Would you like same-sex marriage legalised?

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by DC_fan, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Would you like same-sex marriage legalised?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2017.
  1. No

17 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Yes

74 vote(s)
    77.9%
  3. Not sure

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

It seems one way or another a decision is coming. Just wondering what people here think of the matter. Being such a highly charged topic people may not want to comment. So just post your vote.

2. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

needs more options

butchmcdick and Bandwagon like this.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

In the absence of a 'does anyone really care anymore?' option I've gone for yes

Bandwagon likes this.
  4. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

I dont mind, my sister is gay so it would be nice for her but I think there has to be concessions on both sides.

I think there should be some sort of opt out register that is publicly available for religious institutions that do not want to hold such a ceremony due to religious beliefs - that's fine with me, I don't think we should be enforcing everyone to comply with it. People are entitled to their beliefs as long as it doesn't encroach on another's freedoms and that goes both ways imo.

I think for mine the bigger question is, what would or should happen if we theoretically held a referendum and it was voted down. What then?

Life's Good and The Charlatan like this.
  5. Mong

Mong Immortal

Such as?

6. Spanner in the works

Spanner in the works Bench

Yes. Stop spending inordinate amounts of time on this and just get it done. Feel like we've been seriously talking about this for 15 years, which is 14 years too long, and the appetite is there for change.

Wish we had spent 15 years talking about federation reform; IR reform; tax reform; education reform; etc.

7. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I voted yes

It's quite amusing how hamstrung turnbull is on the issue though. The perception he is a wuss is killing the liberals based on that focus group from the other day and this topic makes him look like a big ole wuss

Pantherjim. likes this.
  8. Danish

Danish Referee

Seems an easy one to me. Should be legal.

I guess if we are expanding in it like mogsheen then I don't see any need for churches, mosques, or any religious organisations to be forced to perform gay weddings. That's up to the religious organisation to decide themselves. I haven't been to a church wedding in 6-7 years anyway (about 8-9 weddings in that time) so I doubt that would come up as an issue too often

9. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

I just tend to think those that opt out will eventually face community oppression and will either change to reflect modern social values or they'll become irrelevant to all but their most hardcore supporters who'll always be there regardless.

10. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Obviously dumbo religious nutters shouldn't have to marry anyone in a church.

We should be at least a little respectful to the beliefs of those retards

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Correct

Capitalism at work

12. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

Just do it, all bastards deserve the prospect of the "shit hitting the fan" marriage breakup. Within a decade they will be saying, please take this right back.:p

Smack likes this.
  13. Twizzle

Twizzle The Alpha Male Staff Member

Its only a matter of time till it is legalised. Why not just save the tax payers some money and have a parliamentry vote.

14. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

"As a foreign refugee who can live here without a visa I'll exercise my right to abstain from voting and resort to making sarcastic remarks about it in a Rugby League forum"

15. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Why the secret ballot?

16. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

It is only secret if you want it to be. If you want to make public your vote you can by just stating it.

17. Danish

Danish Referee

I doubt people will see the need to pressure religious institutes, if for no other reason than the people who'd be most likely to lead the charge for such a change would never want to infringe on the beliefs of a certain religion.

But hey, if an organisation can't maintain members because the amount of people who keep their traditions is dwindling, that's no ones fault really

18. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

I've made it abundantly clear in the past that I'm pro SSM.

19. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

Disagree, you will have militant lgbtqasfdsdf people badgering churches and institutions. you only have to see how vegans crusade against meateaters, and that's only a lifestyle choice not a spiritual one.

20. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

To be serious i think its ridiculous to force your views on anyone. Its a two way street and we all should be understanding of each other.

Religious people will have to live with gay marriage being the law of the land. Us non religious people have to live with the fact some people oppose gay marriage and those churches have every right to do so.

As much as possible we should let people do as they will. Sometimes the government needs to step in but people on the left who want the government to force churches into marrying gays need a kick up the arse.