What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

saint.nick

Coach
I really hope the club learned its lesson after this window. Hoping for the selling club to invite you into a negotiation deadline day to get your only cb target is just ridiculous

Well Klopp has come out overnight and said that Clyne has an ongoing back injury which is likely to render him unavailable for the bulk of the CL group games, which is why he didn't include him in the squad. Should LFC qualify for the knockout stages, Klopp has said he'll include Clyne in the CL squad then.

saint.nick

Coach
Mmm, not really a fan of all this kneejerk reaction. Liverpool badly lose away at City after getting a red card relatively early on in the game. f**k, well can you imagine my shock!

All this talk about defensive selections, tactics and etc is academic at best. We were losing that game no matter what. To me, what really matters is before the red we were well in it and City arguably had an undeserved lead, that Aguero goal was fkn hard to stomach. A positional f**k up from Klavan and De Bruyne punishes him for it with a needle thread pass. City will do that to everyone. After the red, the players were all shocked and didn't know how to cope, but that doesn't concern me because playing a majority of a game a man down against City is rare as f**k.

Foz

Bench
A game to just forget and move on.
Thought it was the wrong move to hook Salah though.
Whilst his finishing was poor he was giving the fullback a hard time.
Him and Mane looked most likely to at least upset their defence.
I got the feeling Klopp wrote the game off at half time and wanted to try out his new buy.
When you lose a player though you're most likely either going to give a performance showing character or one where you feel it's just not going to happen today.
Think we were the latter.

2 all in the CL against Sevilla at Anfield. Apparently lots of wasted shots on goal by Liverpool, with Firmino missing a penalty kick. We lead 2-1, and then Lovren stuffed up leading to the first Sevilla goal, and Moreno was horrible defensively also. Even Matip made a blunder late in the game which almost lead to a goal. I wonder why Klopp bothered signing Robertson considering he has persisted in using Moreno at LB in all bar one game.

saint.nick

Coach
2 all in the CL against Sevilla at Anfield. Apparently lots of wasted shots on goal by Liverpool, with Firmino missing a penalty kick. We lead 2-1, and then Lovren stuffed up leading to the first Sevilla goal, and Moreno was horrible defensively also. Even Matip made a blunder late in the game which almost lead to a goal. I wonder why Klopp bothered signing Robertson considering he has persisted in using Moreno at LB in all bar one game.
Our defence is a cruel joke, any time the opposition gets beyond our midfield and attacks our back 4, they look certain to fall to pieces.

The defending by Lovren for Sevilla's first goal was abysmal. An innocuous is played on the ground straight towards him, and all he had to do was just boot it away, but he lost his composure, completely missed the ball and slipped over, letting it roll to the unmarked goalscorer right in the 5 yard box. After that you sit there and wonder how the f**k an elite-level CB so easily manages that.

I don't even know what to say for the second goal. It was just another case of the team switching off and the back four having no idea how to confidently deal with opposition attackers directly running at them.

A problem with this team is even if they seem to be in control, they are never too far away from conceding a goal from absolutely nothing. It's shocking and it's embarrassing that it has continued for so long. It's a combination of poor individual players and the players failing to properly cohesively defend as a unit.

saint.nick

Coach
And I don't really buy that Klopp's system exposes the defence too much no matter what. When he won those two straight Bundesligas they only conceded 25 and 22 goals. Defending with that system is fine if all the players know what they're supposed to be doing, if there's leadership, and if the defenders are of a good calibre.

With the way Fergie also played, if he had our back 4 United would have conceded many goals too. It's too hard with players like Lovren who panic at the first sign of trouble, and Matip who can't be bothered making up ground when he gets positionally caught out.

It also doesn't help that our centre backs are distracted by the positional deficiencies of Moreno out wide. FFS, just play Robertson and see how it goes, Moreno's attack has improved this season, and maybe his defence has too, but not substantially enough I'm afraid.

saint.nick

Coach
I think Klopp is trying really hard on the training ground to fix the defensive situation, but when the players run out onto the field they just don't get it. It's encouraging to hear that he wants rid of Lovren and Matip. @cb4 was always right about Matip, he looks good when things are going well and when he's gliding forward on the ball, but his leadership is shithouse and doesn't have the second effort to nullify compromising situations in defence.

As for why he didn't get a plan B? Well, if Liverpool eventually get VVD in the near future will the same fans moaning about no Plan B centre back remember his lack of plan B?

cb4

First Grade
If you go back and look at Dortmunds forums, their frustration was always once Klopp had a target and missed he didn't move on or find another, he just said f**k it.
Its frustrating.
He is the best manager for us, but he needs to wake the f**k up quick smart.

Foz

Bench
I think Klopp is trying really hard on the training ground to fix the defensive situation, but when the players run out onto the field they just don't get it. It's encouraging to hear that he wants rid of Lovren and Matip. @cb4 was always right about Matip, he looks good when things are going well and when he's gliding forward on the ball, but his leadership is shithouse and doesn't have the second effort to nullify compromising situations in defence.

As for why he didn't get a plan B? Well, if Liverpool eventually get VVD in the near future will the same fans moaning about no Plan B centre back remember his lack of plan B?

I'm wondering why he didn't have a plan B in relation to VVD.
I'll still be moaning till we get Lovren and co out of the first team.(that'd be my plan A)
Then again I've been whinging since we signed Lovren.
We need more than just VVD.

On Matip.Hes made errors from day one.
He had a blinder against Arsenal where he was actually caught out a few times but amazingly picked off some passes that on another day would've left us high and dry.
Credit for that game but not convinced.

Said it before should've signed 4 defenders and what did we get?
1 guy who looks promising but doesn't appear to be a first choice.
Must be doing something wrong in training.

Here's a question you guys may have an opinion on.
How many of our defenders would be starters at Chelsea,Manure,City,Spurs and even Everton and Arsenal.

saint.nick

Coach
I'm wondering why he didn't have a plan B in relation to VVD.
I'll still be moaning till we get Lovren and co out of the first team.(that'd be my plan A)
Then again I've been whinging since we signed Lovren.
We need more than just VVD.

On Matip.Hes made errors from day one.
He had a blinder against Arsenal where he was actually caught out a few times but amazingly picked off some passes that on another day would've left us high and dry.
Credit for that game but not convinced.

Said it before should've signed 4 defenders and what did we get?
1 guy who looks promising but doesn't appear to be a first choice.
Must be doing something wrong in training.

Here's a question you guys may have an opinion on.
How many of our defenders would be starters at Chelsea,Manure,City,Spurs and even Everton and Arsenal.
There was probably no plan B because there is no one else out there that is that good. If you get a plan B centre back these days then chances are they won't be any much better than Lovren.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is plenty out there and some much better, we picked up 2 brilliant defenders.

Were you guys just looking for home grown ?

saint.nick

Coach
This is far from a Klopp-out agenda, but he is getting on my nerves.

I was willing to give him a break last season because he never had good options on the bench. Well today he's got two signings that he wanted in Ox and Solanke, yet it takes until the f**kING EIGHTIETH MINUTE to make his first substitutions, despite a whole half of offensive nothingness.

And FFS, stop being so loyal to back-up players like Klavan. He is riddled with mediocrity and has absolutely no upside over players like Gomez.