What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World title

mackdadday

Juniors
lesnar vs reigns with seth cash in to win title.
ceasro/kidd vs usos
HHH vs Sting with both of them having allies
Taker v Wyatt casket match though id like to see taker go out with a win
Ambrose vs Rollins early in the night so rollins can come back to cash in on new champ reigns (perhaps with some help from ambrose in a twist)
BNB vs Ziggler vs Harper for the intercontinental title
Rusev vs Bo Dallas (because i love Bo and i think he and Rusev could work a hilarious program)
Miz vs Mizdow
Womens title meh Paige is the only decent player in that division now. Would love to see Charlottle stepped up for this. Nikki v paige v charlottle v Natalya

Hoggmaster

Juniors
Anyone who ends up being "the next ..." is destined to fail (Little Petey Pump, The Edgeheads, every single person who has been called the future Nature Boy by Ric Flair...). Let him be Seth Rollins, if they can get him to bring out some more of his AOTF style (threatening to break Edge's neck was a good start) then that is when I think he will hit the main event.

I found this interesting. Most of all because the case in point you gave, Ric Flair, wasnt actually the first Nature Boy. Nature Boy Buddy Rogers was winding down his career and Jim Crockett needed a new star. Ric Flair was chosen and to inspire a feud between the 2 Flair came out and started calling himself Nature Boy.
Flair won the feud and taking someone elses gimmick certainly worked out for him.

I do agree though that WWE are horrible for it though. Whether it was David Sammartino, the New Blackjacks, or Curtis Axel they just dont get how to do it. You cant just throw a legendary gimmick at someone and leave it at that. A gimmick should highlight a persons natural strengths and push them to the next level. If you want to recycle an old gimmick fine, but the person doing it needs to be shown as being better than the original or else he'll always be thought of as a rip off.

Ric Flair, Nikita Koloff, Demolition, Hulk Hogan, Jerry Lawler, the Road Warriors, the Fabulous Ones, Big Show, Scott Steiner, The Rockers, etc. all became stars using huge parts of other peoples gimmicks, calling themselves 'the new....', or just stealing someone elses gimmicks. They did it well though because they were allowed to take the role and take it in their own directions. Something current stars are never allowed to do as they being over-scripted or shoe horned into gimmicks that dont suit them.

Fair point, but the Nature Boy gimmick as you said was given to Flair, and Flair wasn't exactly a nobody at that time. Everyone who was "passed the torch" by Flair (David Flair, Jeff Jarrett, AJ Styles, The Miz, etc) has floundered as a result. Having them slap on a Figure Four doesn't make them the next big thing.

I think someone like Randy Orton is probably a good example to use. They pushed his background big time, but they didn't put him in a country hat or wear a cast. They let Randy be Randy (aka a bit of a self absorbed dick) and he got over. John Cena is into hip hop culture, and that helped him get over (looking back, god he looked destined to be beloved by everyone. Then "creative" stepped in...).

More often than not in today's environment, the more people can see someone as authentic, the more likely they are to believe in the person and support them. This is at odds with creative (read: Vince McMahon) who wants to go back to the way he booked wrestling in the late 80's + early 90's.

afinalsin666

First Grade
that worked so well for Wyatt last year.

also Sheamus is rumored to be doing a heel run for wrestlemania. if they go for Sheamus/bryan like what was rumored a month ago I might break something

There's an idea for Cena, give him the Celtiuc Warrior. Shit, Sheamus and Cena would tear the house down imo. Give them a good 20 minutes, it would be a sick match. Two incredibly underrated wrestlers just slugging it out.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cena's problem is also his greatest strength.

He's so adored by kids that he can basically never be any edgier than he is, and he'll never be a heel. It means he can keep granting wishes and selling merchandise, but nobody over the age of about ten can stomach his character anymore.

At this stage, I'd really only pay to watch him fight a bear or a cape buffalo.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I detest Cena in storylines, and he is woefully booked in most matches to be a f**king superman, but once he can let loose the shackles, he gives us Cena v Punk on the raw before Mania 29. I want to like him, it's just every time there is a reason it's quickly thrown in my face.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Surprised you didn't push for a triple threat with Mark Henry...

I'm sad, but Mark Henry seems past it for singles competition, outside of a minor mid card program. I think he is best suited this mania for the Andre Battle Royal, then to move into the tag team division. Or book him like the Stone Pitbull and watch the money pour in.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I agree that it's ridiculous the way they over-promote Cena. Everyone seems to love Bryan as a face and Rollins as a heel.

redvscotty

First Grade
It's not ridiculous to 'over-book' Cena, he makes them millions. It is definately over bearing, eye rolling stuff though.

As said above, if you're under 10, you love him, if you're over 10, despise him.

My son loves him, he's 7. I let him get away with it only because he likes Bo Dallas too.

Cena's best match this year was with Cesaro (who was also in another great match with Zayn, amongst others) and what happens? Rather than capitalise on it and give Cesaro a decent push, he's at the back end of 2014 'doing a ziggler' and losing to everyone. Now they put him with Kidd, in what could be a promising tag team, and have them losing to the likes of The New Day (also horribly booked).

That's the real problem with the Cena machine, whether it's direct or indirect, everyone else is pushed aside for his own storylines. I swear out of the 30 writers, there would be 29 for Cena and 1 for everyone else.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I detest that kids argument. Kids would love him no matter what he did. He is already an idol. They still loved him when he betrayed his friends by not helping them out leading into survivor series, they still loved him when he destroyed the Wyatt family after wrestlemania, they loved him when he stole Zack Ryder's girlfriend in 2012 then completely ignored him as he was annihilated by kane, they still love the guy no matter what bullshit happens.

