Yeah nah, Roberts replacement to one nation

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by butchmcdick, Nov 13, 2017.

1. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

THE newest parliamentarian appointed to represent One Nation in the senate has quit the party only an hour after he was sworn in, claiming his relationship with the leader “went to hell in a handbasket”.

The High Court last week announced One Nation candidate Fraser Anning would replace former senator Malcolm Roberts who was ruled ineligible to sit in parliament as a casualty of the dual citizenship saga.

What was behind the One Nation split

Senator Anning was this morning sworn in as a Queensland senator, but there was an indication something was up when One Nation’s newest federal representative arrived at the ceremony flanked by crossbencher David Lleyonhjelm and Cory Bernardi rather than his party colleagues.

Shortly after Senator Anning was officially admitted to the upper house, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson made the shock announcement he had defected from the party.

“One Nation leader and Queensland Senator Pauline Hanson has announced Malcolm Robert’s replacement, Fraser Anning, has abandoned the Party to stand as an independent ‘until something else comes along’,” a statement released on Senator Hanson’s Facebook page read.

But Senator Anning has denied quitting One Nation, saying he was kicked out of the party without notice.

“The next thing I knew, I saw on the TV that I had supposedly become an independent. This was news to me!” Senator Anning told Guardian Australia.

“It seems without even contacting me, Pauline has unilaterally kicked me out of her party.

“I have to say that I’m stunned.”

Now, in a sensational interview, Senator Anning claimed his two-decade friendship with Senator Hanson suddenly went south this morning when the leader indicated she wouldn’t work with four of his staff who had previously worked for Mr Roberts.

“As she knows, I’ve supported her in all her election campaigns,” Senator Anning told The Australian.

“I ran for One Nation in ’98 and my wife and I considered Pauline a close friend, but that all went to hell in a handbasket this morning.

“When I walked into this meeting this morning I was very rudely told that none of my staff were to walk in here.

“That was Pauline. Pauline was on her high horse a bit. She got pretty rude to (chief of staff) David (Goodridge) and said he’ll never come anywhere near me. I’m not sure why.”

In Senator Hanson’s statement, the party leader explained she had doubts about Senator Anning’s loyalty after approaching him to stand in Queensland’s upcoming state election.

“Before the citizenship cloud hovered over Malcolm Roberts’ head, I had already approached Fraser Anning to contest the seat of Gladstone in the upcoming Queensland State election. I was of the view at the time, Fraser would be a solid candidate for that electorate,” Senator Hanson said.

“Mr Anning dismissed the request on the grounds that he and his wife were determined to make a permanent move to the United States to join their two daughters and grandchildren, who own a business venture on the West Coast.”

Senator Hanson said she had attempted to speak with her then colleague about the possibility of him replacing Mr Roberts, but those requests “fell on deaf ears”.

“I was disappointed Mr Anning made no attempt to contact me or any One Nation executive member off the back of multiple requests to discuss his future plans. Instead he chose to release scathing media releases demanding I pledge my support to him without even meeting or speaking to him,” she said.

The party leader said she had barred a number of Senator Anning’s staff members from a Party room meeting on Monday morning. Senator Hanson said during that meeting Senator Anning stood up and said “I know where this is going”, before walking out.

According to Senator Hanson, Senator Anning only told One Nation colleagues minutes before he was sworn in to the Senate that he was abandoning the party.

Also this morning, former Australian Democrat Andrew Bartlett was sworn in to replace former Greens senator Larissa Waters, who resigned in July after finding out she held Canadian citizenship. The High Court also found that she had been ineligible for election.

And Jordon Steele-John, 23, was sworn-in on Monday replacing Scott Ludlam who quit parliament after revealing he was a dual citizen, and therefore ineligible to contest the 2016 election.

The High Court last month booted five members of parliament over section 44 of the Constitution which deals with parliamentarians’ eligibility to be elected. It’s appointed replacements for three out of four senators found to be ineligible.

This afternoon it’s been revealed that Tasmanian independent Senator Jacqui Lambie could be the latest casualty of Section 44.

It’s understood questions over the outspoken Senator’s Scottish heritage could see her resign within 24 hours.

The developments come as the two major parties have struck a deal on how to deal with MP’s citizenship disclosures.

Members of the federal parliament will need to publicly disclose family history and any steps taken to renounce dual citizenships under a motion expected to go to the Senate on Monday.

The federal government has agreed to Labor’s request for a December 1 disclosure date and for more details to be disclosed.

It’s understood the deal was negotiated between cabinet minister Mathias Cormann and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...n/news-story/dfa3a27946b3950f08cedf5992e2eda8

You can't make this shit up

2. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Seems they just use on to get on the gravy train then abandon ship

3. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

It's what I'd do

4. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

It appears kicked off the ship, not jumped.

5. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

or perhaps kicked off the shitty driftwood.

6. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

How many votes did this guy get in the eclection ?

7. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

They should’ve done a pre-nup

8. bazza

bazza Coach

Hanson probably feels more comfortable alone rather than having a bloc of votes that could potentially do something more than complaining

9. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

I can't stand ON but I honestly think it's shitty when politicians do this. Ride the coattails of a major or larger minor party and access their resources to get elected only to jump ship once you make it. It's quite a negative statement to make after being elected on a particular platform.

Surely likes this.
  10. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

butchmcdick likes this.
  11. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

That's fair enough, but the other side of the coin is it merely displays the lack of a cohesive ideology that binds the party members.

12. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Wow

13. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

That;s right Butch....19 more than you....

14. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

I reckon I could get 20 votes

Mr Spock! likes this.
  15. Rabbits20

Rabbits20 Referee

A party like One Nation could get in come 2030 here.....

I feel by then that's the way Australia will vote similar to the US.....

16. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Then you have less faith in your fellow Australians than I do.

There’s a big difference between a one nation protest vote and the farce that is American politics.

Another big thing to note in Australia is inter racial relationships are far more common and the mixed race population is going to sky rocket. That’s not really going to play to one nations hands.
    There’s obviously some people who don’t want to integrate but slowly more and more people are having more diverse social groups, it’s hard to vote for a party who hates your friends.

17. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Big difference is we have compulsory voting.

Also Hanson will be long gone.

Also we saw what happened when these nutters got in in qld.

They aren't a democratic party.it's a dictatorship.

butchmcdick and 2_Smoking_Guns like this.
  18. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

One Nation’s success then in getting 11 candidates elected quickly soured. Two MPs quit during the term. Everyone else defected.

There were many farcical scenes in between, such as the time Tableland’s Shaun Nelson asked Labor’s Jim Fouras to “step outside” for a more robust debate about multiculturalism.

One Nation was already proving a sideshow before Anning’s defection.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s/news-story/410fa45214b647a400dc220b82d68b45

This happened last time one nation had a large presence in the qld parliament

It will happen again

Good times

Mr Spock! likes this.
  19. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Oh hai Alien.

20. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Alien's now pretending to be a Christian......

At least it got him out of the Rabbitohs forum which he's f**ked up.