What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XXXX GB vs Kiwis Test Match scrapped / Auck Lions to Join NSWRL PL

carlnz

Bench
THE CONTROVERSIAL mid-season test between the Kiwis and Great Britain has been scrapped after the NZRL could not secure NRL support to send a full- strength team.

A weakened New Zealand was thumped 46-14 last June after NRL clubs blocked releases and NZRL acting chairman Andrew Chalmers said they faced the same scenario again. "More practically, we have a very long tour to the UK at the end of the year anyway," he said.

It's one decision reached by a marathon board meeting on Friday, which closed without coming to a conclusion on the Nathan Fien affair.

There seems to have been other controversies involved at the meeting, with director and former vice-chairman Peter Douglas yesterday rejecting suggestions he had been suspended, saying there had been a "misunderstanding".

]The Fien decision will come next week, but the directors did announce a complete review of all domestic competitions and endorsed Auckland Lions' plans to enter a side in the NRL reserve grade competition.

The Lions will now formally be awarded a place in the New South Wales Premier League later this week subject to some final details of business plan and budget, their chairman Tony Sadgrove said. The NSWRL gave outline approval just hours after the NZRL nodded the idea through.

Chalmers said the NZRL endorsed the plans but would not fund them, leaving the Lions and the Auckland Rugby League to find the expected $800,000 budget.

]The Lions have made their first move by anointing Kiwi coach McClennan as their director of football to oversee all their teams next year. They will advertise for a Premier League coach, with Graeme Norton the likely frontrunner.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
remember those points the Kiwis lost against GB for the win in Christchurch? rule 3.1 of the IRLF charter....about players eligibility, well rule 4 is all about clubs HAVING to release players for test matches. So the NRL clubs are refusing to release players.....double standards?

Again we see Australia playing by two different sets of rules, in other words Australia is a cheat.

playdaball

Bench
The 'test' played at St Helens this year was a shocker. There was no way that the NZ team that took the field should have been called the kiwis.

Will the NZRL do the same thing - i.e. cancel the game if the ESL/ UK clubs do not release players for the ANZAC test?

roopy

Referee
The Lions will mean 20 odd pro players for NZ and PI teams. A great boost for the international game, and not a bad boost for the warriors either.

screeny

Bench
Sam_the_man said:
remember those points the Kiwis lost against GB for the win in Christchurch? rule 3.1 of the IRLF charter....about players eligibility, well rule 4 is all about clubs HAVING to release players for test matches. So the NRL clubs are refusing to release players.....double standards?

Again we see Australia playing by two different sets of rules, in other words Australia is a cheat.
Damn this makes my blood boil.

The blind leading the blind.......in light of grannygate the NZRL should have gone berserk saying the NRL clubs must adhere to RLIF rules and give up their players.

I suspect the NZRL lost heart in the GB Test, especially considering they're touring GB in the winter, but for the RLIF rule book not even to be mentioned let alone invoked so soon after it was thrown at them is just so annoying.

hutch

First Grade
awesome. i never saw the point in new zealand players flying half way around the world for a couple of days, full strangth or not.

NOW PLAY FRANCE!

winnyason

Juniors
tell me is france in another solar system, f**k me.
no use putting them in cotton wool they want in on 2009 quad series, & toulouse sl talk wake up RFL.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Who GB? they should if they want a mid season test.

As for Auckland joining the PL, good news for NZRL.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Without ever having seen a Bartercard Cup match before, for anyone who has would it be fair to say that it is of a similar standard to the Jim Beam Cup? If so then the news of Auckland joining the NSW Premier League is awesome. Perhaps it would be something that a Wellington based side might consider in the future?

bender

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Without ever having seen a Bartercard Cup match before, for anyone who has would it be fair to say that it is of a similar standard to the Jim Beam Cup? If so then the news of Auckland joining the NSW Premier League is awesome. Perhaps it would be something that a Wellington based side might consider in the future?

I think Bartercard is a little over the Premier league Standard and just under the Qld Cup Standard.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I've seen plenty of Bartercard games, not that many Jim Beam or Qld cup...but if i had to compare it i'd agree what bender says, just above JB and just below QLD though i think Mt Albert and Canterbury could both foot it in the QLD cup.

ozbash

Referee
THE CONTROVERSIAL mid-season test between the Kiwis and Great Britain has been scrapped after the NZRL could not secure NRL support to send a full- strength team.

Does this mean the NZRL is entering puberty ? I will be fully convinced they have grown some nads when they tell the NRL to go and get f**ked, they (the NRL) ARE NOT THE KIWI SELECTORS !!