Look at Stone Cold for a parallel. More kids loved Stone Cold than Cena ever has. They followed him through everything, and cheered hard. Then when he turned heel in 2001, everyone kept cheering him. They didn't care much for the character shift, as he was already an idol.

So why cater to kids who will cheer him even if he does nothing but water grass for 6 months? Book him for us, with a believable, multi layered story, and let the motherf**ker wrestle and actually sell an injury instead of jumping in the air celebrating like a spastic after a 20 minute hell in a cell match that the whole story line was building as a career shortening match.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Don't you think that Cena 2008/09/10/11/12/13/14/15 is the modern day Stone Cold of 98/99/2000 the way he has the major storylines around him?

afinalsin666

First Grade
Yes, with a couple major exceptions. That being that Stone Cold looked beatable despite being the biggest badass on the roster, and that he was surrounded with main event players like The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane, Mick Foley, and Kurt Angle. He was better than those named, but only just. Cena though...

Look back at his previous feuds real quick:

Rollins, beat him even with j&j and the big shows help. Clearly better than him.

Before that Lesnar, got his ass handed to him, then came back to draw the second match. Lesnar better than Cena, barely.

Before that Bray Wyatt, who he destroyed handily, even with three on one odds. Cena is better than them.

Before that Randy Orton, who he was cheated out of winning against. Cena is clearly better.

Before that was Alberto Del Rio, who he beat easily and cleanly. Clearly better than him.

During his feud with Del Rio, Damien Sandow cashed in his MITB contract and beat Cena for minutes, crippling his already injured arm. Cena gets up like it was nothing and wins with one move. Cena is clearly, laughably, better than him.

Before that was Daniel Bryan, who actually beat him clean. Cool. Then Cena comes out the next night and basically declares he was badly injured during the whole match, invalidating much of the achievement. Cena stays strong.

Before that was Mark Henry, who he made look like a bitch after the best promo of his career. Cena stronger than the worlds strongest man.

Before that was Ryback, who he made look like a bitch. This was one of the worst booking decisions, turning a hot Ryback heel when Cena was clearly in the wrong. Cena wins both lol.

Before that was the Rock, which was a piling shitfest of a match. Cena wins again.

Before that he put over the Shield! But before that he won the rumble.

Before that he faced Ziggler, and took every one of his finishers and signatures multiple times before one AA was enough to finish him off. CENA. WINS. LOL.

No one is on his level. No one even comes close. Lesnar is, but he is leaving, and Daniel Bryan may be, but they only had one match. There hasn't been an interchangable multifaceted main event roster that is believable in a long time.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Yes, with a couple major exceptions. That being that Stone Cold looked beatable despite being the biggest badass on the roster, and that he was surrounded with main event players like The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane, Mick Foley, and Kurt Angle. He was better than those named, but only just. Cena though...

Look back at his previous feuds real quick:

Rollins, beat him even with j&j and the big shows help. Clearly better than him.

Before that Lesnar, got his ass handed to him, then came back to draw the second match. Lesnar better than Cena, barely.

Before that Bray Wyatt, who he destroyed handily, even with three on one odds. Cena is better than them.

Before that Randy Orton, who he was cheated out of winning against. Cena is clearly better.

Before that was Alberto Del Rio, who he beat easily and cleanly. Clearly better than him.

During his feud with Del Rio, Damien Sandow cashed in his MITB contract and beat Cena for minutes, crippling his already injured arm. Cena gets up like it was nothing and wins with one move. Cena is clearly, laughably, better than him.

Before that was Daniel Bryan, who actually beat him clean. Cool. Then Cena comes out the next night and basically declares he was badly injured during the whole match, invalidating much of the achievement. Cena stays strong.

Before that was Mark Henry, who he made look like a bitch after the best promo of his career. Cena stronger than the worlds strongest man.

Before that was Ryback, who he made look like a bitch. This was one of the worst booking decisions, turning a hot Ryback heel when Cena was clearly in the wrong. Cena wins both lol.

Before that was the Rock, which was a piling shitfest of a match. Cena wins again.

Before that he put over the Shield! But before that he won the rumble.

Before that he faced Ziggler, and took every one of his finishers and signatures multiple times before one AA was enough to finish him off. CENA. WINS. LOL.

No one is on his level. No one even comes close. Lesnar is, but he is leaving, and Daniel Bryan may be, but they only had one match. There hasn't been an interchangable multifaceted main event roster that is believable in a long time.

Gee's mate, that's a pretty detailed analysis. You even brought back many memories of matches by reading through them all lol. However I will say that The Rock, even though he's semi-retried and 5 years older, is better than Cena after what happened at WrestleMania 28.

The Rock/Cena rivalry of 2012/2013 was reminiscent of the Hogan/Rock feud 1 years earlier!

The worst thing about Cena's booking is that it has reached this stage that we all know Cena wins. The only way anyone gets on top of him is if he is blindsided, but once he is a competitive match it's Blue Thunder Bomb, Five Knuckle Shuffle, FU, pin.

Lets look at his closest comparison, Hulk Hogan (his WWF run). Seemingly unbeatable during the 80's, what no-one remembers is Hogan would often lose or get beaten down big time early in his feuds. He would go away to train, eat vitamins and say prayers, then come back for the rubber match. But it was those early losses or beat downs that made him look somewhat vulnerable to a loss. Cena starts most of his feuds on top, then stays there. With the exception of Lesnar, no-one has genuinely looked capable of beating him on multiple occasions. Even Captain Burial himself HHH has put people over!