What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you be sacking Trent Barret or even Des Hasler?

epDragon62

First Grade
The

then explain what's happened w CANBERRA w Ricky Stuart or Hasler w Bulldogs - they also had effectively better rosters than we had yet they will miss out on the semis altogether.. U make no sense .. There is no marker that says that we are a better team than we currently are .. This is our best season in the past 5 years .. Don't you think this is as good as it gets.. That the players aRe doing their best and busting their balls each week .. You all are clutching at straws thinking that a better coach could do better w this squad .. My point is the better coaches in Stuart and Hasler, Maguire, Henry, Cleary, are failing miserably - so what makes you think they can do a better job than Mcgregor.. Point is you don't know - U think u know but you don't.. Stop this bullshit that the team is being mis coached! You sound stupid
Cleary is doing a good job if you watch the Tigers' progression.

In your opinion I sound stupid, well, I'll leave it to others to decide who of us sounds stupid.

I don't agree "this is as good as it gets with this squad", there are too many signs of poor coaching that most of us see. Mary lacks imagination and tactical nouse, he is playing blokes who are broken and leaving a proven try scorer on the bench when he not shuffling him around without a chance to build in a position, even when we need to score points.

BTW, everyone of those other coaches has shown ability over several years. Mary has absolutely nothing to hang his hat on except short periods.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
IF .such a big word .nobody knows how we would go with Hasler or Barrett at the helm.its hypothetical .so unless your name is Nostradamus then you have no idea .personally I think if JASON D was the coach I'm sure of one thing KURT MANN for one would not feel like a yoyo .even the bench rotation would make sense .whether that means THE BIG RED V ,would be higher on the ladder nobody knows .but it's nice to dream about what might be .Why the most promising young coach in the country was not given a crack only the old boys club knows the answer to that.

hazzbeen

Bench
IF .such a big word .nobody knows how we would go with Hasler or Barrett at the helm.its hypothetical .so unless your name is Nostradamus then you have no idea .personally I think if JASON D was the coach I'm sure of one thing KURT MANN for one would not feel like a yoyo .even the bench rotation would make sense .whether that means THE BIG RED V ,would be higher on the ladder nobody knows .but it's nice to dream about what might be .Why the most promising young coach in the country was not given a crack only the old boys club knows the answer to that.
Mann oh Mann , and the boys Club which is embedded deeply into the club , and wont change because everyone from Doust down are all in on it . We need help from abroad , SOS HELP.... Overseas dragon can you look out for someone to take over :(

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Mann oh Mann , and the boys Club which is embedded deeply into the club , and wont change because everyone from Doust down are all in on it . We need help from abroad , SOS HELP.... Overseas dragon can you look out for someone to take over :(
I'm sure we would need a crowbar to dislodge them .I'd like to see somebody with passion for our club somebody like Frank Facer would be my selection as C E O.

Walpole

Juniors
Started to write all sorts of disparaging comments about the stupidity of this thread but f**k it, enjoy yourselves fellas, this season's done and dusted. Hopefully Ben Hunt's the second coming of superman otherwise it'll be rinse and repeat for 2018 and 19.

JDHD

Juniors
I'd be sacking Hasler if I was the Dogs and I wouldn't be signing him if I was Doust. Hasler has had 100% control over the Dogs roster and play style and they've absolutely flatlined. Besides, Hasler is death to development systems. Think the juniors don't get a run now? Hasler would ship them all off to the Roosters and Sharks.

I wouldn't have signed Barrett in the first place, all that talk of next super coach after a few consecutive wins was hilarious.

Mary has the best forward pack in the comp and probably one of the three or four worst back lines. Apart from Dugan, Aitken and Widdop (and they all have more off days than on days) we have little speed or power out wide and with Dugan's lack of offense, no danger from the back. Our forward pack is consistently great and keeps us in almost every game BUT every game basically depends on whether the backs can get their act together. If Widdop's having an off day, forget it.

