What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you be sacking Trent Barret or even Des Hasler?

mickeylane

Bench
Manly have leaked 90 points in 2 weeks with no reprieve in sight as they have a difficult draw in site - would u be calling for Trent Barrett to be sacked as a Manly supporter?

Des Hasler 5 losses in a row and out of the top 8 contention - would u as supporter be looking for his sacking?

Ricky Stuart anyone? The supposed second favourites to take out the title this will miss out on the 8 altogether - do u think he deserves to be sacked especially w the cattle he had this year..

The jist of this thread is "the grass is not always greener on the other side".. We have yet to cop a hiding (albeit) Parra 2nd round was as bad as it got.. Certain teams are being toweled and playing worst football than we are yet we as supporters seem to be looking to find any excuse to replace our coach ..I think we are going better than a lot of other teams especially if u look at some the close losses we had that could have been our wins see Roosters, CANBERRA., Sharks and yesterday against the Knights.. All those games were ours for the taking totalling 8 points and having us sitting in the top 2 at this stage..

This is how close we are to being a top 4 team a matter of just small team errors or refereeing decisions as it were in the games feat Sharks and Knights..

So if we took the blinkers off we are only a couple of tweaks off from this year being a top 4 team - I tell you something I'm not complaining of this years efforts thus far and nor should anyone else on this forum - be realistic and tell me what your exoectations were at the stArt of the season .

I bet you were happy to avoid the wooden spoon!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Let me get this straight - are you suggesting I should be happy with the team's performance because we're not coming last? Or because when we lost we didn't get flogged on the scoreboard?

Well if that's the definition of success then Doust should have extended McGregor for another 5 seasons instead of just 2.

possm

Coach
I hope the Dogs Board sack Hasler and our Board at last sign a top notch coach in Hasler. There is an old boys club at the Dogs who want control and don't want Hasler.

It would be very lucky for us if he comes onto the market.

Brutalitops

Juniors
You would have to f**k f**king insane to sack Trent Barrett after the last two weeks. Manly have been excellent for most of the season.

Des Hasler has a very boring style coached into the Dogs yes. But the fact is he hasn't missed the finals for a decade and took an average Dogs team to 2 grand finals. Garbage year this year but I'd still rather both of them than Mary.

Manly have a history of sacking coaches unjustifiably (Toovey) so many be they'll do it again.

Life's Good

Coach
If we are that close to being a Top 4 team then how do you explain 4 wins from 12 starts?
Would Bellamy/Robinson/Flanagan/Green/Henry/Bennett be happy with 4 from 12?
I appreciate you looking for positives but that is how our club operates which is the exact reason we keep stumbling because for them close enough is good enough.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
Who did you support? Mickeys lane or Mitch Brennan? Just like Mary harping back to 2015 you harp back to the start of the season and forget the last 12 weeks.

hazzbeen

Bench
If we are that close to being a Top 4 team then how do you explain 4 wins from 12 starts?
Would Bellamy/Robinson/Flanagan/Green/Henry/Bennett be happy with 4 from 12?
I appreciate you looking for positives but that is how our club operates which is the exact reason we keep stumbling because for them close enough is good enough.
Mate the problem is we are not even close enough . I hope Mary proves me wrong and we go deep into the play offs , I have seen it all before and even when we had that good run of games , I was always thinking this might happen . Seems to be Mary coached sides are ok until the opposition work us out No plan Bs or Cs ....

Gareth67

First Grade
I certainly did not believe that the Dragons would finish in the top Eight , merely did not believe that we had the fire power , or coach to do so and at this point in time , it would appear that nothing has changed .

As to sacking Hasler , from an outsiders point of view , yes . It would seem that the players have lost their confidence in him , or at least some have . That plus the Bulldogs hierarchy have other plans , unlike our own board , theirs expect results , that being at the very least a semi final berth . They have supplied Dessie with whomever he wanted , but this year and to a lesser degree last year , just have not be able to produce the desired results . He needs to get away from Belmore and resurrect his career elsewhere .

Trent Barrett , no I would not sack him , as he has shown enough to suggest that within a couple of years he shall become a very competent 1st grade coach . He is merely at the ' teething ' stage at present .

Paul McGregor , alas the man does have the good of the team at heart , but most unfortunately for all concerned , that simply does not equate to being a coach whom is able to provide his players with that much needed ' will to win ' , let alone being a good tactician . He does not have what it takes to be successful coach and that being the case , neither will any team that he coaches . I can only class him as a ' also - ran coach ' , not a 1st grade coach .

By saying what I have , does not mean that I dislike the man , as he has done his best and I respect him for that , but as mentioned earlier in the piece , this sport is results driven , one must be successful continually , otherwise they need to make way for another , who can perform the task better .

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Mate the problem is we are not even close enough . I hope Mary proves me wrong and we go deep into the play offs , I have seen it all before and even when we had that good run of games , I was always thinking this might happen . Seems to be Mary coached sides are ok until the opposition work us out No plan Bs or Cs ....
I hear you loud & clear mate. It's a crying shame our club has blinkers and earmuffs on.

