What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XBOX or PS2?

Crippler

Juniors
Jimmyson/Mullins said:
Crippler said:
and Grand theft Auto 3, Vice City and soon the next one San Andreas are exclusive to PS2 and are of highest quality.
WRONG!!! GTA 3 AND vice city are comming to xbox in a double pack very soon :) and MGS2 is on xbox too 8)

where did u hear this?

last I heard Take 2 who makes the game has given exclusive rights to SOny for 5 years.

Crippler said:
Jimmyson/Mullins said:
Crippler said:
and Grand theft Auto 3, Vice City and soon the next one San Andreas are exclusive to PS2 and are of highest quality.
WRONG!!! GTA 3 AND vice city are comming to xbox in a double pack very soon :) and MGS2 is on xbox too 8)

where did u hear this?

last I heard Take 2 who makes the game has given exclusive rights to SOny for 5 years.

Yeah this news is only 2 days old, there was some deal with Take 2 and Sony as u say, I don't know all the details but I do know that Take 2 have confirmed both games are comming to the xbox in a 2 pack soon. There are already some xbox screenshots avalible here and there

ghoti

Bench
Crippler, I believe the exclusitivity rights last for about 12 - 18 months, then they can port it...i could be wrong though.

But, Moffo, there is a huge amount of bias in this forum. There are obviously more X-Box owners than PS2 owners which will affect your decision. My advice to you is to look into a bunch of different sources of information. Make your own decision mate, don't listen to a bunch of bullshit from X-Box and PS2 lovers trying to get you to buy their console. I myself own a PS2, and have had since its release, but I had a Playstation before-hand which was a major factor in that I could use my old games, controllers, etc. Here are a few points that you may find interesting:

- X-Box does, in my opinion, have better graphics and less slow-down, but really, once you're playing you don't notice it. Games like MGS2 and GT3 have been brilliant for PS2 and games such as Splinter Cell and Halo have been great for X-Box...there's not much to split them.

- The PS2 controller is a lot easier to pick up and play, and if you're not fussed about the Dual Shock 2's advantages over the older one you can pick up a control for about 20 bucks each. The S controller for X-Box is though, very good. I rate it about the same as the PS2 controller, but both are very comfortable.

- It depends on how many mates you've got, but the PS2 version of RL supports 8 player, which will be a blast. I recommend getting a multi-tap ( a third party one if u want a cheaper one) and a few cheap PSOne controls so you can bash each other around in Rugby League. Two multi-taps are needed btw for 8 player. X-Box i'm pretty sure is limited to 4 player....but I could be wrong...could someone clarify this?

- The PS2 is currently the highest selling next-gen console in the world, so smaller companies are more likely to release games on the PS2, which is, I assume, the reason GCN misses out on Rugby League due to its lower popularity.

- X-Box live sounds incredible and will be absolutely excellent. I'm assuming this is broadband only as with the PS2 and GCN though, so if you can't afford broadband, don't worry about it. The PS2 network adaptor will stilll be very good on release. It isn't too much different from X-Box live, the only real difference being the afformentioned voice technology. X-Box Live and PS2online will be practically identical and I foresee Sony and Microsoft mimicing each others new features anyway...so in a couple of years they will probably be identical.

- The recently released EyeToy is excellent stuff. Motion capture will be the future of gaming I believe, alongside voice recognition. Mario has said previously that EyeToy technology may be implemented in the next version so you can import a picture of your face into the game for create a player.

Overall, I believe that I have eliminated most of my bias...although X-Box fans will probably have no trouble finding any. :D

My advice to you is to wait until around October to decide, as prices fluctuate. Sony is releasing a new model PS2 soon which is identical to the current model, but it has a quieter fan (which the original had no problems with anyway :? ) and a seperate scanner for the DVD remote so u dont have to use a controller port.

Anyway, make your own decision and try to stay away from forum-goers like me :D, It's one of those decisions where both choices are 100% correct.

Max

sheep

Juniors
Hold you horses dude! Dont get either. There is a new console coming out (see pic), graphics and speed are ment to blow ps2 and xbox out of the water, and just look at it's state of the art design! BTW Mario definately confirmed NRL 2003 will be released on it.

20001119retrogames1.jpg

I agree With Max there make the decision on your own and make it based on info from a range of areas.. But I must disagree with one thing u said max " X-Box Live and PS2online will be practically identical"

Having xbox live myself I have spoken to Americans online who have sony online and xobx live and all of them (so far) have said the PS2 online system is far bellow the quality of xbox live... there are only a hand full of online compatible PS2 games and they lag much more than xbox.

And I'm sorry if i sound like I work for Microsoft but I just want other gamers to enjoy what I am right now :)

***MH***

Bench
Im gettin an XBox when my referee's pay check comes in! Dead or Alive xtreme beach volleyball and gotham racing 2 look heaps slick.

Anonymous

Juniors
get a Ps2 and get Pro Evolution Soccer 3 when it comes out which is the best soccer game ever

Word!
Never a truer word spoken.

If you're a shameless nerd, by all means get an X-Box.

Cupid Stunt

I have PS2, X-Box & GC (I use the excuse of a child in the house, but I dont claim to be a grown-up :lol: ) & at the end of the day all do a job & do it well enough. There are games on any of these systems that I think cant be beat by the others. To pick one system will just be a personal preferance & beyond that I'd look at what system most of your mates have. That way you can expand your library of games in the fastest possible time.

If push comes to shove & their still equal after everything, just ask yourself "Do I want to support the attempts at world domination of Bill through Micro$oft?" :lol:

Moffo

Referee
Cheers men and girls, its been an interesting argument to read

I think it'll ultimately come down to the sort of games that i want to buy, so i guess its off to EB today and a bit of net searching to see what games are coming out on both systems in the near future

Cheers,
Moffo

ReplicatedGod

Juniors
i've been wanting to sell my PS2 as i said earlier, just to buy an Xbox. But now i don't know whether i should. To Sell or To Keep, That is the question....

what do you guys reckon?

i like the ps2 because it has heaps good games on it, but i want an xbox because it supposebly has smoother graphics, it has 5.1 dolby digital, saves money from buying a memory card and supposebly a better dvd player.

ReplicatedGod said:
i like the ps2 because it has heaps good games on it, but i want an xbox because it supposebly has smoother graphics, quote]

I can't beleive some people still say the xbox "Supposebly" has better graphix....

Take Halo it was a release title right...and we all know the graphics of games on consoles gett better over time as developers learn how to maximise the consoles technology...
Halo looks 30 - 40 % better than brand new games on PS2 and the PS2 developers have had like 2 and a hlaf years to out do it but they can't get close!
We still havn't even goten close to seeing what the xbox can do wait for Half life 2 which sony are bringing out on the PS3 cos the PS2 can't run it, Doom 3 whcih can't be brought to PS2 and Halo 2 which is a xbox exclusive... and there are stacks more these are just my faviourates.

incredible_holc

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
If you're a shameless nerd, by all means get an X-Box.

Jimmyson/mullins said:
Take Halo it was a release title right...and we all know the graphics of games on consoles gett better over time as developers learn how to maximise the consoles technology...
Halo looks 30 - 40 % better than brand new games on PS2 and the PS2 developers have had like 2 and a hlaf years to out do it but they can't get close!
We still havn't even goten close to seeing what the xbox can do wait for Half life 2 which sony are bringing out on the PS3 cos the PS2 can't run it, Doom 3 whcih can't be brought to PS2 and Halo 2 which is a xbox exclusive... and there are stacks more these are just my faviourates

Thierry i think you've found your man