Old Timer

Coach
In all honesty who gives a f**k about anyone else those arguments are just deflections.
Our team has shown it can play football but our coach has failed to get the team to do it consistently.
If people are going to brag about the wins then it is fair to analyse the losses.
If we can beat good sides then obviously the players have some ability however the losses to the rag and tag element of the comp are the issues that need to be understood.
Far too often we capitulate against poor opposition and that is the fault of the coach because if we lost once and then got back on the winning streak the argument quickly goes away.
However when we lose consistently, do the same dumb shit things consistently, pick the shit players consistently and play the same way consistently so the coach is where the buck stops.
The argument whether Hassler or others will do a better job is incorrect in the first instance and the correct things to understand is our coach cannot get the team to fire consistently especially when we all know the team has the capability to do much better overall, so therefore he can't do it so see you later get a job elsewhere.
Letting him stay is instilling and reinforcing a loser mentality.
We have a badly tuned orchestra and our conductor doesn't know how to wave the wand to get the sweet harmony that is required.
Or another way to look at it is of you are diagnosed with an illness and you can treat it but you will still die from it or you can choose to operate and give yourself a chance at a full recovery which option will you take?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Here are some interesting stats up to rd 21:
The Dragons (team) are:
Points scored: 2nd with 419 points (leader Broncos on 433)
Tries scored: 5th with 72 (leader Manly with 76)
Goals scored: 4th with 65 (leader Broncos with 69)
All runs: 2nd with 3390 (leader Broncos with 3445)
Run metres: 1st with 32313
Try assists: 3rd with 55 (leader Manly with 62)
Tackles: 4th with 6188 (leader Roosters with 6343)
Missed tackles: 16th with 478 (leader Penrith 654) which is a good thing, so actually we are top team here
Line breaks: 1st with 92
Line break assists: equal 1st (with Storm)

Individuals:
Points scored: Widdop 2nd 153 (leader Cleary 168)
Tries scored: Nightingale equal 5th with 12 (leader Johnston on 16)
All runs: JDB 11th with 290 (leader Gallen with 370)
Run metres: McDonald 13th with 2729 (leader Taumalolo 3488)
Try assists: Widdop 4th with 15 (leader DCE with 18)
Tackles: McInnes 1st with 917
Missed tackles: McCrone 13th with 61 (leader Koroisau with 94)
Line breaks: Nightingale 16th with 11 (leader Rapana with 19)

Of the 10 categories we are:
top team in 4 - Run metres. Missed tackles, Line breaks and Line break assists
2nd in 2, 3rd in 1, 4th in 2 and 5th in one other!

So where does it all go wrong for us?

Your way way off the mark.. The team is nothing more than a top 8 team - if you really think they can win the comp then you are truely delusional my friend.. This team is sitting where it belongs in the bottom half of the 8 with a view of building a roster over the next 3 years that will challenge for a title.. Ffs we are playing without a recognised halfback all year - Mcgregor has not failed yet - and if ur going to disagree with
Coyne.
Johnston
Doust
Who are the heirarchy and who reappointed Mcgregor then feel free to drop them a note and tell them they're f**ked and docile and have no idea - you like all of us are just dumb pundits who are passionate about a team - don't think for once instance you have a clue of what your talking about - the professionals of the club have made their decision and we as dumb pundits have to go with their decision because obviously they see something we are not seeing and thAt gives me confidence..
The only delusional one is you champ.
Did you even read my post or did you skim it before starting to spout more nonsense?
Where did I say that we can win the comp given the current state of affairs?
If you think that we need a "recognised" halfback to be successful then why don't we need a "recognised" coach?
Have you even read McGregor's CV and previous experience?
If Coyne, Johnston and Doust were responible for McGregor's appointment then they are culpable.
Before you mouth off at me, check out what the criteria for the FG coaching position is for clubs like Canterbury, Canberra, Penrith, Cronulla, Cowboys etc. - not to mention Melbourne and Brisbane - and compare it to St. George and McGregor's appointment.
Call me clueless a "dumb pundit" or anything you want but if you compare our situation with other clubs, it is a total farce.
The sooner you wake up to the fact that we (the clueless fans) are subject to a massive compromise the sooner you will stop writing this tripe.