Manly have leaked 90 points in 2 weeks with no reprieve in sight as they have a difficult draw in site - would u be calling for Trent Barrett to be sacked as a Manly supporter?

Des Hasler 5 losses in a row and out of the top 8 contention - would u as supporter be looking for his sacking?

Ricky Stuart anyone? The supposed second favourites to take out the title this will miss out on the 8 altogether - do u think he deserves to be sacked especially w the cattle he had this year..

The jist of this thread is "the grass is not always greener on the other side".. We have yet to cop a hiding (albeit) Parra 2nd round was as bad as it got.. Certain teams are being toweled and playing worst football than we are yet we as supporters seem to be looking to find any excuse to replace our coach ..I think we are going better than a lot of other teams especially if u look at some the close losses we had that could have been our wins see Roosters, CANBERRA., Sharks and yesterday against the Knights.. All those games were ours for the taking totalling 8 points and having us sitting in the top 2 at this stage..

This is how close we are to being a top 4 team a matter of just small team errors or refereeing decisions as it were in the games feat Sharks and Knights..

So if we took the blinkers off we are only a couple of tweaks off from this year being a top 4 team - I tell you something I'm not complaining of this years efforts thus far and nor should anyone else on this forum - be realistic and tell me what your exoectations were at the stArt of the season .

F#ckwit.

Your excitement over Mary's extension, 'take as read, Mary is getting a 2 year extension!!', 'what more can he do, he has us leading the comp!!', or 'Mary has turned this club around!!', and this post are the bird brain ravings of a clueless imbecile.

Please spare us. No more.

Straight Shooter

Coffs dragon

Bench
It's quite simple, If Mary was coach of the Bulldogs they'd be running last. If he was in charge of Manly this year they wouldn't be anywhere near the top 8. And I'm sure if either Barrett or Hasler had our team & squad then we would be sitting higher.
Des Hasler has 2 premierships to his name and a brilliant record of taking his teams to the semis. McDipshit brags about his 2015 semis feat like a broken record.
Chalk and cheese!

I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense!
Using another cliche - you are a "glass half full" sort of apologist that no matter how bad things get, you are always looking for ways to rationalize failure.
To answer your post more specifically:
1. McGregor should never have been appointed in the first place because his CV was nowhere strong enough to land the first grade coaching position at St. George.
That decision was exacerbated by extending his contract prematurely this year.
I am happy to compare McGregor's 3 year tenure against the other coaches that you mention.
There is no comparison. Both Hasler and Stuart made the finals last year so sacking them seems premature. Barrett has done a terrific job at Manly and still sits above us on the table.
I think you'll find we have copped plenty of hidings - especially 2105 and last year. Paramatta and Melbourne destroyed us this year - we had no answer. So I don't know how you define a hiding but both those games were not pretty.
The reality is we are poorly coached and we lose games because of it.
At the end of the day, I don't care what happens at the other clubs. I care what happens to ours.
2. There is no way we have ever been wooden spoon candidates with the forward pack we have and the players available to the coach for selection.
That is just BS spin promoted by McGregor supporters in order to manage the fans expectations.
McGregor bombs out and there is a ready made excuse.
He gets anywhere above 10th and we have "over achieved".
Make the 8 and we are popping champagne bottles, backslapping and doing cartwheels.
It is utter nonsense.
In conclusion
This is the same crap that we have had to endure for 3 seasons in a row now.
I think McGregor has had every opportunity to show what a gun coach he can be and he has failed.
The only one wearing blinkers it seems is you.
Pointing to refs' decisions and competition points that "should've, would've could've" gone our way is an exercise in futility.
To answer you last question directly.
My expectation is for the team to consistently play to its potential.
By any objective measure, that has never happened under McGregor.

mickeylane

Bench
F#ckwit.

Your excitement over Mary's extension, 'take as read, Mary is getting a 2 year extension!!', 'what more can he do, he has us leading the comp!!', or 'Mary has turned this club around!!', and this post are the bird brain ravings of a clueless imbecile.

Please spare us. No more.

Straight Shooter

Lol you funny little man!! Your like a disease that won't go away - U keep coming back for more... I'm just so glad you have to endure 2 more years of Mcgregor.. f**k I would pay to watch you squirm in your seat each week watching Mcgregor roll out for his post match interview ..
put it this way jerkoff you have another 118 weeks of Mcgregor! Enjoy it .. It's all free..

Me - I think the bloke is doing a good job .. The club will prevail and pricks like you and anyone else having a crack will have to crawl out of your hole to admit your wrong,,....

