What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

Foz

Bench
Pretty good performance this morning.
Can't understand how we can make a team like Spurs look like a 3rd Division side but get rolled by the likes of Hull and Wolves.
Well I can really.Spurs we're stupid enough to attempt to play football against us at Anfield.They should've parked the bus.

cb4

First Grade
f**k this team is annoying. So annoying.
Now we will lose to Leicester to keep the balance up.

saint.nick

Coach
f**k me, the wonders of having the Hendo/Lallana/Gini trio back in midfield. Gini was a close second for MOTM.

saint.nick

Coach
That pass for the 1st goal was f**king sublime.
Hopefully it means the end of his little Can midfield experiment. I also hope he ends the Lucas experiment ASAP, he had a good game today but he will still struggle in many others. But the long rest before the trip to Leicester is very welcome, they'll have no excuses for supposed fatigue.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Hopefully it means the end of his little Can midfield experiment. I also hope he ends the Lucas experiment ASAP, he had a good game today but he will still struggle in many others. But the long rest before the trip to Leicester is very welcome, they'll have no excuses for supposed fatigue.

Said it a few weeks back but I'd much prefer Klopp to use Gomez instead of Lucas If he has to.

cb4

First Grade
Gotta be very careful when a youngster has that long out with a knee injury that had set backs. Gomez now, in theory, should be used sparingly with a look for games next year.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Gotta be very careful when a youngster has that long out with a knee injury that had set backs. Gomez now, in theory, should be used sparingly with a look for games next year.

Yeah that's true, maybe rushing it a little. Think Gomez has a bright future at CB with us.

Yes but it is not as though Liverpool have a lot of game between now and the end of the season. He returned to full training in October 2016, and considering we have week/s between matches till the end of the season, now is the time to start using him for a game or two (presuming he is fully fit).

One thing though, the next transfer window the hierarchy at LFC need to get busy. This season has reinforced we have some quality players, but not much outside the starting 11. We really need to fill out the squad with more depth but also with quality too. We need quality players in certain positions (e.g. left back, striker, wing) to make up for deficiencies in the squad, whilst we also need some more depth (e.g. centre back, right back). We don't need to see a lot of signings which are "for the future" or solely "for depth".

saint.nick

Coach
I understand, but he returned to full training ages ago, and even played a full game against Wolves. Just how long does it actually need to take? It's not like Wolves would have been a relatively soft game, they were a championship team who used physicality to even it up.

saint.nick

Coach
Yes but it is not as though Liverpool have a lot of game between now and the end of the season. He returned to full training in October 2016, and considering we have week/s between matches till the end of the season, now is the time to start using him for a game or two (presuming he is fully fit).

One thing though, the next transfer window the hierarchy at LFC need to get busy. This season has reinforced we have some quality players, but not much outside the starting 11. We really need to fill out the squad with more depth but also with quality too. We need quality players in certain positions (e.g. left back, striker, wing) to make up for deficiencies in the squad, whilst we also need some more depth (e.g. centre back, right back). We don't need to see a lot of signings which are "for the future" or solely "for depth".
Yeah the key thing is looking for players that can either improve the team or at least give current starting players a big run of their money. The problem is many fans don't realise that it's impossible to achieve that with haste. They throw their arms in the air about why this wasn't achieved in August, with the implication that we should've bought, what, at least 12 players in that window? And they are equally naive with their expecations for the January window. It's really hard to sign players for the role of *competitive* squad depth when players only typically move in January for more regular football. They'll point to the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge as proof it can be done, but they were signed as immediate starters, which made it a lot easier to lure them in.

cb4

First Grade
I understand, but he returned to full training ages ago, and even played a full game against Wolves. Just how long does it actually need to take? It's not like Wolves would have been a relatively soft game, they were a championship team who used physicality to even it up.

It depends on how severe the injury was and what the complications were. Yes, he returned to full fitness 3 months ago, but he was out for 15-16 months on an injury that is usually a 9 month recovery time.

The Wolves game he played big minutes but has not been seen since which means his recovery might have been longer or the soreness might have been more than he could handle.

For a young guy in a position that requires rapid move change and explosive speed, it is better to work around him than try and throw him in straight away.

He also played in the Cup tie against Plymouth Argyle. As such that is 2 full games in the top side. If that does not say "game ready" then what does? I mean why have him on the bench and start Lucas at CB? Makes no sense to me.

saint.nick

Coach
16 days to get ready for the match and they serve up that load of tripe? :mad:
They're f**king infuriating, aren't they? For all of the lack of plan B and etc, the players' group mentality has to be strongly questioned. They should have enough resolve to overcome such teams.

They're f**king infuriating, aren't they? For all of the lack of plan B and etc, the players' group mentality has to be strongly questioned. They should have enough resolve to overcome such teams.

Also with Vardy playing striker, they put Lucas in at CB. Vardy may not have been playing well this season, but he is rather quick whilst Lucas is very slow. I'd love to know what Klopp was thinking with that one.

saint.nick

Coach
Also with Vardy playing striker, they put Lucas in at CB. Vardy may not have been playing well this season, but he is rather quick whilst Lucas is very slow. I'd love to know what Klopp was thinking with that one.
I know, I guess it just depends on how much you agree with cb4''s interpretation of the Gomez recovery management. Cb4 is a physio so he's not just any random opinion. But regardless, Matip should have done a lot better to prevent that. He should have been marking Vardy from the start, and should have been covering Lucas.

But after a bit of reflection, I honestly don't believe tactics and etc are even a secondary issue. The team's problem lies in their pathetically soft nature, and would be faring off far better against these crappy teams if they actually had champion determination and resolve. Tactics against these sorts of teams are not a very important concern if your far superior players are hungry and gritty. Tactics are indeed the difference against upper table rivals, but not the cellar dwellers - they should merely be the difference between cruising to victory and grinding to victory. Fergie ground out heaps of victories in his last season, and it wasn't because he had perfect tactics, but because his players made good use of their superior abilities with determination and resolve, hence why they always found a way to win. If they weren't of that character then everyone would have said "oh Fergie is past it, time to retire, he's out of ideas".