Here are some interesting stats up to rd 21:
The Dragons (team) are:
Points scored: 2nd with 419 points (leader Broncos on 433)
Tries scored: 5th with 72 (leader Manly with 76)
Goals scored: 4th with 65 (leader Broncos with 69)
All runs: 2nd with 3390 (leader Broncos with 3445)
Run metres: 1st with 32313
Try assists: 3rd with 55 (leader Manly with 62)
Tackles: 4th with 6188 (leader Roosters with 6343)
Missed tackles: 16th with 478 (leader Penrith 654) which is a good thing, so actually we are top team here
Line breaks: 1st with 92
Line break assists: equal 1st (with Storm)

Individuals:
Points scored: Widdop 2nd 153 (leader Cleary 168)
Tries scored: Nightingale equal 5th with 12 (leader Johnston on 16)
All runs: JDB 11th with 290 (leader Gallen with 370)
Run metres: McDonald 13th with 2729 (leader Taumalolo 3488)
Try assists: Widdop 4th with 15 (leader DCE with 18)
Tackles: McInnes 1st with 917
Missed tackles: McCrone 13th with 61 (leader Koroisau with 94)
Line breaks: Nightingale 16th with 11 (leader Rapana with 19)

Of the 10 categories we are:
top team in 4 - Run metres. Missed tackles, Line breaks and Line break assists
2nd in 2, 3rd in 1, 4th in 2 and 5th in one other!

So where does it all go wrong for us?
This is a very revealing post. Thanks for doing this analysis.
It totally supports that we are losing games despite our stats being so strong.
It is because we are poorly coached - a combination of lack of experience and aptitude.
The Newcastle game is a classic example.

We beat Sharks away, Manly home and away, smash Premiership favourites Penrith do those results mean nothing ? These are major results .. Please see it both ways not just the way you want to see it..
We just lost to Newcastle ffs and were jammy lucky not to lose to them the first time we played them.
Butt those results up against those "major" results and you have nothing to brag about.

Sorry Mickey, you make some points to ponder but on the whole I think DP is closer to the mark.

My assessment is that our cattle could do significantly better with a decent coach. I doubt we'd win but if you get close enough anything can happen.

There are simply too many obvious signs of poor coaching to support Mary, who I think really cares and works hard but just doesn't have what it takes.
Thank you for making a really important point.
No one doubts McGregor's work ethic or his love for the club.
At the end of the day, he did not appoint himself.

possm

Coach
I hear you loud & clear mate. It's a crying shame our club has blinkers and earmuffs on.

More like head in the sand with a blindfold and ear plugs. I don't just blame the coach although it is hard to imagine why it took Mary so long to select Dufty even though we lacked speed in the team and even though Dugan was injured.

It seems that it is OK for McCrone to repeat the same mistakes each week that costs us a win or in some cases nearly costs us a win.

I don't understand why Lafai continues to lose possession by passing the ball to no one when he finds himself in an impossible position. You would think the coach would pull him up after the first time however, it seems the coach is not worried by this because it happens regularly these days.

Dugan at centre certainly stiffened things up in defence and he was much stronger than anyone we've played in that position all year. This week it was not the outside backs who fell short, it was the forwards who let us down and as a result our halves fell apart without room to move.

To me McInnes is tired and not able to put in 80 min. right now. It is time to put McCrone on the bench as the utility and in the hooker rotation. Mann at halfback is the way to go however, McInnes and McCrone must be instructed to send the ball his way; not avoid passing the ball to him especially on the last tackle. Dugan at right centre can be a weapon if he receives quality ball and is instructed to run straight. Same goes for Lafai. Dufty needs to feed off the back of breaks made by the forwards and outside backs.

possm

Coach
Cleary is doing a good job if you watch the Tigers' progression.

In your opinion I sound stupid, well, I'll leave it to others to decide who of us sounds stupid.

I don't agree "this is as good as it gets with this squad", there are too many signs of poor coaching that most of us see. Mary lacks imagination and tactical nouse, he is playing blokes who are broken and leaving a proven try scorer on the bench when he not shuffling him around without a chance to build in a position, even when we need to score points.

BTW, everyone of those other coaches has shown ability over several years. Mary has absolutely nothing to hang his hat on except short periods.
With Hunt as halfback, Dufty at fullback, a new top line prop to replace Packer and possibly a fit Aitken or a new young centre, I believe we have the squad to make the top 4 in 2018. We need Robson on the bench and Mann on the left wing. Nightingale and Macdonald can fight it out for the right wing spot.

Most of all we need new coaching staff. What we have now is just not up to it.