What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

Foz

Bench
We paid 20 million for Lovren 2-3years ago?
Could be wrong with the timeline as my memory isn't great but I'm sure Hummels was rumoured to be off to Manure or Bayern either around the same time or a year later for 25 million.
So Hummels 2 years ago(2015 or 2016 anyway) 25 million.DVD (lol that's my spellcheck try VVD)60 million 2017.
How about we give Bayern 60 million and Lovren for Hummels.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
We could've gotten someone like Sulè for half that price last season. He's now at FC Bayern and has the potential to be a mainstay in the German national team and Bayern for a decade.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Would take something special to get someone to move from Bayern. Particularly someone like Mats Hummels

Foz

Bench
We could've gotten someone like Sulè for half that price last season. He's now at FC Bayern and has the potential to be a mainstay in the German national team and Bayern for a decade.

Is it out of left field to sign John Terry for a year or has he retired?
Would solve our set play issues.

cb4

First Grade
I don't understand why Brandt is wanting those assurances. Who does he think he is? So naive. If a big club is very keen on you, accept the opportunity for what it is (a reasonable risk with high reward), and take it or leave it. Wanting to play every week in order to progress himself is all well and good, but don't make those demands to Liverpool because you'll just look like an idiot IMO.

The reason why Brandt has said no to us, and the reason he wants to be playing week in, week out, is the world cup.
He is a fringe German player and wants to break into the team, and if he isn't playing he won't make the squad.
Good call by him, and good call by us, he isn't a player we need.

Mo Salah now is a good call even if we are paying double than when we last tried to sign him. He has been fantastic in the Serie A. 15 goalls, 11 assists and 50 goal contributions in the last 2 seasons.
Since he arrived at Roma, he has created the most chances in the Serie A (134).

He loves playing against a parked bus, he runs direct and behind lines, he will be a good signing. Problem is, we lose him and Mane at the AFCON.

As for VVD, I really want him, but for 60mil and 200k a week you can get better options. Probably get Varane or Diego Godin for that price.

saint.nick

Coach
The reason why Brandt has said no to us, and the reason he wants to be playing week in, week out, is the world cup.
He is a fringe German player and wants to break into the team, and if he isn't playing he won't make the squad.
Good call by him, and good call by us, he isn't a player we need.

Mo Salah now is a good call even if we are paying double than when we last tried to sign him. He has been fantastic in the Serie A. 15 goalls, 11 assists and 50 goal contributions in the last 2 seasons.
Since he arrived at Roma, he has created the most chances in the Serie A (134).

He loves playing against a parked bus, he runs direct and behind lines, he will be a good signing. Problem is, we lose him and Mane at the AFCON.

As for VVD, I really want him, but for 60mil and 200k a week you can get better options. Probably get Varane or Diego Godin for that price.
I totally understand why Brandt wants to play every week, but seeking those assurances from the likes of Liverpool is pointless. I know we're not Real Madrid but we're not Leverkusen either.

Salah excites me too. He is a very direct player and that's exactly what we need. We may be paying double, but the quality of his output has doubled as well. He used to be a bit of an unknown quantity who played in the Swiss league. He's now proven himself in one of Europe's top leagues. AFCON is a bummer, but at least that's 18 months away and we can worry about that later.

The VVD chase may not be over after all, Liverpool Echo are confident that he can be within reach of Liverpool. They think it may not have to take 200k a week to sign him. But it's very peculiar because he supposedly wasn't even a considered target until his agent approached us. It's much like when Wijnaldum's agent approached Klopp and suddenly became a target. Klopp must've had a real lightbulb moment that he didn't anticipate when figuring out how to use Gini when he approached us in the summer.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Salah can get farked for mine..

Had the chance to join us a few years ago where he would of been given every opportunity to succeed. Last minute decides to join Chelsea where he sat on the bench for 2 seasons and stalled his career big time.

Sure he has finally got back on track but he's burned his bridge as far as I'm concerned.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors

Had the chance to join us a few years ago where he would of been given every opportunity to succeed. Last minute decides to join Chelsea where he sat on the bench for 2 seasons and stalled his career big time.

Sure he has finally got back on track but he's burned his bridge as far as I'm concerned.
From memory we didnt even have a fee agreed because we tried our usual lowball tactic. Hard to blame him if thats the case.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
From memory we didnt even have a fee agreed because we tried our usual lowball tactic. Hard to blame him if thats the case.

I could be wrong but from what I remember it was pretty much a done deal and at the last minute Chelsea/Mourinho jumped in and he chose them instead

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
it's possible, could still indicate we were lowballing with wages/payment structures when chelsea said here's the cash and here's your phat contract.

i'd still take him. i'd take sterling back too for a reasonable price. fans can be won over with good performances.

Jack_Napier

Staff member

Brendan Rodgers is to blame for that transfer not salah. We put the offer forward he was considering it, Rodgers then went onto say he should feel lucky Liverpool are interested in him and should sign no questions asked. Salah wasn't too happy with that and went to Chelsea.

saint.nick

Coach
it's possible, could still indicate we were lowballing with wages/payment structures when chelsea said here's the cash and here's your phat contract.

i'd still take him. i'd take sterling back too for a reasonable price. fans can be won over with good performances.
What, one good performance in five games?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
No to sterling as well, he still hasn't improved his end product at all. So much so the pep went out and got Bernardo Silva to replace him. Sterling and Aidy Ward can go somewhere else.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
What, one good performance in five games?
Sterling? I don't think hes been great at city and with pep 'spend 300mil a summer best manager in the world' likely to splurge, reckon hes going to find himself on the pine more than anything else.
Might get restless. Wouldn't be a bad option!

Edit: might need a new agent tho, dont think pool will touch ward with a 10ft pole

saint.nick

Coach
Sterling? I don't think hes been great at city and with pep 'spend 300mil a summer best manager in the world' likely to splurge, reckon hes going to find himself on the pine more than anything else.
Might get restless. Wouldn't be a bad option!

Edit: might need a new agent tho, dont think pool will touch ward with a 10ft pole
Not a bad option for what though? If you're talking about off the bench then maybe, but not as a starting player. He was meant to progress at City, but he's still got dogshit crossing and dogshit shooting.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Not a bad option for what though? If you're talking about off the bench then maybe, but not as a starting player. He was meant to progress at City, but he's still got dogshit crossing and dogshit shooting.
Not a bad option as a member of the squad that will get serious minutes.

We would have at least 3 pacey wide players if we bought sterling, assuming salah comes. That offers at least the option of rotation which would be handy playing cl and so on.

saint.nick

Coach
Not a bad option as a member of the squad that will get serious minutes.

We would have at least 3 pacey wide players if we bought sterling, assuming salah comes. That offers at least the option of rotation which would be handy playing cl and so on.
I reckon there's better than Sterling out there for cheaper