What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would people turn up to City/Country if it was in Melbourne?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I reckon moving the C/C to Victoria is a good experiment and see if they would turn up to an origin trial. Anyway the amount of people who would, would be more then what turned up at Coffs.

Pistol

Coach
dude

the whole point in taking a game to the bush is that so the fans can get a glimpse of rep footy seen at the grass roots grounds. You wont have a 20k plus crowd in a stadium like the one in Coffs Harbour

having said that, i dont know how many would turn up in bushland vic if it was held there

best to ask the victorians

Quidgybo

Bench
novacastrian_panther said:
I know it sounds stupid, but its worth the experiment IMO.
No it isn't. The Anzac test is the match that should've gone to Melbourne this year and an annual Test match contested by a team the locals can actually get behind and show some passion for (ie. the Kangaroos - their national team) should be Melbourne's right as Australia's second biggest city in lieu of the alternative - a State of Origin match between two essentially foreign teams. But sending NSW's City/Country selection trial to Melbourne would be quite properly seen through by the locals as a half arsed effort at providing a showcase game while Sydney and Brisbane get second and third dibs at the real thing. It'd be a slap in the face by a code obviously not serious about wooing a frontier market and the Melbourne public would treat it as such.

Leigh.

yosh64

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
No it isn't. The Anzac test is the match that should've gone to Melbourne this year and an annual Test match contested by a team the locals can actually get behind and show some passion for (ie. the Kangaroos - their national team) should be Melbourne's right as Australia's second biggest city in lieu of the alternative - a State of Origin match between two essentially foreign teams. But sending NSW's City/Country selection trial to Melbourne would be quite properly seen through by the locals as a half arsed effort at providing a showcase game while Sydney and Brisbane get second and third dibs at the real thing. It'd be a slap in the face by a code obviously not serious about wooing a frontier market and the Melbourne public would treat it as such.

Leigh.

Totally agree. Also people have got to see that one of the main goals of city v country is the support it gives the game of league in the bush. Its clear that in some areas league is struggling in the bush so every bit helps. Moving it to melbourne would take away the support it gives to country league.

cougar

Juniors
and it's a nsw trial game - why would melbourne want it??? that'd be like saying send it to the gold coast....

Coastbloke

Bench
Put City Country in places like Gosford, Newcastle or even Canberra's Bruce Stadium for 20,000 crowds...

I hear places like Coffs, Dubbo and the like have TV now, so they can see their heroes from there...

Play trials at regional towns if they like.

8000 for the rep stars on show makes it look like a joke.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Coastbloke said:
Put City Country in places like Gosford, Newcastle or even Canberra's Bruce Stadium for 20,000 crowds...

I hear places like Coffs, Dubbo and the like have TV now, so they can see their heroes from there...

Yeh play the City country games at these places, as they dont have NRL teams to go and watch hey :roll:

IDIOT

Coastbloke

Bench
Y2Eel said:
Yeh play the City country games at these places, as they dont have NRL teams to go and watch hey :roll:

So what's the point of it in Coffs with a 8000 crowd..??

Why can't regional centres like Coffs, Dubbo or Port Mac be satisfied with trials. If they are clamouring for NRL fixtures, why did only 8000 turn up at Coffs..??

Ridiculous.

They've even got the rep season arse up anyway....

Y2Eel

First Grade
Coastbloke said:
So what's the point of it in Coffs with a 8000 crowd..??

Why can't regional centres like Coffs, Dubbo or Port Mac be satisfied with trials. If they are clamouring for NRL fixtures, why did only 8000 turn up at Coffs..??

Ridiculous.

They've even got the rep season arse up anyway....

Yeh i see your point it all makes sense to me now........................................................

The whole City Country idea was to get the game out to the country.. Coffs Harbour isnt the heart of the country area...

Coastbloke

Bench
Y2Eel said:
Yeh i see your point it all makes sense to me now........................................................

The whole City Country idea was to get the game out to the country.. Coffs Harbour isnt the heart of the country area...

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Y2Eel

First Grade
Coastbloke said:
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

It should still be held in the country though...Dubbo /Lismore

It should have country v city under 20's before it aswell used to be city 2nd v country 2nd...

yosh64

Juniors
Coastbloke said:

Look its fair enough to focus on the financials and get large crowds paying to see the game. But one of the big points of C/C is that it supports country league! You cant just focus on the financial side of the game. Gosford should get a game here and there as its country, without a team and can get money but forget about the others as they have teams developing/supporting league in those towns.

Possible reasons for Coffs not getting a good crowd:
- thursday night, work night, school night, people couldnt travel to the game due to fri's commitments.
- coffs has a strong union presence/support due to the wallabies home being based there
- poor perception of league has hurt leagues support there due to the bulldogs case

(these are just some ideas based on my knowledge of the locals perceptions as i have family up there)

Latest posts