What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would the Gold Coast licence be better off used elsewhere?

jim_57

Staff member
I think the big thing that hasn’t been spoken about is the lack of success. Qlders are use to winning and titans haven’t done that. If they had a few years of competing with the big teams and making finals I think the gc fans would start coming back. I don’t think any owner would have direct impact on onfield success.

Also the afl and suns are sitting in a much worse position than the titans. Afl supplement the suns by $25+mil. Titans get there standard club funding of $10mil and a overall rugby league city and state. Maybe a big name Falou type player would help get them back on track?

Another thing Queenslanders like is Queenslanders. I think there has been a bit too much of a NSW feel to the team for quite a while and the colours don't help since they've essentially ditched the yellow.

Another thing Queenslanders like is Queenslanders. I think there has been a bit too much of a NSW feel to the team for quite a while and the colours don't help since they've essentially ditched the yellow.

Yeah the colour scheme is terrible, way too close to NSW. The jersey design itself, with a traditional V is better. Sponsorship placement terrible though.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
That’d be like saying have a team based in Gosford, but have them play in Sydney. Makes no sense. The titans owners need to reboot and re engage and quickly.
If there was a team based out of Gosford already that was losing money, it'd make perfect sense.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its not fair to pick out the Titans as an underperforming team/location. They have had a horror run for a few years and still outdraw most Sydney clubs...

And, as for the myth that "every GC club dies, blah blah blah", only one GC NRL team has ever gone broke (the Tits about 2 years ago). Before that, NONE of the GC teams ever defaulted.

Saying the 88-97 GC teams died is like saying Souths died in 07 or Panthers died in 2014. Just because the owners change or the logo is redone doesnt mean they are dead.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think what the Titans desperately need is a soft-reboot of their brand.

Dont touch the name (the media would become hysterical), but a new logo, jumper and maybe even new colours would be a good "new beginning" for the club.

jim_57

Staff member
I think what the Titans desperately need is a soft-reboot of their brand.

Dont touch the name (the media would become hysterical), but a new logo, jumper and maybe even new colours would be a good "new beginning" for the club.

Logo change - Maybe
Jersey - Definitely
Colours - Yeh, bring back the yellow and stick to the vibrant sky blue (as seen on the away jersey).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Logo change - Maybe
Jersey - Definitely
Colours - Yeh, bring back the yellow and stick to the vibrant sky blue (as seen on the away jersey).

"Titans" is such a vague term, they could go just about anywhere with it.

The Centurian helmet is a branding dead-end that is void of any local connection and makes the club look like a bad gimmick.

Bring back the old leaping Giant for some 80s RL nostalgia, use a battleship/whale/etc for the local marine imagery, pick ANY animal that is large enough to warrent the name "Titans" (i prefer animal logos, because they are a black canvas for clubs to build an image. The human logos carry associated baggage that, when done badly, ruins the branding)

And, the logo itself is just a travisty of proportion. The "personality" of the logo (the helmet) is too same, the sword are overbearing, the wordmark cuts the logo in half making it look jarring and 1/3rd of the image is dedicated to pointless handles

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Logo change - Maybe
Jersey - Definitely

Such a shame their ditched their unique shade of gold for a Parramatta-yellow or no gold at all...

It would have been ok to change the shade of yellow if it had become more Orange, not less. Instead, no they just look like a cheap Parra/NSW knock-off.

I’d go completely different to the blue, go to red/black/white of the seagulls.

To me the colours suit their original name, the dolphins, not Titans.

3C109ABD-9673-416A-851C-6CA1104EF5C4.jpeg

Last edited: