What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

thorson1987

Coach
After the past month I'll gladly take a point against Chelsea.

Was good to see something resembling the way we were before the new year.

Good to see Migs make up for his f**k up with the free kick by stopping the penalty.

Agree with Nick too, Mane should have come on a bit earlier.

Massive difference in the crowd noise too.

saint.nick

Coach
After that we're definitely not winning the league though. I mean, in terms of chasing the title, it's a bad point, but in terms of finishing top 4, it ain't bad.

thorson1987

Coach
After that we're definitely not winning the league though. I mean, in terms of chasing the title, it's a bad point, but in terms of finishing top 4, it ain't bad.

Arsenal and tottenham dropping points is good.

If city win their next game they will be equal on points with us but we have a superior goal difference.

Hopefully the team gains alot of confidence out of today.

saint.nick

Coach
Arsenal and tottenham dropping points is good.

If city win their next game they will be equal on points with us but we have a superior goal difference.

Hopefully the team gains alot of confidence out of today.
I think the game showed that they've rediscovered their confidence a bit. Means nothing if they don't win at Hull though.

I don't understand the argument that Klopp made the right choice with Mane, because 'he was just in a tournament'. So what? If Senegal were still in it and had to play today, he'd be ready to go. But nah, just because he had to fly to England, he's not ready? It's not like he flew in cattle class, he was pampered in a private jet for f**k's sake.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
He may have been pampered as you put it, but it's still more travel and facing the Premiership leaders 2 days after a massively emotional game in the middle of Africa.

He had no preparation with the side and that is more than enough of an excuse to give him limited mins in my opinion.

We've clearly missed Manè so I think people are putting so much on his inclusion straight away as to solving all our problems. Facing Chelsea in a side lacking confidence and momentum is a lot more different than facing the likes of Algeria, Egypt and others at the AFCON.

cb4

First Grade
I think the game showed that they've rediscovered their confidence a bit. Means nothing if they don't win at Hull though.

I don't understand the argument that Klopp made the right choice with Mane, because 'he was just in a tournament'. So what? If Senegal were still in it and had to play today, he'd be ready to go. But nah, just because he had to fly to England, he's not ready? It's not like he flew in cattle class, he was pampered in a private jet for f**k's sake.
The original private jet didn't make it, so he had a different flight.
Travelling continent to continent in different climate conditions would be dangerous.

Klopp and the medical staff made the right call not to start him, but the wrong call to leave him on the bench so long.

saint.nick

Coach
The original private jet didn't make it, so he had a different flight.
Travelling continent to continent in different climate conditions would be dangerous.

Klopp and the medical staff made the right call not to start him, but the wrong call to leave him on the bench so long.
Oh, right.

Well I agree, the decision to bench him I don't mind at all. Like you, I just don't see any life or death difference between playing 15 minutes and playing at least 25.

saint.nick

Coach
I will say it again, Klopp's lost the plot. I know this is a cliche, but insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The blueprint for a struggling lower-table team to beat Liverpool should not be so f**king simple and effective! Bar Bournemouth, every single f**king loss is a carbon copy, it's like 2017 has been one single game on repeat! If having 20% of possession is a surefire way to beat Liverpool then we have got absolutely major problems.

He can start by dropping Can and then selling him in the summer. Ever since this guy's entered the fold, Liverpool have been ponderous, slow and low-energy, because that is exactly what Emre Can is. You can't have all this possession and expect to do anything meaningful with it when f**king Emre Can is pulling the strings in midfield. Seriously, it's a disgrace that Can won a spot over Wijnaldum despite the performance Gini had against Chelsea.

I will say it again, Klopp's lost the plot. I know this is a cliche, but insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The blueprint for a struggling lower-table team to beat Liverpool should not be so f**king simple and effective! Bar Bournemouth, every single f**king loss is a carbon copy, it's like 2017 has been one single game on repeat! If having 20% of possession is a surefire way to beat Liverpool then we have got absolutely major problems.

He can start by dropping Can and then selling him in the summer. Ever since this guy's entered the fold, Liverpool have been ponderous, slow and low-energy, because that is exactly what Emre Can is. You can't have all this possession and expect to do anything meaningful with it when f**king Emre Can is pulling the strings in midfield. Seriously, it's a disgrace that Can won a spot over Wijnaldum despite the performance Gini had against Chelsea.

Can played ok against Chelsae, but all reports are he was horrid against Hull. The pundits on ES{PNFC agreed with you regarding Can being selected over Wijnaldum. Makes no sense. As I said earlier in the week, Can should be off to the U/23s to try and find some form rather than playingh firsts.

saint.nick

Coach
Can played ok against Chelsae, but all reports are he was horrid against Hull. The pundits on ES{PNFC agreed with you regarding Can being selected over Wijnaldum. Makes no sense. As I said earlier in the week, Can should be off to the U/23s to try and find some form rather than playingh firsts.
Playing 'okay' is the best that Can will achieve, he will never have a spectacular game.

A stint in the U23's won't make any difference. It won't suddenly iron out massive flaws that he has exhibited ever since he signed for Liverpool.

Like many of Klopp's other recent decisions, Can > Wijnaldum is a huge WTF. What on earth did Klopp think that Can would contribute in trying breaking down a parked bus? Does he not watch how poor the guy is?! How does he expect to break these teams down by playing the team's slowest midfielder?! What the hell has Gini done to deserve being dropped? He is smarter than Can and is quicker than Can. Liverpool's Autumn/early Winter midfiled trio worked absolutely fine and Klopp has dismantled it for absolutely no logical reason.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Kev Stewart from the under 23's would do a much better job than Can is doing at the moment. Straight swap and bring Kev into the holding role and move Hendo forward with Lallana in a midfield 3 if that's what we're going to continue with.

At least Stewart holds his position and can break up play, also makes sensible passes and always Presents himself as an option in the midfield.

saint.nick

Coach
Kev Stewart from the under 23's would do a much better job than Can is doing at the moment. Straight swap and bring Kev into the holding role and move Hendo forward with Lallana in a midfield 3 if that's what we're going to continue with.

At least Stewart holds his position and can break up play, also makes sensible passes and always Presents himself as an option in the midfield.
From 1st in November to 5th in February. We shouldn't even laugh at Arsenal because we're way f**king worse.

saint.nick

Coach
I'm starting to believe that even for all of Klopp's mistakes in 2017, the problem goes a lot deeper. In this squad there is a large deficit of real 'men'. What I mean by 'men' is players who will roll their sleeves up and get the job done, no matter what, not pampered millionaires who solely rely on motivation to put in a decent shift - motivation that is not always there, no matter who it is. The only players who seem to have that attitude are Henderson and arguably Firmino. But even if you had a team of Hendersons, it's still not enough because it still lacks a big, galvanising personality to berate the team when things are not functioning the way they're supposed to be. The kind of player who strikes respectful fear into his team mates, e.g. Terry, Keane, Vieira, Carra, Drogba, Ronaldo, Zlatan. They all possess an unwavering swagger that pushes the rest of the team.

So, even for Klopp's tactical mistakes in 2017, I can't help but feel that if Liverpool had a much healthier quantity of the personality I'm talking about, they'd be able to find an extra gear and a way to win. They will think, 'yes, we may not have any width, but this is f**king Hull, and surely there must still be a way past this team'. The big personalities will say this, and consequently their passes will be quick and accurate, their movement will be logical, their tackling will be aggressive, and their finishing will be clinical.

For me, this is a consequence of negligent oversight by the scouting department, they haven't identified enough players with that kind of attitude seemingly because they'd underestimated its importance. It's not made easier by the fact less of them exist, but they are still out there.