What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst football Tragedys

it was 50 Years today since the Busby Babes tragedy which really was a sad turn of events for man united and for football.

so what do u think is the worst of all time

Busbys babes?
Hillsborough?
Heysel?
Puerta?

Myself i think that Superga was the worst. Torino of the 40s were one of the most dominant teams of all time, 9 of the team were mainstays in the reigning 2 time world champion Italian squad and then a plane crash killed all on board including the entire squad and coaches. Italy failed to do anything of worth until 1970 when they made the world cup final. Torino has had a downhill slide since Superga only winning one championship since the tragedy and now being a Mid Table at very best team.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I remember a game a few years back where the players got struck with lighting.

One or two of them died IIRC

Southernsaint

Staff member
Twizzle said:
I remember a game a few years back where the players got struck with lighting.

One or two of them died IIRC

That was in South Africa...

Bradford was some disaster.

Bumble

First Grade
Hillsborough or Heysel

Wrote a report on them for my major assignment in Senior History in HS...some really horrible stuff

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Glory be Lockyer said:
Puerta, so young, great career ahead of him.

More tragic than say, Duncan Edwards, who was by all reports one of, if not the most gifted footballer to play the game who lost his life at age 21 along with 22 other people, many of whom were talented footballers themselves?

Maybe it's not appropriate to compare tragedies, but Hillsborough stands out due to the sheer amount of people lost.

what about foe or miklos feher?

torino had won their fifth scudetto in a row in an era pre dating the european cup. they were easily the best european team and were the originals of the exciting football which the dutch used during the cruijff led campaigns. almost the entire italian national team came from torino. a coincidence that torino didn't win the serie a for almost 30 odd years and italy did nothing until the same time? i have a 50th anniversary edition of world soccer lying around my room somewhere. the plane hit a building on approach during a wild thunderstorm

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Hillsborough did the most to change football.

Back in the 80's, there was so much of football hooligan violence throughout Europe - resulting in the Heysal tragedy and English clubs being banned from European competition.
The response from England was to put up all the iron pens and cage the fans especially in all the terrace areas.

Hillsborough forced the fans and the game to really take a long hard look at itself because this was a result of fans killing their own in a terrible accident.
Football hooligansim suddenly became totally unacceptable

A commission was set up - and some of the recommendations included the removal of all terrace standing areas at grounds and to make the grounds all-seater

A change for the better for the 96 that died.

fish eel

Immortal
There has been some shocking stuff happen at International games in Africa over the years, thankfully now they've got better stadiums.

Red Bear

Referee
hillsbrough, 96 people died, shouldnt matter whether they are greats at football or just regular people, 96 people dying is a tragedy.

All are very sad events tho thats for sure

fish eel said:
There has been some shocking stuff happen at International games in Africa over the years, thankfully now they've got better stadiums.

i remember reading a few years back in world soccer magazine about a game in which zimbabwe were playing and the stadium was sh*t house and one stand collapsed killing a gang of people then people panicked and caused a stampede and more people died. terrible stuff

Dragooner

Bench
It has to be Hillsbrough! That was just shocking. That is the worst footballing tradgedy in footballing history. 96 bloody people lost there lives. Really nothing stands up to it. Some have come close but nowhere near the tradgedy at Hillsbrough.

I still feel for there families and no matter who died 96 people is far and away too many.