What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWF 2002 - Best roster ever?

Valheru

Coach
I’m currently watching WWF/E 2002 for the first time since 2002. Obviously the influx of talent post WCW precipitated the original brand split in March 2002 but it is really dawning on me how much talent they had on the roster and for me it is the best roster in the history of professional wrestling.

As of January 1 2002 the active roster looked something like this.

Steve Austin

The Rock

Chris Jericho

Kurt Angle

The Undertaker

Kane

Big Show

Booker T

RVD

Dudley Boyz

Edge

Chrisitian

Hardy Boyz

APA

William Regal

Trish Stratus

Lita

On top of that there were of course a number of lower mid carders and jobbers like Tajiri, Test, Lance Storm etc.

That is a loaded roster by anyone’s standards but it was about to get better because throughout 2002 the following names would either return from injury or come in to the company

Ric Flair

HHH

Eddie Guererro

Chris Benoit

Hulk Hogan

Kevin Nash

Scott Hall

HBK

Rey Mysterio

Scott Steiner

John Cena

Randy Orton

Batista

I am sure there are others I am missing. Obviously there is no single point of 2002 when all these names were active, I think the closest from memory is July/August 2002 when everyone apart from Batista, Steiner, Scott Hall and possibly Steve Austin depending on when we got fired were active.

So the question is, ensuring that you consider where everyone was at the time in their respective careers, was WWF/E 2002 the best professional wrestling roster in history or are there other strong nominations?

Hawkins

Juniors
WWF 1987 - 1993.

Hogan, Hart, HBK, Savage, Flair, Roberts, Steamboat, Piper, Taker, Warrior, Million Dollar Man, Andre, Bulldog

2002 was a transitional year for the WWE. Guys like Austin and Rock were winding up, and it also saw the debut of Orton, Batista, Lesnar & Cena just to name a few. They also had all the WCW guys who made the jump (Hall, Nash, Hogan, DDP, Booker) with a line up of dream matches to be had, but the booking was poor for the most part. A lot of the top guys over the next few years had their pushes start here (Edge, Eddie, Rey, Benoit, Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Batista).

InFlames

Juniors
On paper that is an incredible roster.
That being said, while they are all together so many of those wrestlers were either past their prime or rookies, its hard to say it was the best roster ever.

For me, a truly great roster entertains you from low card to mainevent without checking your phone or getting up. I still honestly think WCW circa 97 ticks that box and then some.

Iafeta

Referee
Late 97 WCW

Hollywood Hogan
Bret Hart
Sting
Kevin Nash
Scott Hall
Diamond Dallas Page
Goldberg
Ric Flair
Eddy Guerrero
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
The Giant
Curt Hennig
Scott Norton
Rey Mysterio Jr
Psychosis
Raven
Lord Steven Regal
La Parka
Chaco Guerrero Jr
Davey Boy Smith
Alex Wright
Buff Bagwell
Disco
Lex Luger
Kidman
Saturn
Ray Traylor
Konnan
Syxx
Hugh Morrus
Juventud Guerrera
Dean Malenko
Roddy Piper
Greg Valentine
Bobby Eaton
Mortis
Wrath
Fit Finlay
Rick Martel

Tag teams

The Steiners
Harlem Heat
Public Enemy
Faces of Fear
High Voltago
Villanos

Then you had the dudes who came from international promotions for tours

Masahiro Chono
Yuji Nagata
The Great Muta
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Ultimo Dragon

___

Juniors
WWE is a rotating door for wrestlers these days. There are too many wrestlers constantly coming in and out, and somehow, WWE has turned to shit given how enormous it has grown. Back in the attitude era, all wrestlers, even mid carders, were appreciated.

Now, the tag team, womens, US, IC titles and World Heavyweight Titles are shit that no one cares about. It's all about the Universal title. Everything else is just a time killer.

Raw going to 3 hours was a dumb move too. It's the same shit as the 2 hour show, except longer.

ECW 1995

Raven
Taz
Sabu
Chris Benoit
Cactus Jack
The Sandman
Tommy Dreamer
The Public Enemy
Dean Malenko
2 Cold Scorpio
The Pitbulls
Terry Funk
The Gangstas
Eddy Guerrero
Chris Jericho
Rey Misterio, jr.
Psychosis
Juventud Guerrera
Stevie Richards
The Steiners
Steve Austin
Konaan
The Eliminators

Iafeta

Referee
That's a great roster. Well balanced. Imagine if they got bank rolled at that point and the stars stayed.