What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst players to play Origin

I'm sure there's been a similar thread, hopefully not too recently. But who would you say have been the worst players to play Origin? Let's say within the last 20 years?

There's a difference between worst players and worst performances. Eg saw Nathan Merritt mentioned here - had an awful SOO but IMO one of the best wingers of his time.

So..

Worst Players (I'm going all-time here..)
Joe Kilroy
Dane Carlaw
Jeremy Schloss
Danny Moore
Stuart Kelly
Adrian Brunker
Rex Wright (made SOO from Country Origin - great effort though!)
David Brooks
Alan Wilson
Ken McGuiness
Josh Perry
Joel Monaghan
Anthony Quinn
Kade Snowden
Tim Grant

Some of these guys had one or two bumper seasons then nothing (eg Grant), journeymen, toilers etc (eg Brooks).

Life's Good

Coach
There's a difference between worst players and worst performances. Eg saw Nathan Merritt mentioned here - had an awful SOO but IMO one of the best wingers of his time.

So..

Joe Kilroy
Dane Carlaw
Jeremy Schloss
Danny Moore
Stuart Kelly
Adrian Brunker
David Brooks
Alan Wilson
Ken McGuiness
Josh Perry
Joel Monaghan
Anthony Quinn
Kade Snowden
Tim Grant

Some of these guys had one or two bumper seasons then nothing (eg Grant), journeymen, toilers etc (eg Brooks).
I think you’re on the money. To be selected to play Origin means you must have done something right in club footy. Definitely there have been good/great club players stinking up in Origin(Merritt being an obvious example).

Brutus

Referee

So..

Joe Kilroy
Dane Carlaw
Jeremy Schloss
Danny Moore
Stuart Kelly
Adrian Brunker
David Brooks
Alan Wilson
Ken McGuiness
Josh Perry
Joel Monaghan
Anthony Quinn
Kade Snowden
Tim Grant

Nothing wrong with Joe Kilroy ya gronk.

So..

Joe Kilroy
Dane Carlaw
Jeremy Schloss
Danny Moore
Stuart Kelly
Adrian Brunker
David Brooks
Alan Wilson
Ken McGuiness
Josh Perry
Joel Monaghan
Anthony Quinn
Kade Snowden
Tim Grant

Tim Grant played 2 games for NSW and was brilliant in both. Maybe his NRL career didn't go the best afterwards but he defo didn't let anyone down when wearing the sky blue.

Tim Grant played 2 games for NSW and was brilliant in both. Maybe his NRL career didn't go the best afterwards but he defo didn't let anyone down when wearing the sky blue.

Yeah he played well - and most would remember him for his big hit on Petero from the Kickoff @ Homebush. I was there, great hit.

I've got him in there as before picked, he was a decent prop, then after he fell off the radar. Comparing him with our other blues props over time though, others have proven far better over a longer period of time. But that's just my opinion.

isaiah

Bench
Cam smith, only won two premierships from all those grand finals then if he didn't dog it this year we are 1-1 now

Yeah he played well - and most would remember him for his big hit on Petero from the Kickoff @ Homebush. I was there, great hit.

I've got him in there as before picked, he was a decent prop, then after he fell off the radar. Comparing him with our other blues props over time though, others have proven far better over a longer period of time. But that's just my opinion.
Before he was picked he was in brilliant form. I remember it very well, he should have been picked the year before but he missed out narrowly and at the time he was picked they all wanted Keith Galloway picked instead but rightfully so they went with Grant. At that point in the time James Tamou was the best prop in the world, he dominated Queensland in game 1 and when Grant joined him up front they were in total control in that game. I struggle to find many props better then him over the last decade - Gallen, Klemmer, Fifita, Tamou (for a few games).

I remember those times very well, not only were we out classed in the backs but our forwards were getting totally dominated by Petro, Price, Hannat, Scott and Shillington. It was only when Gallen switched upfront that we got the advantage and then we discovered Tamou and Grant and were suddenly on top

Luckily we have Boyd Cordner now to fix that issue.
Cordner was defo MOTM for getting knocked out and leaving the field. He almost single handidly turned that game around with a miss tackle on Ponga that almost lead to a try and a missed tackle on Ben Hunt which lead to a break as well. Had he still been on there's no knowing what would have happened haha.

All the shit token Manly players we used to have foisted on us year after year.
Manly provided us with Watmough who was one of if not the best forward we had over the last decade. More importantly they provided us with DCE who was instrumental in that breakthrough win in 2014 - I'll always be thankful for that.