What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NRL team in History

superpanther

Juniors
In your opinion is Newcastle the worst team that has played rugby league? At present the 1980 Penrith team performed better. ( remember there were no byes back in 1980) and at least they won 2 games.

roofromoz

First Grade
There were probably worse Penrith teams than the 1980 one, but registered more wins. 10 of the 19 losses in 1980 were by 6 points or less, and having read a lot of match reports from that season, they played without a lot of luck, being run down in some instances after leading in the second half.

Although they had more wins with 3. I found the Wests in 1999 a terrible team. They lost 12 matches conceding over 40 points (7 of them over 50 points) and lost 12 straight. 944 points in total conceded in 24 matches at an average of 39.33 per game, the most in league history.

Different era but Easts in 1966 didn't win a match. In 18 games they scored only 23 tries and only breaking double figures six times.

Gold Coast seagulls won 1 match in 1993 from 22 matches.Lost 16 straight that year. Surprisingly only lost 1 match conceding 50 points.

And a last doozey for any Panther fan. The Parrmatta Eels claimed 8 wooden spoons in 10 years from 1951 to 1962. The Eels were so bad they finished last 6 times in a row.

Knight this year have lost 7 over 40 points. 17 match losing streak. They have tried for most games but they just don't have the talent at the moment.

Its hard to compare teams from different eras but I think the teams above were worse than the knights.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think you forget Wests were broke from the superleague war, they didn't get the support other ARL loyal clubs got - but they were ordinary, no argument.

miănfèinàn

Juniors
Other teamss that were just as strikingly bad, or more so:
  • Newtown from 1976 to 1978 won just seven games out of 66.
    • the Jets conceded a double figure try tally five times, two of which were in consecutive games in late 1977
    • over the three seasons the Jets conceded over fifteen percent of all home-and-away tries scored in a twelve-team competition
    • yet only three times scored five tries themselves (one of which was in the opening game of 1976)
    • won just one game of 36 between Round 2, 1977 and Round 15, 1978
  • Western Suburbs in 1984 won just one game of 24 – and that when they scored only one try to Illawarra’s two
    • The Magpies did concede 50 points just once – but that was to second-last placed Easts the round after their sole win
    • They conceded 40 points four times – actually fewer than in the following 1985 season when they did so seven times in a low-scoring era – but scored 20 points just once
    • Apart from winger Steve Broughton (12 tries) and utility back Trevor Cogger (eight) the Magpies scored just 20 tries in 24 games, a deficiency equal to Easts in 1966 if we exclude Kevin Junee’s nine tries

Fangs

Coach
I think you forget Wests were broke from the superleague war, they didn't get the support other ARL loyal clubs got - but they were ordinary, no argument.

Majority of the teams mentioned in this thread were before my time. But I certainly remember the Magpies being a very shabby football side. Definately the worst I have seen.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-1999/round-3/penrith-vs-western-suburbs/summary.html

Went to see this game in 99. The Magpies were diabolical that night.

roofromoz

First Grade
Majority of the teams mentioned in this thread were before my time. But I certainly remember the Magpies being a very shabby football side. Definately the worst I have seen.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-1999/round-3/penrith-vs-western-suburbs/summary.html

I went to the return match a couple of months later on a drab Saturday night at Parramatta Stadium, where they beat us 7-6, in front of what appeared to be a few hundred people (if that)... a mate and myself were amongst about 10 people on the hill at the Parramatta Park end. Drab night, even more drab feeling after full time. I think we went to PJs afterwards and got smashed.

Fangs

Coach
I went to the return match a couple of months later on a drab Saturday night at Parramatta Stadium, where they beat us 7-6, in front of what appeared to be a few hundred people (if that)... a mate and myself were amongst about 10 people on the hill at the Parramatta Park end. Drab night, even more drab feeling after full time. I think we went to PJs afterwards and got smashed.

We lost to that rabble? Thats shocking.

Haha love it. I wonder if PJs still smelt of piss back then like it does today.

Was just watching some old footage of 90s Panthers games on youtube. Man, some of those crowd numbers were deplorable. So many empty red seats at Penrith stadium.

soc123_au

Staff member
Ha ha, I was also at that game. Rhys Wesser missing a goal from dead in front set the tone for the match. Utter plod fest. One of the worst games I gave ever been to as far as feeling deflated at the end of it. Only the Cows 26 to 0 comeback comes close.

roofromoz

First Grade
Was lucky enough to not be at that debacle in '98 v Cowboys (actually my first Penrith home match was v Norths in 1999), but I was there the night we finally broke Newcastle's massive losing streak in 2005. That was a low night.

soc123_au

Staff member
At home vs Norths in 99 was good. I recall Brandy putting a massive shot on Billy Moore. Or it could have been 98. Pretty sure it was in his final season.

TheFrog

Coach
If you are talking about the NRL era, as the header suggests, then Wests '99 wins hands down. If you want to go back further, it's hard to go past the winless Roosters of 1966.

The Realist

Juniors
Was lucky enough to not be at that debacle in '98 v Cowboys (actually my first Penrith home match was v Norths in 1999), but I was there the night we finally broke Newcastle's massive losing streak in 2005. That was a low night.

I got kicked off the League Unlimited forums after that game. Was not happy...coach Lang was starting to go senile with selections...had Galea on the WING!

That game was the start of us being THE team that always seems to break other teams losing streaks.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Some of the Souffs team of the 90s and after they were re-admitted (2002-2006) were often pretty terrible as well. It was pretty embarrassing that Penrith still lost a few times to those poor Souffs teams, and again this season in 2017...

Panthers of 2001 was a shocker of a team.

I think many of us had high expectations for 2001 after making the finals in 2000. The only major personnel change in the team was Mark Geyer announcing his retirement from what I recall.

Terrible team. Deserving of the wooden spoon :rage:

Panthers of 2001 was a shocker of a team.

I think many of us had high expectations for 2001 after making the finals in 2000. The only major personnel change in the team was Mark Geyer announcing his retirement from what I recall.

Terrible team. Deserving of the wooden spoon :rage:

Everything went wrong that year. Injuries, form slumps even Girds impressive goal kicking went down to 61%
Geyer & Gaffey retired Drew left for Parra were the only major losses. We only gained Holbrook.
Awful year. Just when it looked like we may get out of inheriting the dreaded Spoon the Cowboys upset the Warriors last round to give us our deserved medicine.
Probably the year we had to have to get the changes through for the success of 2003. The only downside was Royce's messy exit.

4 tries for the aeroplane man :) I didn't go to the match but I was cheering every time they went flash scores around the grounds and Penrith's score kept going up and up.

Everything went wrong that year. Injuries, form slumps even Girds impressive goal kicking went down to 61%
Geyer & Gaffey retired Drew left for Parra were the only major losses. We only gained Holbrook.
Awful year. Just when it looked like we may get out of inheriting the dreaded Spoon the Cowboys upset the Warriors last round to give us our deserved medicine.
Probably the year we had to have to get the changes through for the success of 2003. The only downside was Royce's messy exit.
Ah that's right! Drew left to play for Parra.

I remember that first game in 2001 against Parra. Drew tore us a new one!!