What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst co-commentator

undertaker

Coach
As mentioned by Undertaker, Scott Prince (or as he typed more hilariously Scott Punce) was just drivel.

He just let his nerves get to him and just choked and spoke in dribble:

Check this clip out, as the camera zooms in on him you can see him crap his pants live on TV:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Fantastic find there.

Iafeta

Referee
Oh no. Princey must have been worried about his property investments. Vale Scott Princes short but infamous media career.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
For Optus:

- Mario Fenech. I absolutely hated how he kept interrupting Terry Kennedy during the broadcast. Reminds me of when he used to keep saying "Fat!....FAT!....FAT!" when he was on the panel of The Footy Show.

Arrghh. I remember that, I think it was 2000 the last year Optus commentators. Fox recently showed a replay of Parra/Penrith in 2000 where Grothe Jr scored that amazing try, Mario wouldn't shut up non stop. You had David Tapp and Sean Garlick in the box, no wonder he was down on the sidelines, every 2 or 3 minutes he'd speak and change his mind about who was gonna win.

The muppets on Sky NZ are woeful. I watched all 3 grades yesterday on Fox Sports (i.e. Intrust Super Premiership, Holden Cup and NRL) and I really feel for our breathren in NZ. Those guys offer nothing of any value in commentary. They make Blocker Roach seem eloquent and insightful in comparison.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The muppets on Sky NZ are woeful. I watched all 3 grades yesterday on Fox Sports (i.e. Intrust Super Premiership, Holden Cup and NRL) and I really feel for our breathren in NZ. Those guys offer nothing of any value in commentary. They make Blocker Roach seem eloquent and insightful in comparison.

Yep, it's painful. The panel they have after the games that isn't on in Australia is actually really good but they just handed the mics to bunch of old spastics for the other part

1st & 10

Juniors
I miss Rex . I remember his comments in the 1977 grand final after the touch judge got hit by a can. Referring to the offender being taken out the back

One thing I loved about Rex he disclosed his conflict of interest with manly .

1st & 10

Juniors
If by CO-commentator you mean either colour commentators (the analyst sitting alongside the main caller, like Sterlo) or sideline commentators, there have been a proliferation of sub-standard ones RL fans in Australia have been subjected to with since PayTV started broadcasting matches in 1996 (with Optus, before Fox started with SL the following year).

Yes, most of them were brilliant RL players, but in Australian sport, there has always been this fixation from the tv broadcasters to hire ex-players, assuming that ex-players are great communicators and analysts...nothing could be further from the truth. RL fans deserved far better than what's been dished out over the past two decades.

For Fox Sports:

- Laurie Daley. Find it hard to believe he was Fox Sports main co-commentator (partnered alongside games Warren Smith called) during 2001-12 (excluding 2008 where he joined Ch9) until he left to coach NSW Origin. A decade of Lozza! Always hated the inflection he used to put at the end of nearly every sentence, and loved stating the obvious (e.g. "whoever scores the next try wins the game").

- Steve Mortimer and Brett Kenny. Both of them sounded very monotonous, like they were sitting in a pub and talking to friends whilst having a beer.

- Russell Fairfax.

- Gordon Tallis. Although to his credit he has improved a lot on camera since being on The Matty Johns show, he was an absolute shocker during his commentary days at Fox.

- Wayne Pearce. Voice sounded like a squealing pig. Still remember his commentary from Wests Tigers vs Canberra in 2006, sounded like he was going to burst into tears after Canberra won in golden point.

And more recently,

- Mark O'Neill, Scott Punce, Steve Menzies, Brett Kimmorley, Brent Tate, Scott Sattler and Simon Woolford. Boy oh boy, there's some shockers in that list. With all the money Fox has and have put into league broadcasting over the past two decades, surely they could've hired better talent for their RL coverage than that.

For Optus:

- Mario Fenech. I absolutely hated how he kept interrupting Terry Kennedy during the broadcast. Reminds me of when he used to keep saying "Fat!....FAT!....FAT!" when he was on the panel of The Footy Show.

For Ch9:

- Wally Lewis (thank God he was taken out of the commentary box for Origin this year). After all the years he has had at Fox Sports and Ch9, he just hasn't made the transition over to commentary. Too static and tense, like he is reading a news report in commentary.

- Phil Gould. Was very good when he used to feature as guest co-commentator whilst still coaching first-grade back in the '90s. Mainly commentated during the finals, then replaced Fatty for Ch9's Sunday game from 2001 and then became the permanent 2nd co-commentator alongside Sterlo from 2006 onwards. None of this "NO NO NO NO NO/DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR" crap, constant negativity, getting wound up over trivial issues, contrived melodramatic disputes with Rabs etc. when he first started out back in '94. Was watching replays of Newcastle vs Canberra and Illawarra vs Canberra from '94 and he was a breath of fresh air: far more insightful, more relaxed, knew when to talk and add something useful to the commentary. Hard to believe it is the same person when you listen to him back then

"Whoever scores the most points, will win"

age.s

First Grade
My vote is for Walters. Biased, annoying voice, says nothing even remotely interesting. Corey Parker a close second but I just feel sorry for him because he's so clearly out of his depth, Walters makes me angry.

grouch

First Grade
Oh god... I just had a terrible thought: we will probably get Laurie Daley back next year

Incorrect

Coach
Oh god... I just had a terrible thought: we will probably get Laurie Daley back next year
553bfc2c5346a881592ef993f572087b

Latest posts