But wait a minute you will find some other excuse to complain about...
Do u read french jerkoff,if not read my lips....f**k YOU

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense!
Using another cliche - you are a "glass half full" sort of apologist that no matter how bad things get, you are always looking for ways to rationalize failure.
To answer your post more specifically:
1. McGregor should never have been appointed in the first place because his CV was nowhere strong enough to land the first grade coaching position at St. George.
That decision was exacerbated by extending his contract prematurely this year.
I am happy to compare McGregor's 3 year tenure against the other coaches that you mention.
There is no comparison. Both Hasler and Stuart made the finals last year so sacking them seems premature. Barrett has done a terrific job at Manly and still sits above us on the table.
I think you'll find we have copped plenty of hidings - especially 2105 and last year. Paramatta and Melbourne destroyed us this year - we had no answer. So I don't know how you define a hiding but both those games were not pretty.
The reality is we are poorly coached and we lose games because of it.
At the end of the day, I don't care what happens at the other clubs. I care what happens to ours.
2. There is no way we have ever been wooden spoon candidates with the forward pack we have and the players available to the coach for selection.
That is just BS spin promoted by McGregor supporters in order to manage the fans expectations.
McGregor bombs out and there is a ready made excuse.
He gets anywhere above 10th and we have "over achieved".
Make the 8 and we are popping champagne bottles, backslapping and doing cartwheels.
It is utter nonsense.
In conclusion
This is the same crap that we have had to endure for 3 seasons in a row now.
I think McGregor has had every opportunity to show what a gun coach he can be and he has failed.
The only one wearing blinkers it seems is you.
Pointing to refs' decisions and competition points that "should've, would've could've" gone our way is an exercise in futility.
To answer you last question directly.
My expectation is for the team to consistently play to its potential.
By any objective measure, that has never happened under McGregor.
Your way way off the mark.. The team is nothing more than a top 8 team - if you really think they can win the comp then you are truely delusional my friend.. This team is sitting where it belongs in the bottom half of the 8 with a view of building a roster over the next 3 years that will challenge for a title.. Ffs we are playing without a recognised halfback all year - Mcgregor has not failed yet - and if ur going to disagree with
Coyne.
Johnston
Doust
Who are the heirarchy and who reappointed Mcgregor then feel free to drop them a note and tell them they're f**ked and docile and have no idea - you like all of us are just dumb pundits who are passionate about a team - don't think for once instance you have a clue of what your talking about - the professionals of the club have made their decision and we as dumb pundits have to go with their decision because obviously they see something we are not seeing and thAt gives me confidence..

epDragon62

First Grade
Your way way off the mark.. The team is nothing more than a top 8 team - if you really think they can win the comp then you are truely delusional my friend.. This team is sitting where it belongs in the bottom half of the 8 with a view of building a roster over the next 3 years that will challenge for a title.. Ffs we are playing without a recognised halfback all year - Mcgregor has not failed yet - and if ur going to disagree with
Coyne.
Johnston
Doust
Who are the heirarchy and who reappointed Mcgregor then feel free to drop them a note and tell them they're f**ked and docile and have no idea - you like all of us are just dumb pundits who are passionate about a team - don't think for once instance you have a clue of what your talking about - the professionals of the club have made their decision and we as dumb pundits have to go with their decision because obviously they see something we are not seeing and thAt gives me confidence..
Sorry Mickey, you make some points to ponder but on the whole I think DP is closer to the mark.

My assessment is that our cattle could do significantly better with a decent coach. I doubt we'd win but if you get close enough anything can happen.

There are simply too many obvious signs of poor coaching to support Mary, who I think really cares and works hard but just doesn't have what it takes.

blacksafake

First Grade
McGregor has consistently failed to have the team play at a consistent, competitive level since taking the job. More times than not they are comprehensively outplayed when playing any of the top 4/5 sides. It happens too often & will imo continue whilst he's in charge. Sure the officiating played its part yesterday but against the wooden spooners they should never have been in the situation to let the refs have a bearing on the result.

Hasler & Barrett would love to have our squad compared to theirs.

gonz

Juniors
So the day we played the dogs they were ordinary yet they beat us, then parra same we're nothing special on the day, then Titans and Canberra and now Newcastle.

If hasler or Stuart for that matter coach us those games how many do we lose ?

Also do we let 22 points in v manly in 15 mins ?

mickeylane

Bench
The
Sorry Mickey, you make some points to ponder but on the whole I think DP is closer to the mark.

My assessment is that our cattle could do significantly better with a decent coach. I doubt we'd win but if you get close enough anything can happen.

There are simply too many obvious signs of poor coaching to support Mary, who I think really cares and works hard but just doesn't have what it takes.
then explain what's happened w CANBERRA w Ricky Stuart or Hasler w Bulldogs - they also had effectively better rosters than we had yet they will miss out on the semis altogether.. U make no sense .. There is no marker that says that we are a better team than we currently are .. This is our best season in the past 5 years .. Don't you think this is as good as it gets.. That the players aRe doing their best and busting their balls each week .. You all are clutching at straws thinking that a better coach could do better w this squad .. My point is the better coaches in Stuart and Hasler, Maguire, Henry, Cleary, are failing miserably - so what makes you think they can do a better job than Mcgregor.. Point is you don't know - U think u know but you don't.. Stop this bullshit that the team is being mis coached! You sound stupid

mickeylane

Bench
So the day we played the dogs they were ordinary yet they beat us, then parra same we're nothing special on the day, then Titans and Canberra and now Newcastle.

If hasler or Stuart for that matter coach us those games how many do we lose ?

Also do we let 22 points in v manly in 15 mins ?
We beat Sharks away, Manly home and away, smash Premiership favourites Penrith do those results mean nothing ? These are major results .. Please see it both ways not just the way you want to see it..