Juniors
I don't think much of the sevens because I can't really get there & channel Nine wont show it, apart from that pissie highlights show. :roll: