What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NRL commentators

Worst NRL commentator

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knightmare

Coach
Remember when gus would make 50 predictions before a game and by some fluke if one happened it would be "I told you that was going to happen"

This.

I agree that Gus is actually spot-on about a lot of things regarding what's wrong/ what needs to be changed with the current game. He clearly has a fantastic understanding of players and of the game itself.

But the way he hedges his bets both ways and then carries on about how "He just KNEW they'd do it" when either team wins is so bad it's comical.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I take it you've never listened to Laurie Spina on ABC radio calling cowboys games ?

I recall him calling a Cowboys game back in about 2011. The further the match went on, the more pissed he sounded.

He even said that Shaun Johnston did something miraculous when he was probably curled up in bed, snoozing away before the next day's match at Mt Smart!

A squeaky voiced little genius.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Halligan has been commentating for Sky NZ since 2001 (when he joined Costigan, who replaced Graeme Hughes). Quite amazing someone of Halligan's calibre has lasted that long in a commentary job.

Surely he either must have friends in high places or got some confidential info on some of the tv executives

He apparently sucks dick as good as slotting on from the sideline.. This is the only reasonable justification for him to be on ANY form of commentary team

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Brandy is easily as biased as Spina. As is a fired up 'Gaz'. But Hadley is the worst commentator. I won't listen to him.

How bad is the entire C9 team at the moment. With Locky, Gus, Warren, Johns, Hadley, Wally all dictating terms (lol), its a snore fest. Channel 9's sports coverage is completely broken now, across all sports. It use to be the key part of their entire business before. Their lack of succession planning, and allowing people like Ray Warren to go on as long has he has, is difficult to comprehend. Especially now they are competing on each game they cover against fox.

I actually had hoped the NRL would sign the last deal to another competitor for FTA. But no, they chose to allow the same old routine to remain. You would think they would grow tired of being constantly thrown under the bus by Gus and Warren every 5 seconds for the last contract. League coverage is terrible, that new channel on Fox is a waste of time too. It re-runs game and shows more than The Simpsons.

There needs to be a change in NRL Headquarters before the next contract is signed. They missed the opportunity to be pioneers of the evolution of sporting television in this country on the last contract. Streaming is taking over, and their streaming contents is laughable.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Buderus and Caine combo calling nsw cup is utter trash. Hopefully they stay in reserve grade

Iafeta

Referee
Steve Roach last night pulled out every condescending and inaccurate generalisation on the Warriors that he possibly could last. I thought Wayne Pearce who was also extremely stupid with Polynesian generalisations had returned. Maybe utter stupidity in the commentary box is a Balmain thing.

You know you are truly horrific as a commentator when Andy Raymond pulled him up on his nonsensical lies.

Stick to bullying in the office, Blocker.

some11

Referee
I'd rather listen to a two hour loop of Joey saying 'tremendous footwork for a big man' than two minutes of Roach.

beave

Coach
Steve Roach last night pulled out every condescending and inaccurate generalisation on the Warriors that he possibly could last. I thought Wayne Pearce who was also extremely stupid with Polynesian generalisations had returned. Maybe utter stupidity in the commentary box is a Balmain thing.

You know you are truly horrific as a commentator when Andy Raymond pulled him up on his nonsensical lies.

The retort by your boys twitter account was gold. Roach was being a complete douchè last night........... however some it was justified. Horrendous shit, the fans deserve better.

Brutus

Referee

Blocker has been a proponent of 'jungle ball' for many years now.

Bernster

Juniors
Nine: All of them, especially Wally Lewis who always seems devo whenever the Cowboys get up and/or beat those entitled Unicorns - same with Brad Fittler. Darren Lockyer isn't so bad. Andrew Johns aka Shane Warne's long lost brother gets irritating too. But hey, Channel Nine became dead to me a year ago because Fox is a squillion times better.

As for Fox, I'm not a fan of Blocker thesedays.

Life's Good

Coach
Fox,for me,is miles ahead on the game commentary. Unfortunately, their non game content is fast becoming personality based and not league driven not unlike The Footy Show.

undertaker

Coach
Michael Ennis has been good on the pre-game/post-game panels, but his match commentary leaves a lot to be desired. He voice sounds like he's been suffering from constipation all week

Brutus

Referee
Graeme Hughes and Warren Boland. Bring them back. Hughes called a game last year. It was good for a guy that hadn't called in years.